Technical punto will not stsart after clutch replacement

Currently reading:
Technical punto will not stsart after clutch replacement

Assumption was: the starter doesn't work/turn. But it is OK (?).
1. Another option: one of the wires is improperly connected to the alternator D+ line, instead of the starter.
2. There's no problem in the alternator/starter area whatsoever. It's a ground or relay somewhere else (main fusebox?).

I've re-read the whole thread and missed the important bit. The engine's turning over properly. It wouldn't do that if you'd wired it incorrectly.

The white wire looks the right length for that earth point, no high volume car maker wastes inches of wire. Nothing else needs bolting on at that point, so it's an earth point. To my eyes the terminal on that white wire looks like an earth lug - the bent over bit would be a bit risky on a positive terminal on the starter and the hole's too big for the signal wire.

So why won't it start? You were working around the gearbox end, and from memory the battery tray has to come out, so was there an earth strap there that needs looking at - doesn't the -ve bat connection split into two or three - and if so are the other wires still connected? Any damage to the engine fusebox? Relays and fuses not damaged? Does everything else electrical work as it should?

looking from the top I have a wire in a ribbed cable protector that is going to what i think is a bolt under the starter motor. This cable joins the wiring harness at the same point the two wires in ribbed cable protectors branch to the alternator and A/C compressor clutch.
hi, do you mean that it comes from the same point as wire D in my photo ?... the thick white wire.
thanks for your help.

looking from the top I have a wire in a ribbed cable protector that is going to what i think is a bolt under the starter motor. This cable joins the wiring harness at the same point the two wires in ribbed cable protectors branch to the alternator and A/C compressor clutch.

Attachments

• punto starter wiring.jpeg
    punto starter wiring.jpeg
    881.3 KB · Views: 16
I've re-read the whole thread and missed the important bit. The engine's turning over properly. It wouldn't do that if you'd wired it incorrectly.

The white wire looks the right length for that earth point, no high volume car maker wastes inches of wire. Nothing else needs bolting on at that point, so it's an earth point. To my eyes the terminal on that white wire looks like an earth lug - the bent over bit would be a bit risky on a positive terminal on the starter and the hole's too big for the signal wire.

So why won't it start? You were working around the gearbox end, and from memory the battery tray has to come out, so was there an earth strap there that needs looking at - doesn't the -ve bat connection split into two or three - and if so are the other wires still connected? Any damage to the engine fusebox? Relays and fuses not damaged? Does everything else electrical work as it should?

HOORAY !... I have just wired the starter the same as I had previously done... and it all started fine... I can only think it was a dodgy connection somewhere.

the short wire was the command wire and the white cable is earthed on block.

I just need to get some GL 4 or GFL5 in the transmission... I still not sure which it is supposed to be ???.

I must thank youi all for your help... I really do appreciate all of your input. I hope you do not think I have wasted your time.

THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU.

I am so pleased... but I am just hoping it was not a dodgy wire or connection that might still go wrong... At least I know the wiring is correct.

thank again Paul.

I just need to get some GL 4 or GFL5 in the transmission... I still not sure which it is supposed to be ???.

The recommend by FIAT is the Tutela Transmission Technyx 75W-85. At least for the MK2a. I don't know about MK2b.
Specification:
  • API GL 4 PLUS
  • SAE 75W-85
  • FIAT 9.55550-MX3 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REF. N°F010.B05

I think it is possible in a 16V car that this earth wire that is under the starter motor is the same wire that is used for the ECU ground that is connected to a bolt holding the 16V ECU. The usual practice on the Punto seems to be be that all wires are single continuous lengths of wire without connections. So a black wire on the ECU will be the same black wire under the starter motor. As far as I can see there are no earth wires entering the wiring loom from the fuse box - the fuse box only provides positive wires.

HOORAY !... I have just wired the starter the same as I had previously done... and it all started fine... I can only think it was a dodgy connection somewhere.

thank again Paul.
Good news 👍

Annoyingly you were correct all along..
🤔
Changing the main Battery to Chassis and Gearbox cable is probably worthwhile

Oil..
Look on Opie oils see which grades come up on your Build data,

Or indeed Shop4parts,
as they both quote proper specs..
(unlike Europarts)

The recommend by FIAT is the Tutela Transmission Technyx 75W-85. At least for the MK2a. I don't know about MK2b.
Specification:
  • API GL 4 PLUS
  • SAE 75W-85
  • FIAT 9.55550-MX3 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REF. N°F010.B05
Hi crankshaft,
I have read the threads on the transmission oil... but I could not find any GL4+ locally yesterday... so I just put the GL5 in.
I am not happy with what I had to do , but I was stuck. It is not good that there is so much confusion over this GL4/GL5 issue.
Not sure how much difference this will make ??... It does state GL5 in the handbook and the Haynes manual.
Thanks... not really sure what to do now ???.

Back