Technical key issues

Currently reading:
Technical key issues

dagdromer

When I bought the Panda I did not check if all the keys where working (again...) While inspecting the car, I was given the key with the fob, the fob worked fine, I was able to open en close all the locks with the key and obvious it started with that key. I asked if there was a second key available, which was but according to the seller he did not know if it worked....

When I tried it at home, the second key did not work. It is a proper Fiat key and it has very little wear on it and it fits all locks.

On the working key (with the fob), the actual key part did not really open nice like it was assembled incorrect. So I took it apart to find a PCB with all components on it and a separate transponder.

I took the PCB out and left the transponder in and was still able to start the car. I tried the pcb without the transponder and was able to open and close the car using the buttons but could not start the car.

MES told me that there is only one key active, one key disabled and that there is 1 remote active.

I've never seen that you can add a remote to a car but not use the transponder to start it. I think the BSI needs to come out so I can hex dump the eeprom to find out what is really happening.

Yes the transponder and pcb for remote locking can be separate components.
Often with Fiat the second key is transponder only with no remote function.

I've never seen that, and the transponder was really bodged into the housing.

Transponder a glass capsule? Or a chip?

Separate transponders was how it used to be most of the time....vw seat Audi used to use glass capsule transponders. The glass capsule was impervious to water - great

this is the black chip as you will find indeed in the Opel and VW cars. it is somewhat plastic soldered into the casing. There is no room for an additional transponder in the casing itself. This is the variant where the battery cover is at the bottom, not behind the actual key

There's no separate transponder in a key fob, it's soldered into the pcb

It's been dodged to get a working key by adding a separate transponder

You can not easily alter a black listed key, the body computer has to come out and the the stored list manipulated manually

Back