Technical New Guy with Cold Start Problems

Currently reading:
Technical New Guy with Cold Start Problems

TBH my car did this the first three winters of its life, it doesn't seem to have done it at all this winter, but when it's been cold the Panda has been getting driven.

Miune hasn't coughed since fitting the iridiums (the sharper electrodes give a more reliable spark) - just a shame NGK don't make a projected tip version, as I think there might be another 1 mpg or so to be had if they did. You can get a pukka NGK Ir replacement for your Panda - recommended if you ever notice it misfire under stress.

Last edited:
Went into my local fiat and the salesman said something about coils not working properly... anyone know what he might mean?

Never believe a salesman........ :eek:

Not seen anyone on here suffer with coil pack failure on the Fire evo2 engine (1.2 or 1.4 in the 500 or GP section) ((never say never though))

The coil pack sits under the air box which is got to something like this (the 500 air intake needs a 4mm Alan key to remove the inlet pipe but its the same engine)

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/234763-spark-plug-change-1-2-8v.html

The coil pack is the black box with the cream front with the voltage flash symbol on it

attachment.php

Last edited:
Let's be honest: the average car salesman probably thinks a coil pack is what his girlfriend buys when she wants to get her contraception in bulk.

I found it rather funny to quiz the salesman and his manager when i asked them simple questions about the Evo when i bought it they couldn't answer it...

Simple things like whats the BHP of this........ They are "selling" the things it would be good if they knew a bit about what they were selling rather than "its a lovely cover" or "the seats are nice". Or the other one this superguard stuff will keep your car looking like new.........

Last edited:
Or the other one this superguard stuff will keep your car looking like new.........

On a new car I was looking to buy, one salesman said I'd need to pay extra for Supaguard as it had already been applied to the car...

...which was sitting outside in the lot still covered in the protective film from the factory :bang:.

The salesman then said they must have put the film back on after they'd treated it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Pushed further, he admitted it hadn't been put on yet, but I'd still have to pay as it had already been booked against the car on the internal accounting system :mad:(n).

I went elsewhere for the car.

Last edited:
My lovely 500 has been booked in after a consultation with the fiat mechanic today. Keeping it overnight + starting it in the cold.

Also got given a free courtesy car and they will not be receiving their Punto back until they've fixed my issues ;) muhahahaha

My lovely 500 has been booked in after a consultation with the fiat mechanic today. Keeping it overnight + starting it in the cold.

Also got given a free courtesy car and they will not be receiving their Punto back until they've fixed my issues ;) muhahahaha

Good to hear, defo the way forward leaving it overnight.

Fingers crossed they manage to work out what the issue is. If they don't, I'd also recommend quizzing them about exactly what time of the day they tested it. It is quite a predictable issue as you will know of course based on what we have said on here!

well i've printed off a massive page of quotes from various threads where people has expressed concerns about poor starting in the cold and attached this to a written statement of exactly what is up with my car - needless to say that they can't turn around and be like 'there is no start up issue with 500s'!

Besides, am I in my right to say that I'm keeping the courtesy car until they have at least done something to mine? haha

Don't be difficult. A fault like this is always difficult to find and if they can't replicate the fault then it's not fair of you to keep their courtesy car.

Of I were a dealer and someone kept my car like that I'd just loan the customers car out as a loaner car.

Back