Technical More clutch woes

Currently reading:
Technical More clutch woes

gr0mit

Hi all . Feb march 22 used this forum and it's members to replace a clutch in my Fiat Fiorino 1.3 multijet diesel van 77000 on clock . So new clutch has done 2000 mostly short trips. Went to Wouldham from Cornwall ,long trip , clutch started slipping so bad could not take off in 1st and 2nd. It would blast along happily in third or fourth. It eventually burnt clutch out and had to be recovered to Cornwall. Van now up and I am working on it. but rain stop play today. So had a look and have a spare release bearing. However I think I initially rejected it cos it looked wrong . Can someone tell me , by looking at photo if it will work new one on left has nib sticking down .one on right old backplate shows (useen ) nib at other end. More info and photos available if needed

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_133930.jpg
    IMG_20220208_133930.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20220208_133945.jpg
    IMG_20220208_133945.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220208_134044.jpg
    IMG_20220208_134044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
Hi all . Feb march 22 used this forum and it's members to replace a clutch in my Fiat Fiorino 1.3 multijet diesel van 77000 on clock . So new clutch has done 2000 mostly short trips. Went to Wouldham from Cornwall ,long trip , clutch started slipping so bad could not take off in 1st and 2nd. It would blast along happily in third or fourth. It eventually burnt clutch out and had to be recovered to Cornwall. Van now up and I am working on it. but rain stop play today. So had a look and have a spare release bearing. However I think I initially rejected it cos it looked wrong . Can someone tell me , by looking at photo if it will work new one on left has nib sticking down .one on right old backplate shows (useen ) nib at other end. More info and photos available if needed
Over the years I have fitted quite a lot of clutches in my working life, no disrespect intended but, if the remains of the clutch release bearing on the right is part of what was a brand new clutch kit 2000miles ago, I would say you have a choice between a very poor quality clutch kit, a problem in fitting the kit, or a driver who rests their foot on the clutch pedal. Sorry:(.
In answer to the question re the bearing, my advise would be to buy a complete kit pressure plate, centre plate and release bearing from a company such as Valeo or LUK and carefully fit that and hopefully it should last for many miles to come.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply bugsymike . I am sorry I seem to have put my question in a misleading manner. That thrust bearing backing plate was the original that broke and forced me to fit a new clutch in the first place. I did in fact put a complete new clutch kit in complete with new release bearing . Have not yet pulled gearbox to find what has failed this time. Was trying to find out if I can fit bearing in photo ,if indeed it is that which has failed. As new one has a nib on opposite side . Will it fit ?
Many thanks gromit

Thanks for your reply bugsymike . I am sorry I seem to have put my question in a misleading manner. That thrust bearing backing plate was the original that broke and forced me to fit a new clutch in the first place. I did in fact put a complete new clutch kit in complete with new release bearing . Have not yet pulled gearbox to find what has failed this time. Was trying to find out if I can fit bearing in photo ,if indeed it is that which has failed. As new one has a nib on opposite side . Will it fit ?
Many thanks gromit
I am sorry, I don't appear to have learnt diplomacy in 70 years :).
I do know that the style and design of different makes of release bearing do vary, generally speaking all I would do is offer it up in place and check it slides up and down the tube of the gearbox front end with no excessive movement or tightness and that when on the release arm it sat happily, engaging with the clutch in the correct position and if the release arm was retracted that the bearing followed it back correctly, so at the end of the day, it is try it and see.
Looking at the old clutch you are taking out, I would want to know the exact cause of that premature failure, whether it was a faulty part that broke causing the clutch not to exert sufficient holding pressure on the friction plate, whether it had got very hot due to driver either trying to pull a heavy load up a steep hill for example or if the driver "rode" the clutch, lots of people sub consciously do this and I have often mentioned it to customers if I traveled with them and advised them to make a point of resting their left foot to one side after using the clutch where ever possible, this is where the release bearing and the fingers of the pressure plate are excessively worn. I have also seen flywheels that have got blue and have deep heat cracks due to repeated slipping of the clutch.
Whatever the cause I would advise always to use a good quality make of complete clutch kit, supplied from a reputable company so in the unlikeliness of a breakage they will honour a replacement.

Thankyou for your reply Varesecrazyrazy. As i myself are 69, I understand the Diplomacy Quote.
I will test it should that be the case ,when i do remove the gearbox . Currently enjoying Cornish Sunshine (Raining ).
Rain going on til Sunday.
Thanks again , AVE a good un, will let it be known what happens when gearbox off

Hi all finally back working on clutch havent got gearbox off yet . However have noticed loose bolt and one bolt missing from gear change cable plate photo below shows lower left bolt loose rear bolt missing . What affect do you think this would have had on clutch . Was it cause of all my woes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230414_165009.jpg
    IMG_20230414_165009.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230414_165004_1~2.jpg
    IMG_20230414_165004_1~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Hi all finally back working on clutch havent got gearbox off yet . However have noticed loose bolt and one bolt missing from gear change cable plate photo below shows lower left bolt loose rear bolt missing . What affect do you think this would have had on clutch . Was it cause of all my woes.
If the other bolts are secure , as that one is threaded on the top plate I am guessing it should have an earth lead attached? So probably unrelated.Even if the other bolt , the lower left one was loose and making that plate move, I think it has the gear selectors on it, so could make gear changing vague, but not likely to affect clutch.

Thanks for reply BugsyMike . I agree that selection should not be affected . (It was not.) Hopefully gearbox off will tell the tale. Big thanks Gromit.

Hi all .
Gearbox off seems nowt wrong with thrust bearing see vid . If anyone thinks it's not travelling far enough , too far or anything else wrong let me know. Clutch plate is worn badly for a new one. 2000 miles. Flywheel has a few marks. I was hoping to reuse it. See photos, comments please.

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_102706_1.jpg
    IMG_20230417_102706_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230417_102756.jpg
    IMG_20230417_102756.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
Hi all .
Gearbox off seems nowt wrong with thrust bearing see vid . If anyone thinks it's not travelling far enough , too far or anything else wrong let me know. Clutch plate is worn badly for a new one. 2000 miles. Flywheel has a few marks. I was hoping to reuse it. See photos, comments please.
I agree flywheel does have a few hot spots, what was the old clutch like and was it a complete kit and what make?
I would probably clean up the flywheel and fit a good quality complete clutch kit including a new release bearing, making sure it moves easily on the the release arm and slides up and down the support shaft freely. It's a lot of hassle taking the gearbox out again.;)

Back