Technical New ECU

Currently reading:
Technical New ECU

My guess would be that the replacement ECU would need to be virginised AND the correct ECU for your year/model of car. I'd have thought that you'd have a reasonable chance if you bought a virginised refurbished ECU (there's plenty advertised as such), but that if you put in one just as it's been taken off a scrapped vehicle, it likely will need more programming tools than MES to get it to work in a different car.

@typecastboy will likely be able to answer this question better than I can.

Last edited:
As JR says, if you get a virginised ECU then I believe it may self-learn. I did that with an engine ECU but a garage did it so I'm not sure what they did. The only other thing you can do is buy a BCM and Engine ECU from an identical spec car along with a key set. You could actually just swap the blades from the keys along with the transmitter/immobiliser board. No need to actually change the ignition barrel or any of the locks. That would work and will just require a proxy alignment and will align with all the other ECUs, but you can't just replace one, you have to replace them both if you're going down that route. It's something, thankfully, I've not needed to do so far.

Last edited:
Let's just take a step back - how have you determined that replacing the ECU will solve the problem you currently have?

You mean the flashing Odometer, Start/Stop & Blue & Me not working. Not yet, I've changed the earth strap, and replaced the battery, checked connection to starter & alternator (both of which were very clean).
Engine turns over positively now instead of being sluggish. Start/Stop worked once after changing the battery, hasn't worked since, although I've satisfied all conditions (engine warm, & all electrical demands off).
Can't find anything that actually works for flashing Odometer, but need more time, to try various permutations.

The reason I ask about ECU stuff, is that as a programmer and formally trained electronics engineer, I'm naturally interested in all things with MCUs in. I've written various programs, and edited many various types of digital files, (mainly for PIC processors) and the only bit I see as dificult, is obtaining a piece of soft/hardware to read /load the various files on an ECU. This interest is separate (but not, if you know what I mean) from getting my 500 sorted.

You mean the flashing Odometer, Start/Stop & Blue & Me not working. Not yet, I've changed the earth strap, and replaced the battery, checked connection to starter & alternator (both of which were very clean).
Engine turns over positively now instead of being sluggish. Start/Stop worked once after changing the battery, hasn't worked since, although I've satisfied all conditions (engine warm, & all electrical demands off).
Can't find anything that actually works for flashing Odometer, but need more time, to try various permutations.

The reason I ask about ECU stuff, is that as a programmer and formally trained electronics engineer, I'm naturally interested in all things with MCUs in. I've written various programs, and edited many various types of digital files, (mainly for PIC processors) and the only bit I see as dificult, is obtaining a piece of soft/hardware to read /load the various files on an ECU. This interest is separate (but not, if you know what I mean) from getting my 500 sorted.
To start with, Fiat Start/Stop is crap and barely ever works. Most people switch it off. Your odometer flashing and your blue and me not working is most likely down to the blue and me faulty. I am now repairing these. Just starting to do it and have my first paying customer. I think you are completely overthinking this, if this is all about start/stop and a flashing speedo.

When I borrow a friends Launch or a Snap On Zeus and connect to EOBD on 2010 vehicles like my 2010 Fiat Doble 1.6 Maxi and others, it does a scan then brings up the vehicles Vin.Number before it does any diagnostics, I don't know what age that starts to apply but if so it would negate fitting S/H or virginised ECUs etc.

Blue & Me not working
Have you physically unplugged the connector on the blue&me module?

Until you've done this, you'll have a permanent battery drain if the module isn't working correctly.

Once the Blue&Me module is disconnected, a proxi alignment with MES will fix the flashing speedo, and S/S may even start working.

I am now repairing these. Just starting to do it and have my first paying customer.
Thats interesting...
... no it's not all about that, I'm just playing with it, because I can. :)
Have you physically unplugged the connector on the blue&me module?.....

Ok, I'll have a look at that in the morning.... (y)

To start with, Fiat Start/Stop is crap and barely ever works. Most people switch it off. Your odometer flashing and your blue and me not working is most likely down to the blue and me faulty. I am now repairing these. Just starting to do it and have my first paying customer. I think you are completely overthinking this, if this is all about start/stop and a flashing speedo.
Is there a way to switch start/stop off once and for all instead of every time I switch the ignition on? 2011 Twinair Lounge.

Have you got Multiecuscan, interface and leads?
The flashing odometer should be fixable by doing a proxi alignment and possibly un-plugging the blue and me module if it is faulty.
My experience with Fiat ECU and body computers is that they use an ECU with internal EEPROM that has embedded security. Not a simple task of swapping a external EEPROM.

Have you got Multiecuscan, interface and leads?
The flashing odometer should be fixable by doing a proxi alignment and possibly un-plugging the blue and me module if it is faulty.
My experience with Fiat ECU and body computers is that they use an ECU with internal EEPROM that has embedded security. Not a simple task of swapping a external EEPROM.

Well I didn't when you posted, because I have a Delphi 105e tool, and was reluctant to get another. But bit the bullet, and got one with all the leads.
So....today, we have NO flashing odometer. 🥁🍻☑️

I did notice something else using the MECS, it mentions having a five digit vehicle security code!! What if I haven't got it? Can I get it?

Oh ok! ive been using MES since i got mine a year ago and havent found anything that requires a code as yet! maybe someone more knowledgeable will steer you right! be interested to know what procedures you are trying to do that require it!!

be interested to know what procedures you are trying to do that require it
Key coding.

For cars sold in the UK, the code was never issued to the customer, supposedly for security.

You can get the code from a franchised dealer upon satisfactory proof of ownership, usually for a fee.

When the words 'fee' and 'franchised dealer' are used in the same sentence, regular readers will have some idea of the size of that fee.

Back