Technical Selespeed selector positioning

Currently reading:
Technical Selespeed selector positioning

Morini nut

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have just undertaken a rebuild of my Duologic Selespeed unit replacing all the seals. I took the unit out in with the car in neutral and on rebuilding the Selespeed unit I wonder how I set the selector positions for neutral. Is there a set rotation and longitudinal position on the actuator for neutral so that when I install it it selects and identifies on the dash the correct gears. I installed it once and when I engaged drive it identify 2nd gear on the dash and was actually in reverse!!! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Have you done the software calibrations? In particular the end-of-line calibration (what MES calls a Production/Service final calibration)? Though this should be preceded by clutch bleed and enabling clutch self-calibration.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. No, I am using an XTool D7 scanner and it has enabled me to do the clutch bleed. It has a learning function but it needs to drive forwards for that I presume and I could only engage reverse. Do I need to get hold of a different diagnostics tool? MES?
Does this then calibrate it whilst stationary? Regards, Andy

As an aside, I recently watched a wheeler dealers programme they had a Maserati that they sent the selespeed unit to a company down south to repair maybe they could do a fiat unit as Fiat own Maserati ?
Roberts Aerospace were probably involved.. As they got masses of work from previous Maserati TV work

They were at Boarhunt, not a million miles from Portsmouth

Hi. Thanks for the reply. No, I am using an XTool D7 scanner and it has enabled me to do the clutch bleed. It has a learning function but it needs to drive forwards for that I presume and I could only engage reverse. Do I need to get hold of a different diagnostics tool? MES?
Does this then calibrate it whilst stationary? Regards, Andy
For a 500 (unlike an older 169 Panda) you should be able to do all the calibrations stationary. It may be your tool only supports the older ECUs. Multiecuscan is worth having anyway if you are doing reasonably involved work on any Fiat, it's only EUR 50 and the likes of Gendan Ltd sell all the cables etc.

For a 500 (unlike an older 169 Panda) you should be able to do all the calibrations stationary. It may be your tool only supports the older ECUs. Multiecuscan is worth having anyway if you are doing reasonably involved work on any Fiat, it's only EUR 50 and the likes of Gendan Ltd sell all the cables etc.
Many thanks. I’ll put the unit back in when the weather improves and try to do the calibration.

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I have just undertaken a rebuild of my Duologic Selespeed unit replacing all the seals.

Wow! and well done.

There are very few garages that would take a job like this on, and even fewer that would make a success of it.

I've noted that seal kits are available on the internet, and always thought this should be possible in a home garage by someone with decent facilities and knowledge, so it's good to hear from someone who's actually done it.

You should now be giving advice on this forum, not asking for it!!

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Wow! and well done.

There are very few garages that would take a job like this on, and even fewer that would make a success of it.

I've noted that seal kits are available on the internet, and always thought this should be possible in a home garage by someone with decent facilities and knowledge, so it's good to hear from someone who's actually done it.

You should now be giving advice on this forum, not asking for it!!
Ha, Lol and thank you. I watched a YouTube tear down (although the guys head was in the way on some of it). I bought some seal picks and did it in sections reassembling after each section (pump/ actuators/clutch piston /selector rotation slider pistons/ rest of body) and reassembled after each. Slow and methodical it wasn’t difficult. Seams as though I just need to master the software resetting on my XTool D7 or find out where to purchase the software (or pay a garage).
I have a spare car so treating it as an education project😂

An update on my gear selection issue. I finally got back to it again today. I took the Selespeed unit off, placed the gearbox into neutral and aligned the Selespeed unit so that when I carefully placed it back on the gearbox it was still in neutral. I torqued it all down and rechecked it was still in neutral (drive wheel free to turn). I then reconnected all the electrical Cole torso and the battery then turned on the ignition. It was indicating neutral on the dash so fired up the engine and selected auto and it found first and drove fine. Reverse also no issue so looks like ’s fixed without having to go through a full recalibration. The only downside is that the radio no longer works so looks like I’ll be checking some fuses.
Mighty relieved, and a big saving rebuilding the Selespeed unit with new seals and fluid over purchasing a new unit. Better for the planet too.

Back