Laptop wont boot

Currently reading:
Laptop wont boot

Got a mates emachines D620 laptop here,

it Had dead hard drive, bios couldn't find it programs on the hirens boot cd couldn't find it.
the recovery discs that came with the laptop couldnt find it.

so got her a brand new hard drive 250 gig old one was 160 gig.

installed it set it up with only 1 partition, put the recovery discs in, they installed, message said complete, disc pops out says click button to restart.

i restart after the bios press f2 for set up or f10 for boot menu. All i get is a black screen with a white dash in top left corner :(

i thought maybe its new hard drive is too big for the system so repartitioned it in to 2. reinstalled the recovery discs it said it was done, restart and its still the same :bang: help please i lost :(

There is no beeping coming from the bios speaker is there? Have you removed the RAM and replaced it?

version it had was 1.03 only download was 1.03a i think thats the same one? i ran it anyway no different.
on the hirens cd was a boot windows vista/7/xp from hard drive option, i clicked that and its now finishing windows setup ( the user name, time zone an stuff) :shrug:

Last edited:
Might not be a virus, just the AV software getting foncused.

What OS are you using, why are you booting from a boot CD and not the OS install disc?

Boot from the OS disc, go into the recovery console and type fixmbr

What OS?

I'd be tempted to just get a copy of it, and use the serial number. Recovery discs have all sorts of extra bloat.

Try recovery and fixmbr first though.

ah i pressed f8 on recover disc boot now got a this, edit me blind

DSCF6207.JPG

DSCF6206.JPG

Last edited:
Check the BIOS for Sata and AHCI modes. If it is set to SATA then change it to AHCI, or to AHCI if it is SATA. Worth a shot, could be the recovery image was in the other mode and therefore Windows has the wrong driver.

it hasn't got them options in there, its very basic hardly any thing you can change in it

Back