Technical Handbrake light remains on

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake light remains on

Handbrake light stays on even when handbrake is released. Does anyone know how to remove it?

Brakes only just been changed so I know it can’t be that

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Handbrake light stays on even when handbrake is released. Does anyone know how to remove it?

Brakes only just been changed so I know it can’t be that

Any suggestions?

Cheers
it is not really a handbrake light. it is just a warning light for the brakes. You can begin troubleshooting the light by testing the handbrake switch and the brake fluid level switch.

it is not really a handbrake light. it is just a warning light for the brakes. You can begin troubleshooting the light by testing the handbrake switch and the brake fluid level switch.
The handbrake works fine. So does my brakes as I have just recently changed them. My brake fluid reservoir is empty tho I have just noticed. I went to put brake fluid in the reservoir but upon putting a little bit in it was spitting it back out so to speak?

So not sure if I have to fill it another way
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Thanks it does seem my brake fluid reservoir is empty 😵 tried to fill it but upon pouring a little bit in it just spat it back out
There may be a rubber diaphragm inside the cap, which keeps the dirt and moisture out. You may have to pick this out, then fill the reservoir, amd replace the diaphragm. There should be a max mark, don't overfill, or you'll spill it as you refit the diaphragm and cap. Wash away all spillages promtly with water. But don't get the water into the reservoir.

Then you need to find out why it was empty. Where did it go?

just pour it slowly, if you put 1cc of break fluid 1cc of air needs to come out... nothing special, if something else than this little bubble happens can you describe it better? when does it throw it out? and how? if you put it in, and put a cap over? where exactly and how can you even see the spitting of the break fluid?

just pour it slowly, if you put 1cc of break fluid 1cc of air needs to come out... nothing special, if something else than this little bubble happens can you describe it better? when does it throw it out? and how? if you put it in, and put a cap over? where exactly and how can you even see the spitting of the break fluid?
I’ll try to explain the best I can. So basically there’s a tiny tube before the actual reservoir. At the bottom of the tube there’s some sort of filter which I assume is for keeping dirt out. But when I fill the tube up and wait it doesn’t seem to go down at all? Does it take a while to filter down or is something blocking it?

Thanks in advance

Woou, its clear what you are describing now. But such system is uncommon for fiat to my knowledge. I am adding 2 pictures, taken few min ago on fiat punto mk2, 188A5000. The system you described is usually found on Ford fiesta for example... Which car exactly do you have? Anyway, this aside, you have to somehow get your fluid from the upper smaller Reservoir to go trough the tube down into the smaller,.. it happens that it doesnt go, because appearently you have such small tube that while the fluid is trying to go down the air cant go up. The worst slowest case is to try put few drops and shake it a little until they get into lower main Reservoir. If its going so hard i would expect a bleeder screw on main Reservoir - you unscrew that one, so the inner air could escspe from it, and pour your fluid in the top one and now should go down to main one, and put the bleeding screw back... But i have to say, i never seen this trouble before. Out of curiousity, can you take a picture of your two fluid tanks?

Attachments

• 20240104_225845.jpg
    20240104_225845.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240104_225906.jpg
    20240104_225906.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 23
Woou, its clear what you are describing now. But such system is uncommon for fiat to my knowledge. I am adding 2 pictures, taken few min ago on fiat punto mk2, 188A5000. The system you described is usually found on Ford fiesta for example... Which car exactly do you have? Anyway, this aside, you have to somehow get your fluid from the upper smaller Reservoir to go trough the tube down into the smaller,.. it happens that it doesnt go, because appearently you have such small tube that while the fluid is trying to go down the air cant go up. The worst slowest case is to try put few drops and shake it a little until they get into lower main Reservoir. If its going so hard i would expect a bleeder screw on main Reservoir - you unscrew that one, so the inner air could escspe from it, and pour your fluid in the top one and now should go down to main one, and put the bleeding screw back... But i have to say, i never seen this trouble before. Out of curiousity, can you take a picture of your two fluid tanks?
I would agree a picture from the original poster would be helpful. Having had mk1, mk2, and mk2b Puntos, all the brake masters are essentially the same. If he has the same as in the pictures supplied by mcf1mnfs, then all he has to do is remove the filter before filling - otherwise the fluid will take an eternity to flow through.

Here’s some images guys. So inside the tube you can see the filter but it doesn’t seem to filter through

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Here’s some images guys. So inside the tube you can see the filter but it doesn’t seem to filter through
You can put your finger in and pull the filter out. Then top it up. WITH THE CORRECT FLUID.
On another note, can you see the electrical connector underneath the tank? If so, unplug it and check if the light goes off. If it does go out then you know it’s because the brake fluid is low

All sorted! Didn’t actually know you could remove the filter I just assumed it was part of the tube. 🙄 anyways I removed the filter and topped up the reservoir and the light has now vanished! Thank god for that so thank you all for your help and input!
Now I’ve got a new problem 🤣 whilst sitting there pressing the brake pedal to allow the brake fluid I’d just put in to run through the brake system, I can hear a sound from the rear drivers side tire every time I press the brake. Doesn’t happen when the handbrake is on but when the handbrake is off and I press it it makes the noise without fail. Any ideas guys 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ it’s like a click sound. Thinking it could be the drum but not so sure

All sorted! Didn’t actually know you could remove the filter I just assumed it was part of the tube. 🙄 anyways I removed the filter and topped up the reservoir and the light has now vanished! Thank god for that so thank you all for your help and input!
Now I’ve got a new problem 🤣 whilst sitting there pressing the brake pedal to allow the brake fluid I’d just put in to run through the brake system, I can hear a sound from the rear drivers side tire every time I press the brake. Doesn’t happen when the handbrake is on but when the handbrake is off and I press it it makes the noise without fail. Any ideas guys 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ it’s like a click sound. Thinking it could be the drum but not so sure
You can hear that brake working. The clicking is probably from the adjusting mechanism. This could mean that it is not self-adjusting properly, so there is too much movement. It could mean that there is a problem the other side, because it is not making the same noise.
There is also, still the question about where the fluid went, requiring a top-up.
The rear drums need taking off to see what is going on there. Might need some maintenance. Lining materials can come off with age. Catching this early saves issues. A wheel refusing to rotate can be a problem when not at home. Self-adjusters can seize, and wheel cyclinders can seize or leak, or both.
If you don't have the expertise to sort the rear brakes, get professional help, don't compromise safety. The rear brake shoes are sometimes a real pain to remove or refit, with the springs really fighting. Much easier with the hubs off, but whilst easy, requires new nuts, and a large torque wrench when refitting.

Have you got a Haynes manual? https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/bn_2314060?mag=1&_fsrp=0&rt=nc&Manufacturer=Fiat&Model=Punto

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back