Technical Need Help: Car will not start, relay box clicking in MAR, key code light ON

Currently reading:
Technical Need Help: Car will not start, relay box clicking in MAR, key code light ON

CyranoYoshi

Hi there, Cy here and here's a little history on my problem...

Drove a short 10 minute journey to pick up my partner for lunch, was low on fuel so made the decision to top it up after we'd eaten, parked at home for 1 hour and went back to the car to drive her back, turned over but wouldn't start.

First though, out of petrol, embarrassing but possible, so I walked to my nearet garage and bought 5L and a Jerry can, filled it up, turns over but wouldn't start.

Thats when I noticed the clicking sound coming from somewhere in the car, turns out to be coming from the relay box under the bonnet (beleive its the lowest right RED one T9 maybe as it stops if removed), key CODE light is ON permanently and i DO NOT HAVE THE CODE as its second hand.. well 4th I think.

Doesn't matter anyway because even the emergency startup sequence (press accel until engine light flashes) doesnt work, no flashing.

We have removed the battery, tested and charged, don't believe its the issue as all electrics work fine. also hunted for the elusive 'fuel cut off switch' (seriously the image in the manual is USELESS) and think we found it under a panel behind the pedals, although I didn't see it myself a friend did, apparently is IS DEPRESSED).

So to recap, when key turned to MAR, Relay clicks (research points me to fuel pump relay), battery light, temp light and yellow KEY CODE light remain ON. When turned, engine turns over but doesnt start.

MY THEORIES: Battery Fault, Immobilizer Fault, Key Code Reading Fault, Fuel Pump Fault.

1.2 2000 Punto Mk2 W reg, can take pictures/film vids of symptoms but I kinda NEED this car to run as i've only been driving a month and am without a paddle without it atm.

Please provide images or detailed descriptions of any help you can offer, keep it simple.

The fuel pump should run for a few seconds when you turn the key before starting the engine. Humming/Whirring easily heard from the drivers seat but under back seat if unsure

If the relay is clicking randomly you could have an earth fault which means the negative side of the battery is not being transmitted around the car correctly - easy to fix.

When a relay clicks you can identify which one is clicking with a piece of wood to your ear on the relay or just by putting your finger on the relays one by one.

Key code light can come if there is an earth fault.

Several faults not apparently connected suggests an earth fault. But how many faults do you actually have?? Is the relay just going on and off irratically?? Does the fuel pump run?

Last edited:
Hi there, Cy here and here's a little history on my problem...

Drove a short 10 minute journey to pick up my partner for lunch, was low on fuel so made the decision to top it up after we'd eaten, parked at home for 1 hour and went back to the car to drive her back, turned over but wouldn't start.

First though, out of petrol, embarrassing but possible, so I walked to my nearet garage and bought 5L and a Jerry can, filled it up, turns over but wouldn't start.

Thats when I noticed the clicking sound coming from somewhere in the car, turns out to be coming from the relay box under the bonnet (beleive its the lowest right RED one T9 maybe as it stops if removed), key CODE light is ON permanently and i DO NOT HAVE THE CODE as its second hand.. well 4th I think.

Doesn't matter anyway because even the emergency startup sequence (press accel until engine light flashes) doesnt work, no flashing.

We have removed the battery, tested and charged, don't believe its the issue as all electrics work fine. also hunted for the elusive 'fuel cut off switch' (seriously the image in the manual is USELESS) and think we found it under a panel behind the pedals, although I didn't see it myself a friend did, apparently is IS DEPRESSED).

So to recap, when key turned to MAR, Relay clicks (research points me to fuel pump relay), battery light, temp light and yellow KEY CODE light remain ON. When turned, engine turns over but doesnt start.

MY THEORIES: Battery Fault, Immobilizer Fault, Key Code Reading Fault, Fuel Pump Fault.

