Technical Clutch bite

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch bite

RX8

Hello,

just about to join Fiorino ownership with a petrol Technica and need some expert advice, hence coming here.
So far have test driven one (69 plate) but the clutch bite is really low, almost on the floor which usually means (to me) that it's well worn. The odo is showing only 10k miles and the front tyres have been replaced from Contis to some cheap Chinese make. Seems a very low mileage for front tyres to go?
Am I right in thinking the clutch slave cylinder is hydraulic and therefore not adjustable?
I'm just a bit dubious about it but don't have any Fiorino experience to know if this is untypical.
Thanks and grateful for any ideas/advice you may have.

Hello,

just about to join Fiorino ownership with a petrol Technica and need some expert advice, hence coming here.
So far have test driven one (69 plate) but the clutch bite is really low, almost on the floor which usually means (to me) that it's well worn. The odo is showing only 10k miles and the front tyres have been replaced from Contis to some cheap Chinese make. Seems a very low mileage for front tyres to go?
Am I right in thinking the clutch slave cylinder is hydraulic and therefore not adjustable?
I'm just a bit dubious about it but don't have any Fiorino experience to know if this is untypical.
Thanks and grateful for any ideas/advice you may have.
In general terms as long as the clutch engages gears easily with no noise/grating etc. I would prefer that to having to nearly lift your foot off the clutch pedal before it starts to take up drive. However many cars these days have concentric clutch slave cylinders which means if they develop an hydraulic fault the gearbox needs removing with associated costs .
Re the tyres assuming mileage to be correct, a car just used around town with tight turns etc, or one that clipped a kerb may warrant tyre change. If buying from a S/H car dealer that would explain the cheap chinese tyres.
Having said all that, I would say two things, next to your home a car is the most expensive object you are likely to buy, so rely on your instincts if it doesn't feel right, you don't know why but something is telling you.
Also take along a knowledgeable friend or someone qualified, it puts the seller at a disadvantage. ;)

Thanks Bugsymike,
yes it's from an independent dealer who is offering an RAC warranty ( which doesn't inspire much confidence as RAC reviews are generally not positive). He was unable to explain the clutch action or tyre wear, maybe what you have suggested are the probable causes.
It drives well, as it should but as you say, trust your instinct; I need to drive another one to compare, only trouble is petrol engined Fiorinos are a bit rare around here😐 (Lancashire/Merseyside).

Thanks Bugsymike,
yes it's from an independent dealer who is offering an RAC warranty ( which doesn't inspire much confidence as RAC reviews are generally not positive). He was unable to explain the clutch action or tyre wear, maybe what you have suggested are the probable causes.
It drives well, as it should but as you say, trust your instinct; I need to drive another one to compare, only trouble is petrol engined Fiorinos are a bit rare around here😐 (Lancashire/Merseyside).
Assuming they are a fairly well established dealer and you haven't noticed any other issues and would like to proceed to buy it, given that you can be sure there is a big profit margin in the deal, two things.
Get him to put two quality tyres on the vehicle along with twelve months Mot.
Also he knows you are concerned about the clutch, so get him to make a special inclusion of that in the warranty, in writing. The reason I say in writing is after fifty years in the motortrade experience has taught me that a salesman will tell you black is white if he can do a deal. I have personally seen that in everything from Franchised Main Dealers , through back street garages and including "private sellers".
This is if you are determined to go through with the deal.

"will tell you black is white if he can do a deal"😊 Absolutely, they are your best friend right up until you drive off the forecourt.
Despite being a 'punter' for about as long as you, I've never owned a Fiat. Alfas yes, as well as Citroens, Renaults, the odd VW with associated BMC, BL and Rover offerings so am a little wary; hence the post for advice.
I'm mulling it over and thanks for the sensible suggestions; may do that and also consider buying it over the phone to get additional protection.

"will tell you black is white if he can do a deal"😊 Absolutely, they are your best friend right up until you drive off the forecourt.
Despite being a 'punter' for about as long as you, I've never owned a Fiat. Alfas yes, as well as Citroens, Renaults, the odd VW with associated BMC, BL and Rover offerings so am a little wary; hence the post for advice.
I'm mulling it over and thanks for the sensible suggestions; may do that and also consider buying it over the phone to get additional protection.
"Absolutely, they are your best friend right up until you drive off the forecourt."
Hence the term White line Warranty, as soon as the car crosses the white line in the road it expires;)

Back