Motorists may face penalty for overtaking cyclists on some city roads

Currently reading:
Motorists may face penalty for overtaking cyclists on some city roads

Depends how it's implemented -- although it sounds unworkable and unpoliceable, from what's written there: but it is very vague.... :eek:

Even as a part-time cyclist, I think I'd prefer proper cycle lanes to this. It just sounds like a half-baked idea to win votes, and be seen to be doing something... -- although I can't imagine that cyclists make up more than a very small fraction of the electorate; nor that very many vote Tory...! :confused:

Some cyclist are royal tossers! They take up the whole road or swerve left to right which is just dangerous! When ever I'm out on my bike wether it be county or main roads I keep tucked into the left and if I hear cars and the path is empty I'll mount the path just to be safe

Nahh...what they need is the Arm of Invulnerability! With this special arm, all a cyclist has to do is wave their arm in the general direction they wish to travel*...and as if by magic, the car sat just a few feet from your starboard quarter will not hit you!**

*for best results, do not engage the Arm of Invulnerability until the last second, preferably after you've started moving across into the path of an on coming car

**the system only works with an attentive car driver who is capable of doing an emergency stop. One who realises that even though he was attempting to overtake you at a safe distance and you were the one who was going to hit me, that I, err, I mean the car driver, would still be to blame!

Some cyclist are royal tossers! They take up the whole road or swerve left to right which is just dangerous! When ever I'm out on my bike wether it be county or main roads I keep tucked into the left and if I hear cars and the path is empty I'll mount the path just to be safe

That is a dangerous position to be in....... You have no where to go and it tempts vehicles to overtake where there is not enough room.....

The old keep left advice is no longer taught in cycle proficiency lessons

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/in...izn20130830-Effective-traffic-riding-part-1-0

That is a dangerous position to be in....... You have no where to go and it tempts vehicles to overtake where there is not enough room.....

The old keep left advice is no longer taught in cycle proficiency lessons

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/in...izn20130830-Effective-traffic-riding-part-1-0

I had some guy the other day sat in the middle of the road (secondary position as i have just learnt) in a 50...he was traveling 20-23mph and had the audacity to give me an evil look when he eventually moved back over...

You know It's illegal to ride a bike on the pavement ?

*for best results, do not engage the Arm of Invulnerability until the last second, preferably after you've started moving across into the path of an on coming car

The problem is with this is that cyclist don't have rear view mirrors, so they cannot just stick their arm out becouse who knows whats behind them, it could be nothing or it could be a 40 Tonne lorry doing 50 that could break or even take off their arm.

As a cyclist myself theres nothing worse than getting a car overtaking you within a foot of you, but its just one of those things, its always going to happen, IMO this law would never ever work.

Education is better than punishment.

The problem is with this is that cyclist don't have rear view mirrors, so they cannot just stick their arm out becouse who knows whats behind them, it could be nothing or it could be a 40 Tonne lorry doing 50 that could break or even take off their arm.

As a cyclist myself theres nothing worse than getting a car overtaking you within a foot of you, but its just one of those things, its always going to happen, IMO this law would never ever work.

I couldnt give a toss if its illegal to ride on the pavement, its a whole damn safer then having some biking hating **** trying to run you down!

I bike pretty much everywhere thats not in driving distance and have been doing so for a good 5-7 years and not once have i hit a pedestrian or been stopped by the police

As for mirrors im constantly checking behind me....you never know when a prius might be behind...sneaky ****ers

When I used to ride to/from school (and later college), my first action was to look over my shoulder...not just blindly move and hope for the best...I've seen the same cyclist in the same spot do this repeatedly to me and other motorists. I won't go into cyclists jumping red lights...that's another thread...

As a former cyclist, I do take the more courteous approach to overtaking cyclists by leaving them as much room as I safely can.

The joys of a mountain bike with meaty tyres, one simply rides up the curb! But I spend the majority of the time on the path unless I'm in the country side or there are to many people on thepath then I pop onto the road

Back