General Its 1242 time baby !!!!! (56k Warning)

Currently reading:
General Its 1242 time baby !!!!! (56k Warning)

Re: Its 1242 time baby !!!!!

its coming from the bottom of the inlet manifold, so im thinking its just a case of replacing the gasket.

what do you think?

had a look at taking it off before i had enough for the day, is there an easy way of getting the inlet mainfold off? the nuts underneath look like a right pain (n) :bang:

It can be done, although it is a bloody challenge.

Needs a universal joint and extension bar on the wrench, lots of swearing and a long time.

Or if you have really nimble fingers you might be able to get a spanner under it!

got the inlet manifold off and on fairly easy.

went to change the gasket with a new one and ocscotts game me the wrong one :mad: so got my money back as they didnt have any in :( #

went home to find a plastic type metal one one the old engine in nearly perfect condition :slayer:

filled it up with water and oil and try to start it

it turned over but wouldnt start :( then realised the cam belt wasnt on properly and there was a nut stuck between the cogs :bang: . hopefully when this is sorted it will turn over with out chugging. going to do that weds i think then hopefully it has life. got loads of pics but aint donated yet and every one shouts at me for the pics being to big from photobucket :eek:

99sei said:
plans for the future are (pending when we move house)

engine back out to paint and anodise everything
re-spray the bay area
have a go at customs headlights
customs body work (when i learn how to use a mig welder)
then full re-spray (by me) i no people will say dont bother, but a lot of people said dont try the conversion my self and look where i am :p

Is nice to see when someone has got the courage to do a job that seems to be a big problem because of the lack of experience. Only with this attitude mankind advanced further than the invention of the candle.

Just one thing I wouldn't advise you to di is the anodising of any of the cast parts. They contain so much silicon that the anodising will look terrible. You are better off powder coating, which can look very similar.

ahh thanks for the advice oldschool. might just get everything acid dipped and shot blasted then. along with a bit of polishing. pends if i can get it running.lol

gona have a late one on the course work tonight and have a crack at the engine again tomorrow.

ive got an idea for painting the engine when i take it out again, but what heat resistant paint should i be looking for?

had a little play to day and no joy :(

i know why there were flames popin from the block though, put two of the HT leads on wrong :rolleyes:

any way it will turn over stop judder turn over stop judder. any ideas on what it can be? im thinking may be starter motor?

any way drained the battery trying to get it started so put the battery on my other cinq and that wont blood start either :bang: , i did leave the bonnet open with the rocker cover off for a few days though :( oops
so ive put the battery on charge and gona put it on tomorrow and pray for it to start, wudnt that be a good 21st present :D

so any ideas post them up.

cheers (y)

Timing it up is easy with the Haynes, also search this section for timing instructions.

Don't get help now, your nearly there!

Liam

think i know how to do it.

you take the head off and turn the cog till piston number 1 is sitting high (will check haynes tomorrow)

with the timing being out would this cause it not to fire up, i thought it would fire up but run badly????

can you use the same gasket again though when you take the head off?

oh and the nearly there bloomfield - oh im no where near - ive put the thing in the gear box on the wrong way round so cant move the clutch arm so the engine is defiantly coming back out, then the real tarting up and work begins :devil:

in my mind im going for the nicest engine bay give it about 2 months for uni exams to fininsh and there will be up dates every day :yum:

There is no need to remove the head to time up the car, you use the marks on the pulleys and diagrams, turn the bottom pulley by hand till these marks line up with the Haynes directions, slip on the belt, do up you tensioner and give it a try.

Make sure the crank sensor is located properly too.

Liam

There should be one on the camshaft gear and you should be able to see one on the crankshaft gear with the alternator pully removed. These two gears must be lined up but the water pump does not matter.

Attachments

• TIMING 2.JPG
    TIMING 2.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 238
  • TIMING 1.JPG
    TIMING 1.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 237
Back