as is now.JPG

Panda (Classic) Mk1 Progress

Introduction

Well I have been accused of being a bit quite. The old mk1 is coming on, although still sort of ugly.

So far she has had…

1) New suspension on the front, (bushes and ball joints all over)
2) New break pipes (copper and rubber0
3) New carb
4) Nice new break master cylinder (thanks whoever let Alan have it to pass onto me)
5) A new re-trim. Door cards where there were none and some nice new seat covers. (Sarah has been busy)

Pictures say a thousand words so have a squint through these.
Thanks for that Rob.!
Besides, its probably true in hindsight..!

Well your new shock absorbers are ordered to replace the one that is soft since the Romanian roads. I'll let you know when they are here and we can sort a time out for you to come and dress in the ceremonial garb and give the blood of you knuckle sacrifice to the car in the handover ritual. :D

(Sarah is taking over the car and has agreed to learn something of the art of spanner spinning to help her keep it going)

Last edited:
Lunatic???? the best quote I heard about Sarah was from the guy doing the dog sitting whilst we went to Istanbul.....

"To go on that trip you must be Madder than a Weasel with it's bum on fire"

All meant in the nicest way.

Talking about the dog sitter were any elastic marks apparent?

Yes hindsight is a wonderfull thing, it's just a pity it isn't one of my attributes, I will see if there is a course available on my return.

Alan, I havent seen the dog sitter since( he still has my house keys) so I have no idea if he wore my pants on his head yet or not.. They all look to be there so he hasnt pinced any .. he is more the "out doorsy" type so woudl have more than likely sniffed my wellies or shot my chickens and eaten them.

Well, the only thing needed to put the Mk1 back into full service after the trip was a new set of front shocks. After a good deal of searching a new set of Boge units were obtained and bolted in today by it's new owner.

Alas I wasn't allowed my supervising stool (in joke) so leaning on the front wing was the order of the day.

I must say, the girl done well :) Sarah has taken to spinning spanners like a natural. After a short demo on taking the assembly out on one side she refitted and went on to complete the other side without fault.

I think she is now taking bookings if anyone needs the job done. (I'll get lynched for that now)

Attachments

• DSCF0075.JPG
    DSCF0075.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0080.JPG
    DSCF0080.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0082.JPG
    DSCF0082.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 64
Well the Mk1 has been cosseted during the winter months and is going back on the road proper next week so she has been with me for a couple of days for a check over and slight upgrade to help night time visibility. The P45t bulbs just don’t cut it despite having direct earths back to the battery. So… Bit of an upgrade in order.

The more observant will spot it. And yes, it’s directly wired with its own loom and just uses the original wiring (direct plug with no cutting and splicing) to switch a relay between high and low beam. So no burning out existing wires as some kits you can buy do.

The pictures are of Dip beam :D

Can't wait for it to get dark to have a proper play. :)

Next up....gutting & Fresh paint :eek: Just got to sort out when.

Attachments

• mk1 new lights 1 (Large).jpg
    mk1 new lights 1 (Large).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 85
  • mk1 new lights 2 (Large).jpg
    mk1 new lights 2 (Large).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I have to say, yours is in fantastic condition!

Have you fitted electronic ignition there? the small box of tricks just next to the strut tower on the left. Would be a strange Mk1 coincidence, as I have used a firm called boyer branson for mine which make electronic ignition units that can use the existing distribution set up. Made a great difference to mine.
Also a round chrome air filter. I made mine up out of a mini K&N filter though. :eek:
I beleive I have seen the one you have on yours on some other car that uses the same engine. Cant put my finger on it now though! :confused:

Si

I have to say, yours is in fantastic condition!

Have you fitted electronic ignition there? the small box of tricks just next to the strut tower on the left. Would be a strange Mk1 coincidence, as I have used a firm called boyer branson for mine which make electronic ignition units that can use the existing distribution set up. Made a great difference to mine.
Also a round chrome air filter. I made mine up out of a mini K&N filter though. :eek:
I beleive I have seen the one you have on yours on some other car that uses the same engine. Cant put my finger on it now though! :confused:

Si

Alan gets the prize for mentioning HID first :)

Although fitting electronic ignition doesn't sound such a bad idea. do you have a link to the stuff you used?

Alan gets the prize for mentioning HID first :)

Although fitting electronic ignition doesn't sound such a bad idea. do you have a link to the stuff you used?

Hi, is the unit i mentioned for the HID then? :eek: Similar kind of size to my ignition system! Anyway, boyer branson make/sell bike stuff really so you cant buy it online. If you phone them up though, they will make one up for your car. They used to sell systems for cars in fact i beleive they just got pissed off with regulations in motor racing or something. If you know anyone who does motor racing, you'll understand how frequently rules change!

EDIT: wrong one -still a bike company is what had me!...
http://www.slickbiker.com/Slickbiker/Contact Us/Contact.Open Page.htm
See next post

I think this is them here, a company called slick racing. May aswell ask anyway, they made mine up for £30-40. Bargain!! And it uses the original signal from the points but uses a small current/voltage so they dont wear out!!
Although, I have recently had to replace the points on mine after the same points had been on the car for 4 years i think now! This is because the follower had worn down on the points. The lube had all gone. So I advise checking on it every now and again. Not too much work, only need to undo 2 screws!

Hope this helps anyway, let me know how you get on!

Si

Last edited:
Alas, despite the slight increase in candle power the Panda is once again back in its pen for a while because there are way too many nasty people and big Lorries on its owners route to work. So….a new toy has been purchased. I quite like Mk1 reflection in the paint.

Attachments

• new toy.jpg
    new toy.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 59
Good people, I need some inspiration.

In a few weeks the Mk1 arrives back with me to be gutted ready for some new paint. And there is the problem. I have no idea what colour to paint it. I do know that its not staying baby blue.

So….I would love to know what your thoughts are on what the colour scheme should be. The inside can be different to the outside, but whatever the colour it is going to have, it must match the seats cus they aren’t being done again.

Currently thoughts are:
Outside...Dark Sapphire
31-Dark-Sapphire_l2_w107_h65.jpg

Inside...Bentley bronze
29-Bronze_l2_w107_h65.jpg

Or as a cop out, Bronze in and out.

Like I said....I need help :shrug:

Back