another dead laptop

Currently reading:
another dead laptop

its an acer aspire 5517
if i select start windows normally it just goes to blank screen
if i choose launch start up repair i still get a blank screen

but if i put in a hirens cd and then choose boot from hardisc it says starting windows and a acer recovery management comes up and says please wait a moment. then its stuck there and does nothing more.

if i boot to mini xp with hirens cd it cant see hd

possible corrupt bios dave... i fix all lappy's for a second income and to the best of my knowledge it has been usually something wrong with the way the cmos communicates with the bios, wouldnt do any harm to try a latest bios flash.

if bios doesnt help you then things to try are

try bios reset remove battery and mains hold pwr button down for about 1 min
reattach batt first the mains and fire her up.

remove all ram and boot (should beep at you) no beeps = nackered bios

remove cpu re-seat and clean the die with isoprop alchohol or similar and re-paste the die and then boot up.

can also be the hard drive too in rare cases as the boot cd creates its own semi partition hence why it boots but when booting normal the hard drive is having a dicky fit and tells the cpu (i dont want to) so cpu says ok i will tell the gpu then aswell hence why no screen.

all of the above can contribute to blank screen tho dave, just thought i''d try and help ya.

dont bin the hd download some s/ware called spotmau fixes bad hard drives, if you do chuck it make sure you use your trusty 7lb lump hammer....stops the id thieves using spotmau themselves on your recycled drive

its not a good idea tho dave to just stick a hard drive in thats from another laptop because it will contain device drivers that belong to that laptop it came from and could cause crashes and freezes. if you manage to get as far as the desktop then i would either format that drive after after back up and re install the correct operating system for your laptop on it.

did you try the bios reset procedure dave? i have a hunch it will sort the loading problem
although you have a harddrive in there that probably has device drivers for different hardware. your not far off sorting it tho.

dave try this

reset the bios by removing the battery and mains supply then hold pwr button for 1 min
re attach battery and mains lead. put hard drive back in and put in a software recovery disc and boot from cd drive. basically you want to do a complete fresh install of the windows software and what that will do is sort it out once and for all, ive done it 100's of times with exactly the same problem. post back

dave try this

reset the bios by removing the battery and mains supply then hold pwr button for 1 min
re attach battery and mains lead. put hard drive back in and put in a software recovery disc and boot from cd drive. basically you want to do a complete fresh install of the windows software and what that will do is sort it out once and for all, ive done it 100's of times with exactly the same problem. post back

i have no windows 7 disc and the licence key on the back is also worn unreadable :(

ah well you need a software disc maybe borrow one from someone as you can still input your licence code on the back of the laptop. it will sort it though i can assure you mate. if your code is not readable you can still get a licence code for nowt.

Last edited:
no probs mate if you get the disc and carry out the install and let me know when you have got it running to desktop i can get your code for you.

all the best :)

Back