IMG_05081.jpg

Marty the Smart Forfour

Introduction

Well after months of umming and ahhing my old Saab got to such a woeful state that I needed to just pick something and buy it ASAP.

Crap just collected it photo, need to get some more but the crap weather is discouraging photos.

Its a mid spec model with some options. Somebody's painted the wheels at some point but they've come out looking good and means they're in good nick. The whole car is very clean externally which was one of the things that sold it for me, I don't think I've ever had a car that didn't come with scrapes and scratches at purchase.

It's one cylinder short of an engine and has almost exactly 1/3 of the power of my Saab but it gets along quite well, 5th gear is tall enough that at 70 its quiet and 1st and 2nd gears are very short for maximum take off! I like the little 3 pot thrum it makes and it thrives on revs, VVT comes in around 3500 and it pulls well beyond 5500rpm, almost every car I've owned falls flat on its face at those revs.

The interior needs some TLC with broken off bits here and there but all can be solved quite easily and cheaply.
Most importantly it's fun to drive, the steering has good weight to it and feels connected, it doesn't self centre, at all, which takes some getting used to but gives it a bit of a race car feel :D
I like the idea of the second Gen one of these. Rear engine makes it a unusual thing but from what I read the unusual concept is heavily restricted by a set up designed to make it seem as normal as possible and remove any rear engine character.

These were pretty cool when the came out if I recall.

I previously had a 2008 Twingo GT, which was replaced by the new RR platform and which the new Forfour is based on, unfortunately Renault decided not to do another sporty version of the Twingo and as you said its got a lot of driver aids to remove any sense that its RWD.

The 1st gen Forfour I can already say is heaps of fun and very frugal!

About 1500 happy miles in, needs an oil change soon but its cold and I hate laying on the ground in the cold... (n)

I've bumped into the rev limiter twice, something I've never done in another car, it really likes high RPM.
Around down according to Fuelly I'm getting 40-41MPG, on the motorway about 45-46MPG, I suspect it would do 50 if you stuck to 60mph. I cannot fathom how to get fuelly to work in my signature on here, works fine on another forum...

6 Months of ownership already! 4000 miles later, gave it a proper wash rather than a quick jet wash.

Scrubs up well, no filtering necessary like some of my old bangers!

Exhaust started blowing yesterday after a 400mile roundtrip, sounds like a petrol chainsaw now... Quite good on the overrun, sounds pretty terrible under acceleration :cool::rolleyes:

Back