Technical hybrid oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical hybrid oil leak

sarahgi

My almost new hybrid is leaking oil,the dealer say its from a loose 'plug' in the engine block just behind the fly wheel.It's the second oil leak since the car was new,the sump was replaced a few weeks ago.They recon it's the 3rd car to have the issue with the block leak,so not good.
Never had this happen on a new car before so a bit disappointed.
Just thought i'd mention it so any other hybrid owners may want to check under neath their cars,there is a gap in the under tray where the exhaust is exposed where you can feel through without taking it off.

Can't believe the build quality.This really shouldn't happen these days,reminds me of 1980's Rover.
Having said that i still love the car,hopefully no more issues😞
Have named her...Exxon Valdese😃

That makes you sound 30+ 🤔

I have to agree that oil leakage sounds pretty poor,

Rejecting it does sound like a proper consideration, but of course you've then got a wait for whatever replaces it

Leaky isn't normal for FIAT..
But of course these newer motors haven't had 30 years development

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on your dealers reactions to the problem! if they dont appear to be falling over them selves to make it right for you A S A P! then rejecting it or even the mention of it might "get them on the case" its always a difficult situation! and quite stressful!-I wish you well in yours efforts to get a good resolution!.

To be fair the dealer TJ Vickers in Telford have been on the ball,would recommend them.
Not sure if i'll keep the car now,but too late to reject as now over 6 months old.

Glad to hear this dealer are trying. This is great news. I agree that although made to a budget, Fiats are neither rattle boxes nor rot boxes and reliability seems very good normally. Althogh depressing, if properly fixed, it will be fine. Telling them calmly you are considering rejection if its not fixed quickly and completely might get some haste injected. Also talk to Fiat customer services they do at least try. I have successfully rejected a car once and the dealer involved to their credit did not argeue as the caase was beyond dispute. Im sure they can cope with this if things are really not right.

That makes you sound 30+ 🤔
More like 40+ these days. I was born in the 80s and most people of my age would not know what you're talking about if you mentioned this.
a loose 'plug' in the engine block just behind the fly wheel.
Just be warned any oil in this area can foul the flywheel and clutch leading to more problems further down the road with the clutch.

Last edited:
exactly same problem here with my new 500 hybrid. The garage thought it was the sump plug leaking oil at first but it was still leaking so im now waiting for them to remove the gear box to investigate. Not impressed at all. this is second major problem ive had as a few months after getting it last summer, the clutch pedal completely went meaning it was stuck to floor and I couldnt cnange gear-very scary in middlwe of traffic lights. I love 500s and not had bother with any of my previous ones but really disappointed with this one.

My almost new hybrid is leaking oil,the dealer say its from a loose 'plug' in the engine block just behind the fly wheel.It's the second oil leak since the car was new,the sump was replaced a few weeks ago.They recon it's the 3rd car to have the issue with the block leak,so not good.
Never had this happen on a new car before so a bit disappointed.
Just thought i'd mention it so any other hybrid owners may want to check under neath their cars,there is a gap in the under tray where the exhaust is exposed where you can feel through without taking it off.

Alert to 1.0 hybrid owners, this smells like a recall issue!

I am 99% sure my sister in-law have this oil leak on her nov. 2021, 500 1.0 hybrid. Now 2 years 5 months old! And just a few months out of the 2 year warranty.

Yesterday she was shocked to learn that her car was down ca. 1.5 liter of the only 2.5 liter oil on this engine.

Only at this point, did the warning light for low oil pressure come on, and it was in a roundabout.

This prompted her to check the oil level, learning the oil level was below the dipstick!

She drove to my house, that luck be it, was just around the corner, and we went and picked up a liter of 0W-20, poured it in, and the level went to between the MAX and MIN mark.

No mayonnaise in oil, no white or black smoke and coolant ok. Engine ran fine, The car drove fine.

We took it to my garage, as i have a lift and mechanical experience. (+30 years of Alfa and fiat owner)

Today i spent time under the car with the oil soaked undertray removed, trying to locate the source of this very serious oil leak.

I could not definitely source it, but my impression was, that there were two leaks. One minor leak from a corner of the oil pan, and another and bigger leak from higher up the engine, definitely from around the bell housing (joint/seem of the gearbox and engine)

I took a series of photos, but they are probably not very useful at this point.

I am going to follow through on this one guys! If the leak is from this loose plug inside the block, it is UNACCEPTABLE to transfer the repair cost to owners that are recently out of warranty.

