Technical New engines!

Currently reading:
Technical New engines!

Aahhhhggg! Luigi will be furious!
He will demand a 100bhp remap for sure now ; )

Damn! I was nearly convinced to go for a Abarth as my next car but now they come out with a TA 105 bhp... What the hell!!!

Great! Probably now more people will know about it!

If I'd already covered as many miles are you (and baring in mind it's probably another year before cars start being delivered), I'd consider a trade in :D I think the 105 TA would make basis for the perfect 500 (Abarth ruins the purity of shape IMO).

If I'd already covered as many miles are you (and baring in mind it's probably another year before cars start being delivered), I'd consider a trade in :D I think the 105 TA would make basis for the perfect 500 (Abarth ruins the purity of shape IMO).

You'll get me shot! (The Mrs) lol.
I'm up to 25k miles and intended keeping the little fella for the long haul.
I'm doing about 20-25k per year so the miles will stack up. I wonder how the little TA will hold up. I change oil every 6-9k to keep things sweet and I firmly believe this will alleviate a lot of engine wear that would occur if I went to 18k between changes. The benefits may not show until 70k+ miles though.
Totally agree about Abarth shape too. For me the new S bumpers are a bit of a departure too.
Would be great to see a 'heritage' Abarth based on the 105bhp TA : )

You'll get me shot! (The Mrs) lol.
I'm up to 25k miles and intended keeping the little fella for the long haul.
I'm doing about 20-25k per year so the miles will stack up. I wonder how the little TA will hold up. I change oil every 6-9k to keep things sweet and I firmly believe this will alleviate a lot of engine wear that would occur if I went to 18k between changes. The benefits may not show until 70k+ miles though.
Totally agree about Abarth shape too. For me the new S bumpers are a bit of a departure too.
Would be great to see a 'heritage' Abarth based on the 105bhp TA : )

Doubt you'll see a heritage Abarth based on the 105 TA. Abarth seem intent on releasing very expensive special editions. You've probably seen that they have just announced yet another special edition of the 595 to be shown at Frankfurt. A reasonably specced Abarth now costs between 18-20k. Way too much for what it is. The base model had various bits removed from it last year which have now become "option bits". I'd like to see more colour and wheel options ( less of the fragile diamond cut wheels ) available for the base 500 Abarth to allow a bit more customisation without being forced into buying a Turismo or Competizione just to get a certain colour.
An Abarth packaged into the standard 500 shape would be cool, but I'm sure it won't happen.

Not much difference in the 0-60. Hope it has plenty more torque, although much more and it'll be way to easy to spin.

I agree about the Abarth and the S. To me the S just doesn't look as desirable as the Lounge does. Maybe if they left some of the chrome on the front it would. From a distance it looks like a facelift Pop.

Not much difference in the 0-60. Hope it has plenty more torque, although much more and it'll be way to easy to spin.

I agree about the Abarth and the S. To me the S just doesn't look as desirable as the Lounge does. Maybe if they left some of the chrome on the front it would. From a distance it looks like a facelift Pop.

It's the law of diminishing returns ; )
20 more power = 10%ish reduction in 0-60. I bet bit will feel really punch in the 3-5000rpm range tho.
My Twinair model looks like a pop from the front too.. Not from the side tho ; )
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1378208513.076354.jpg

Will the 105bhp TA replace the existing 85bhp one or be an addition to the range?

Good question!
Maybe Fiat will try to charge a premium for the 105 version?
I wonder how much power could be had from the 105 TA with a remap or if they turned up the wick pretty high already to get 105bhp?

make sure you uprate the brakes Twins I felt this was the weakest point of the TA 85 when I drove it in comparison to the 1.4 (I think we should start calling it that now that the 105 will come out haha) . Bgunn did you fit ventilated discs yet?

Last edited:
hahahah 4.2 l/100 km combined on the 105 ta? GOOD LUCK WITH THAT = )
If I got anything near 7.0l/100 km with that car I would be very happy as I get 8.0l/100 km minimum on my 1.4 NA!

make sure you uprate the brakes Twins I felt this was the weakest point of the TA 85 when I drove it in comparison to the 1.4 (I think we should start calling it that now that the 105 will come out haha) . Bgunn did you fit ventilated discs yet?

Honestly Ahmett, I've never had an issue with the brakes even when really pushing it on twisty roads where the brakes are used hard and repeatedly.
I also don't want to add weight/rotating mass. I think a set of 'performance oafs will do the job. Lets face it, even with 100bhp my TA won't really be that quick and it is a light car. 80-100kg lighter than the Abarth! (Which I found when I changed the suspension remember : / )

Last edited:
Honestly Ahmett, I've never had an issue with the brakes even when really pushing it on twisty roads where the brakes are used hard and repeatedly.
I also don't want to add weight/rotating mass. I think a set of 'performance oafs will do the job. Lets face it, even with 100bhp my TA won't really be that quick and it is a light car. 80-100kg lighter than the Abarth! (Which I found when I changed the suspension remember : / )

I immediately noticed a differencw in braking performance between ta and 1.4. For me the brakes are the most important part of a car!

Back