Let old ladies die or lose your job

Currently reading:
Let old ladies die or lose your job

Anybody on this thread actually read that short article? - suspended (on pay) pending an investigation. No mention of being sacked or what the investigation is about. It may be something to do with authorising the other three helpers (public) to get onto the track, or it may be for failing to something like hitting an alarm to alert the signalman.

There's not enough of a story to go on.

Reactions: MJG
Anybody on this thread actually read that short article? - suspended (on pay) pending an investigation. No mention of being sacked or what the investigation is about. It may be something to do with authorising the other three helpers (public) to get onto the track, or it may be for failing to something like hitting an alarm to alert the signalman.

There's not enough of a story to go on.

I think this is probably not that far from the truth. This was going around our Facebook friends and my initial reaction was how on earth could somebody be suspended for saving a life.

Then a couple of people in the know (who work on railways) pointed out there are a number of procedures to follow if this happens, and that platform based staff must follow them even in an emergency because you can end up losing more than the one life you actually end up saving.

It makes a great news story as it is but I too suspect there is some key info. here that is missing

procedures take time! some times on the spot decisions need to over ride them before a train comes, an investigation can be made with out putting a suspension on his employment record.

We still do not know enough about exactly what happened, what he did or didn't do.

I have had cause to suspend many people in my job before I retired and it is never anything we did lightly, on the face of it yes suspending somebody for saving a life seems unduly harsh but we don't actually know what the reason was, I'm just reserving judgement.

The employer will at this stage be unlikely to be in a position to be able to give a lot more info. at present and give their side of the story for fear of breaching staff confidentiality or compromising the investigation.

Last edited:
I don't think everyone understands what suspension pending investigation means. If he's exonerated by the investigation it won't count for future employment. If he has made a mistake, it's one the potentially put three additional members of the public at risk of death.

Was the signalman told so that train on the line and adjacent lines could be stopped?
Was the track third rail electrified and was the third rail isolated?

This isn't helping some old dear up from the gutter. With the railways the instructions and procedures are there to protect everyone, including the rescuers.

Edit: If you're interested, it may appear here soon. http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/current_investigations_register.cfm

Last edited:
procedures take time! some times on the spot decisions need to over ride them before a train comes, an investigation can be made with out putting a suspension on his employment record.

Procedures are there for a reason.... First rule of first aid is DO NOT put yourself or others at risk especially if any others offering help are not trained to deal with the situation...... Fools rush in springs to mind..... One dead could quickly have become 5..

If there was a 3rd rail there's the real risk of the Rescuer getting a 700vdc shock. either off the casualty or by accidental contact with the live rail or been smacked by a express train and spread along 2 miles of track

Problem is in this day and age Staff get moved about the network one week they could be on a basic 2 rail terminal station getting 10 trains a day and a week later they could be covering a minor but on a express line station with 80 trains a day going through at over 100 mph by the time you hear the rails singing its too late with a electrified line adding to the risk.....

Bit old but you can see the real risks especially if you throw a metal wheel chair or crutches into the mess.

Its got to the stage now that many companies train staff NOT TO USE fire extinguishers even on a small fire just to get out of harms way and leave it to the pros..

Recent First aid training i did put this above everything else... Which i put into action when i come across a HGV tanker accident recently.. Before i got near i put the dynamic risk assessment into action for myself and others who had stopped and took charge of the scene until the emergency services turned up drawing on experience from working in the chemical industry, working with moving plant, having a health and safety qualification and HGV repair knowlage not forgetting the first aid training..

Last edited:
if he had done all that though and then its was too late to save the old lady he might not have been able to live with him self after, all the time thinking if he had just jumped in all would have been well.

Its about time platforms had fences and gates that only open when lined up with a stopped trains doors.

if he had done all that though and then its was too late to save the old lady he might not have been able to live with him self after, all the time thinking if he had just jumped in all would have been well.

Its about time platforms had fences and gates that only open when lined up with a stopped trains doors.

and if the train had hit him as well 2 familys would have lost a loved one... Its a difficult thing to instil in people .....

take one tanker accident a passing driver rushed to the aid of a tanker driver which had gone over.. By the time the emergency services turned up all that was left of the good samaritan was his gold wedding ring as he was engulfed in a rather potent acid yet the driver of the tanker survived largely uninjured ....

And I'm not holier than thou I managed to hospitalise myself rushing to assist in fighting a fire at work

First rule of first aid, check for danger.

I Stopped to help an elderly man who had crashed his push bike into the barriers around an open excavation so what did I do, jump in the 5 foot deep hole to help.

Anyway turns out the many way laying/hiding a 11kb power line that was partially exposed, fire brigade had a massive hissy fit when they turned up

First rule of first aid, check for danger.

I Stopped to help an elderly man who had crashed his push bike into the barriers around an open excavation so what did I do, jump in the 5 foot deep hole to help.

Anyway turns out the many way laying/hiding a 11kb power line that was partially exposed, fire brigade had a massive hissy fit when they turned up

in my case it was more rush to do a shut down of the plant to isolate services and extraction to reduce the air flow... then grab a nice big 9 ltr foam extinguisher then run across factory to assist.... problem been running with a 9ltr extinguisher which takes you off balance resulting in tripping and smacking shin on some steel work and exposing the bone...... 5 staples later it was somewhat like right :cry: by the time i had got there hobbling and bleeding 2 other lads had the fire out...

Last edited:
The weight of 9 litre extinguishers is the main reason I advise clients to get rid of them for a smaller extinguisher that the average person can actually lift, carry and use without putting there back out! There are few situations where water is the only appropriate extinguisher.

Back