1.2 2000 Punto Mk2 W reg, can take pictures/film vids of symptoms but I kinda NEED this car to run as i've only been driving a month and am without a paddle without it atm.

Please provide images or detailed descriptions of any help you can offer, keep it simple.

Hi, :)
fault - sounds a bit random..,

clicking is normally a FLAT battery . but if it's cranking / turning over then that's not the issue:eek:

the keycode - definitely BAD.., have you got a 2nd key..??

as suggested, listen for a few seconds of the tanks fuel pump ( under rear seat)

Charlie - Oxford

I have two blue keys neither work both behave the same way, I'll try listening for fuel pump, as for the earth fault I wouldn't even know where to start fixing that

Ok so just went out to check for noises under the rear seats and I can confirm there are some and yes it sounds like something rapidly pumping away, I can even FEEL movement of some sort when I pull up the rear seats so SOMETHING is happening back there.

However it DOES NOT STOP after a few seconds like mentioned it should, I let it run for about a minute and it still didn't stop. So where do we go now?

Appreciate all the help so far guys

Ok so just went out to check for noises under the rear seats and I can confirm there are some and yes it sounds like something rapidly pumping away, I can even FEEL movement of some sort when I pull up the rear seats so SOMETHING is happening back there.

However it DOES NOT STOP after a few seconds like mentioned it should, I let it run for about a minute and it still didn't stop. So where do we go now?

Appreciate all the help so far guys

What voltage have you got at the battery with the ignition off, and then ignition on? What voltage have you got at the coils with the ignition on?

How have you worked out you have no electrical problems?

I'm afraid I don't have the equipment to test things like that, all other electrics work fine though as far as I can tell

Also if anyone can show me where this earth cable should be found I can try having a look at that, someone suggested under the battery but an image or a diagram would help greatly

take the air filter off
find the throttle body (it looks like a carburetor)
make sure the earth to the throttle body is doing its job properly
change if unsure

After a few hours of tinkering and tightening this morning, we have ruled out a lot of problems.

First of all, batterys all good and all the earth points seem fine, cleaned for good measure.

Secondly, after some tinkering under the steering column I was able to get the CODE light to go out, BUT it comes back on again once you try to start the engine.

Relay still clicks, so best bet we have is that when the fuel ran low, it dragged up some gunk and its blocked somewhere, hence no fuel making it to the engine, no firing.

I'll have to pay a garage to come collect it and start from the fuel line backwards I suppose

Understood but the car turns over, if the immobiliser is on surely it wouldn't do that? And like I said it did turn off a few times just wouldn't fire the engine up

Understood but the car turns over, if the immobiliser is on surely it wouldn't do that? And like I said it did turn off a few times just wouldn't fire the engine up

With the key code light on the starter still operates, but the car should never start.

If the light is going out sometimes, in my estimation, it is still pointing to low voltages from bad connections or a faulty battery.

Hopefully tomorrow morning after the battery has had a little life charged back into it I'll get some different results, the clicking and the fuel pump issues still baffle me, it's clearly TRYING to pump it just doesn't seem to reach the engine

Hopefully tomorrow morning after the battery has had a little life charged back into it I'll get some different results, the clicking and the fuel pump issues still baffle me, it's clearly TRYING to pump it just doesn't seem to reach the engine

You still have not made it clear what you mean by this clicking. If you insert the key and turn to mar the relay clicks on and then a few seconds later it clicks off. From Mar, every time you try to start the engine the relay clicks to turn on the pump and the other parts of the starting system. When you stop trying to start, the relay clicks and turns off the pump.

Sorry I thought I was clear, the T9 relay constantly clicks when the key is turned to MAR, when trying to start the car I can't hear if it clicks or not as the engine is tryIng to fire, but our assumpton is no fuel is reaching the engine

If it's constantly clicking in mar then something isn't right can you not swap a relay with another similar one in the ? just. To rule out relay. Have you removed the relay and cleaned up the connections?

Last edited:
Back