Technical Starting Issues!

Currently reading:
Technical Starting Issues!

markpanda04

Hey! First post… I have been gifted an 04 Panda 1.1 Active. Unfortunately it’s not very Active right now. Admittedly it has been sat since 2016… but I’ve put a new battery in, fresh fuel however she just won’t start. When you turn the key, she lights up, the fuel indicator moves to the bottom of the red, then when you turn it over she try’s her best but the fuel indicator drops to nothing. Now, I’ve put around £20 in so I know it’s there somewhere… I’m thinking fuel pump or sensor.. but before I rush out and get one, any ideas?

Hi 🙂. Relatively simple cars

Basics..
Do you have 2 keys?

Turn on ignition.. Dash will do a selftest

Then after most lights have gone off. Immobiliser.. Yellow symbol will go out

You will probably still hear a whirring.. Fuel pump under rear seat(runs for @10 seconds)

Are you all good with this? 🙂

Next favourite.. Poor power circuit to starter.. 🤔

Naff battery.. Rotting earth cable.. Bad starter... In that order 😉

The Blue 04 Active in the GUIDES was mine..

Fair degree of experience.. Had it 14 years 😊

Yep, tried both keys and saw the difference, one the immob went out the other it didn’t. Same issue both. Sprayed a bit of fast start into the air intake and we had momentary life so I think everything else is ticking. Have to say I’m not hearing the pump whir up. Going to take the back seat out and give her another go and have a listen. At least if I do have to replace it then they are out of the way…

Post a video of the dash warning lights under the rev counter, turn the ignition on

Wait a few seconds till the immobiliser stops flashing then turn the engine over

I’m thinking fuel pump or sensor.. but before I rush out and get one, any ideas?
Stop, don't just buy thing until its fixed, it can get expensive if you guess wrong a few time

Open the fuel cap

Have someone listen, I balanced my phone in the video below

Every time you turn the ignition it should buzz for about 2 second

As per here

Post 2

No noise

Post 6 might get it going

Tap the tank while soneone turns the key on and off

No need to jack the car is a bit of a stretch but reachable as long as the car not lowered

Last edited:
Hey! First post… I have been gifted an 04 Panda 1.1 Active. Unfortunately it’s not very Active right now. Admittedly it has been sat since 2016… but I’ve put a new battery in, fresh fuel however she just won’t start. When you turn the key, she lights up, the fuel indicator moves to the bottom of the red,
Normal
then when you turn it over she try’s her best but the fuel indicator drops to nothing.
Normal

The fuel gauge goes back up about a second after the engine has fires up.
Now, I’ve put around £20 in so I know it’s there somewhere… I’m thinking fuel pump or sensor.. but before I rush out and get one, any ideas?

Last edited:
If all else around is quiet, you should hear the pump whirr for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on. Then it stops, and whirrs again during cranking, and should continue once started, although you'll probably not hear it then.
The fuel pump has been idle for 7 years, it may be reluctant to wake up. Removing it from the tank, and lightly thumping it might bring it to life. Once it runs, it should be fine thereafter.

Having said that, I think mine is near the end of its life. It is sometimes reluctant to start, but if I turn on to run the pump, then off and on again to run the pump again, it'll start easily. I think mine is struggling to create the correct pressure, although it could just be a leaky pressure valve on the fuel rail, so need to do a bit of diagnosis.

If you need a pump, try these guys: https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-parts/ecu/fuel-supply/fuel-pump

Last edited:
Back