Technical Jacking point to fit jack stands in

Currently reading:
Technical Jacking point to fit jack stands in

Hi all, new to the forums hope you’re all well I need to complete some work on replacing both front brake pads. And looking for jacking points to get the front of the car up to get the jack stands in would it be fine to jack where the bolt is in the picture. Many thanks
60B31AAD-181E-4EDA-9D13-1D4365B8B174.jpeg

Thats the right place. It’s where the factory fit the car to the production jig. Use a bit of wood to protect the car a bit more. I have also suppoted under the subframe mounting bolts with no issues.
Perfect, thanks very much didn’t fancy going through the bottom off the car 😂

As @The Panda Nut says, in the factory the ‘dolly’ the body sits on is located in the round holes (two at each end of the car), and this is also where a garage post lift should be positioned . Using this allows the jack point on the sill to be used for an axle stand.

Attachments

• 3A322F93-64D5-40A9-B810-24F7A80C9396.jpeg
    3A322F93-64D5-40A9-B810-24F7A80C9396.jpeg
    849.8 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: TTR
Welcome to the forum.

This might help you - it's from the 500 section, but the Panda is structurally similar.

Also I notice your picture shows there's a nasty bit of seam corrosion developing (top centre). You might want to do something about this - if it spreads further, in that position, it'll be an MOT failure.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

This might help you - it's from the 500 section, but the Panda is structurally similar.

Also I notice your picture shows there's a nasty bit of seam corrosion developing (top centre). You might want to do something about this - if it spreads further, in that position, it'll be an MOT failure.
That's a great post. And - reassuringly - is exactly how I do mine. Your photos of the jack, block and car could have been taken looking overly shoulder at some point - except my car's green :)

Tip!

Wood is a good protector for jack metal to car metal / underseal / other etc.

You can also (and I do with great success) use cheap Ice Hockey Pucks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403176682149

They are strong, grippy and can be safely stacked (two or three BUT NO MORE)

I carry 4 in the boot of my 500X for personal use or when some other roadside / tyre shop / others want to just place their metal plated jack in and just crank away!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Is it ok to put axel stands under the spring cups or under the back axel?
A most definite no to both.

Using the spring cups isn't safe as the weight of that corner of the car will be resting on the spring; axle stands should always be placed on a rigid part of the chassis.

The back axle isn't designed to take a point load anywhere along its length and may deform if you jack or support the car that way. There is a warning label to that effect on new cars, but on most older ones, will likely be unreadable or have fallen off by now. Bent rear beams are one cause of the wheel alignment issues often reported here.

Wood is a good protector for jack metal to car metal / underseal / other etc.
Absolutely.

Never jack metal-on-metal, as you're practically guaranteed to chip whatever protection (paint, underseal, whatever) is on there. Once chipped, it provides a starting point for corrosion.

This may give some ideas? If its good enough for them.......
Gong against the grain. It may be good for purely the body shell, gives them a positive alignment point on the track AND keeps them clear of the actual loading points that the sub frames and axles will transmit loading to the entire structure. I am happier lifting on the interfaces of these, whilst protecting the bolt ends. More positive engagement and less potential damage to coatings in these critical areas.

I tend to agree. I did lift with a trolley jack on the front today using a block on top and it seems none the worse for it. I now have some hockey pucks with a slot that I can use on the jacking points once I have the jack modified....
Have you stepped them as well as slotted? ( like the jack so that takes load on both sides of the seam)

Have you stepped them as well as slotted? ( like the jack so that takes load on both sides of the seam)
These are an eBay purchase. The work a treat supporting both sides. They need a flat surface to sit on though. I wrecked the first one using my trolley jack which wasnt properly flat so they broke in half.

Back