Who knows how long you could be driving around unknowingly with this problem? My gut feeling is 6 months or more is not uncommon.

If anyone has any additional information about this issue please share.

F.ex how much time or how many km driven, does it take to leak 1 or 1.5 liter of oil?

Last edited:

I am 99% sure my sister in-law have this oil leak on her nov. 2021, 500 1.0 hybrid. Now 2 years 5 months old! And just a few months out of the 2 year warranty.

Yesterday she was shocked to learn that her car was down ca. 1.5 liter of the only 2.5 liter oil on this engine.

Only at this point, did the warning light for low oil pressure come on, and it was in a roundabout.

This prompted her to check the oil level, learning the oil level was below the dipstick!

She drove to my house, that luck be it, was just around the corner, and we went and picked up a liter of 0W-20, poured it in, and the level went to between the MAX and MIN mark. We took it to my garage, as i have a lift and mechanical experience. (+30 years of Alfa and fiat owner)

Today i spent time under the car with the oil soaked undertray removed, trying to locate the source of this very serious oil leak.

I could not definitely source it, but my impression was, that there were two leaks. One minor leak from a corner of the oil pan, and another and bigger leak from higher up the engine, definitely from around the bell housing (joint/seem of the gearbox and engine)

I am going to follow through on this one guys! If the leak is from this loose plug inside the block, it is UNACCEPTABLE to transfer the repair cost to owners that are recently out of warranty.

Who knows how long you could be driving around unknowingly with this problem? My gut feeling is 6 months or more is not uncommon.

F.ex how much time or how many km driven, does it take to leak 1 or 1.5 liter of oil?
The garage said my leak was from a loose seal behind the gear box. Incidentally don’t they have to come with 3 year warranties in the uk ? Two years manufacturers and the third year from the retailer.

She drove to my house, that luck be it, was just around the corner, and we went and picked up a liter of 0W-20, poured it in, and the level went to between the MAX and MIN mark. We took it to my garage, as i have a lift and mechanical experience. (+30 years of Alfa and fiat owner)

The garage said my leak was from a loose seal behind the gear box. Incidentally don’t they have to come with 3 year warranties in the uk ? Two years manufacturers and the third year from the retailer.

Poster appears to be Danish.. 🤔

And the 3rd year was always a bit "reduced" in cover..
IF it's your 3rd car from them, and they get the servicing tasks.. They may be more helpful

HI, 🙂
Considering these motors started in South America @10 years ago, and have been in Europe for @5..

I don't think it's that high a failure rate, 🙂

The 500x had high and low output variant,
(the 500 and Panda seem to ONLY use this engine in the last 18 months..?)

That is A LOT of cars,

Not seen many failures reported on here.. 🤔

Worth chasing this with your regional FIAT distributor see if they will contribute to costs

2 years warranty in Denmark. The new Stellantis Distributor fired all the experienced Fiat dealers and authorised workshops as of jan 1st 2023. Total chaos ensued. They then delayed it by i think 6 months, but still, what we are left with here in Denmark, is a bunch of Peugeot and Citroen dealers, who don’t have a clue about Fiats, and frankly don’t need the hassle or business of Fiats.

My sister in-law let the local Peugeot dealer (now also fiat dealer with the impressive stock of one used 500e on the showroom floor) work a problem with the start/stop battery, all done under warranty.

It took them 3 months to change the battery, and they kept the car a total of 9 days over 3 times. No free loaner. They are clueless!

Last edited:
HI, 🙂
Considering these motors started in South America @10 years ago, and have been in Europe for @5..

I don't think it's that high a failure rate, 🙂

The 500x had high and low output variant,
(the 500 and Panda seem to ONLY use this engine in the last 18 months..?)

That is A LOT of cars,

Not seen many failures reported on here.. 🤔

Worth chasing this with your regional FIAT distributor see if they will contribute to costs
Well i politely reject your theory. Any proven mechanical plaftform can be corrupted (periodically) by a faulty component, like a plug, inside the engine block, who over time or use, becomes loose and cause a leak. This would (should) trigger a recall for a specific series of cars affected. Getting a car giant to issue a recall, or assume repair costs, is not done by owners thinking like you do. Car makers will slow walk and deny a (especially non-safety) problem as long as possible.

The car, a special order color and options, was ordered autum 2021 and delivered mid. november 2021. I will try to find exact build date.

I believe all fossil 500’s for Europe, have been assembled in Poland for the past many years?

Last edited:
Back