Technical Newbie! Couple of issues......

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie! Couple of issues......

audicab26

Hi all,

Newbie advice sought please.

I bought a Panda 1.3 multi jet yesterday, an 05 model Dynamic, my first Fiat since owning a Strada back in the 80's (I'd love to say I have fond memories of that car but.....)

Anyway, very pleased with the car, I did not pay a lot for it, and it goes well enough.

It needs a service, it's a bit lumpy when cold but ok when warm, it had stood idle for 3 months, only being moved occasionally, so I think it may need some injector cleaner? Sometimes the glow plug light flashes for a minute after start up and sometimes it doesn't? Don't think these are huge issues.

Sometimes the drivers electric window works sometimes it doesn't - think its the switch, have sprayed it with electric contact cleaner.

What was a little disconcerting however was on first start up today the steering wheel warning light stayed on and there was no assistance. I switched the car off then on again and it worked ok. It has been fine since and was ok all of yesterday?

Does anyone have any theories on this? Be nice to go to the garage armed with some inside knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Check the output voltage at the battery, could be a duff battery (very likely considering the age of the car) but the electric power steering motors are a common problem with the early Pandas. Is quite an expensive repair too with refurb units costing about £300 and new units about £700!

Hi all,

Newbie advice sought please.

I bought a Panda 1.3 multi jet yesterday, an 05 model Dynamic, my first Fiat since owning a Strada back in the 80's (I'd love to say I have fond memories of that car but.....)

Anyway, very pleased with the car, I did not pay a lot for it, and it goes well enough.

It needs a service, it's a bit lumpy when cold but ok when warm, it had stood idle for 3 months, only being moved occasionally, so I think it may need some injector cleaner? Sometimes the glow plug light flashes for a minute after start up and sometimes it doesn't? Don't think these are huge issues.

Sometimes the drivers electric window works sometimes it doesn't - think its the switch, have sprayed it with electric contact cleaner.

What was a little disconcerting however was on first start up today the steering wheel warning light stayed on and there was no assistance. I switched the car off then on again and it worked ok. It has been fine since and was ok all of yesterday?

Does anyone have any theories on this? Be nice to go to the garage armed with some inside knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

best thing to do is check battery voltage or just fit a new battery £40. the steering ecu as with all the others on the car dont like batteries that are on way out
light probably went out when you restarted it as had a bit of a charge put in while engine was running

Thanks all. Will check the battery and its connections tomorrow. Think the battery is only a year or so old - but the car has stood idle for a while.

Can the battery be charged in situ without upsetting the cars electrics?

Been using the car today, all seems good. Going to order a new earth strap as the one fitted looks past it's best. Hopefully that and 'use' will sort it.

One question, should I be able to open the tailgate by squeezing the handle? It only opens via the Key currently.

Thanks for all your help so far.

One question, should I be able to open the tailgate by squeezing the handle? It only opens via the Key currently.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Yes you should be able to. They do ocassionally fail though, some manage to sort by stripping the handle unit, and cleaning it / replacing the micro switch. Others just replace the whole handle.

Back