General Its 1242 time baby !!!!! (56k Warning)

Currently reading:
General Its 1242 time baby !!!!! (56k Warning)

Re: Its 1242 time baby !!!!!

just thought id update my thread, i timed the engine today with sucess, it turn over better now.

but still wouldnt come to life, i get a puff of white smoke come out of the TB when its turning over fuel is being sprayed in the TB so i no the line is ok. could it be the TDC?

this is what the problem was with the other thread i started for a friend.

then i stupidly asked for my dads help and as he turned it over the starter motor went, the starter motor is off and going to fit the punto 60 one tomorrow

Is it firing and kicking but not starting?

Id be inclined to say you might have the HT leads on the wrong order.

FYI. Haynes is wrong at the back (it says one coil serves plugs 1 and 2 and the other 3 and 4), you need to follow the diagram at the front in the Ignition section, thats the right one!

Hi

You have got the alternator pully in the correct position with the pip on the crank pully in the hole in the alternator pully? Other than that as the above reply says ensure the HT leads are in the correct order-you should find the numbers on the metal part that the coil packs are bolted to.

Rich.

no luck :(

put the starter motor on and it turns over now but doesnt fire in to life. i keep getting puffs of white smoke from the TB. ive put the HT leads on according to section 5 of the haynes manual

"You have got the alternator pully in the correct position with the pip on the crank pully in the hole in the alternator pully"

not sure what you mean by this mate, im a novice mechanic :eek:

can you use the tdc off the 1242 of do you have to change it to the cinq tdc?

just a stupid idea but, the distance between the spark plugs are the same on the punto as the cinq aint they?

ive used the cinq spark plugs!

just read that i need to use the cinq crank position sensor, this is the TDC right, please say this is my problem

Last edited:

The crank pulley (one wot drives the alternator belt) has three bolts holding it on. As well as these three bolts, there is a pin which needs to locate in the small hole in the pulley. If it's not lined up, then the ignition will be 120' out of phase.

TDC means Top Dead Centre. The crankshaft position sensor is mounted pointing at the crank pulley, it's sometimes referred to as a TDC sensor. Only difference between the Cinq and Punto one is the length of the cable.

If it's firing out of the throttle body, you sure the cam timing is right?

You sure the fuel feed and return hoses are on the right connections? Sometimes the best of us gfet these arse first...

Cento and Punto spark plugs are the same.

I'd go with the alternator pulley, if your not conciously looking to get it the right way you've only a 1/3 chance of getting it right, this is where i went wrong when i timed my 1242 ages ago :cool:

you will have to excuse the last post i was just so chuffed it started :eek:

any way had a little play sunday, and boy does it sound good. could play too long as i didnt put the outlet manifold on properly so was giving me a headache listening to it. going to leave it for a while now, let it run and then take it back out. got my 3rd year uni exams soon so need to knuckle down :(

then after that the engine is coming back out, everything is being painted and anodised that can be, possibly including the bolts and nuts. then im putting it back together properly.

exams end 25th of may so i reckon i could get it back out painted ect and back in by about the 10th june.

so going from not knowing how to change break pads early january to fitting a new engine in april, not bad :devil:

oh and thanks to all the people that gave adive and encouragement

got a bot bored today as nothing was on tv after eastenders :(

so went out to the car to start removing the engine

progress so far.... all done just need to attach the hoist and remove the passenger and drive side mounts then it should drop straight out. only took me an hour too, to remove everything :D

any way all bolts are bagged up ready to be taken and acid diped and zinc plated for hopefully a very nice, tidy and colourful engine bay.

going out on the hunt tomorrow for some heat resistant paint and lacqure and a pair of 6.5" components for my rover. going to try and keep a pic diary this time so will keep you all up dated

Might be an idea to run an appropriately sized die down each bolt to make sure the threads are clear of any crap whilst theyre off....the same applies for the threaded holes in the engine

I've got to say Im very impressed with your commitment to doing the whole thing yourself (y)

Im planning on buying a Cinq within the next couple of months and keeping it off road to work on until around October time which is when my insurance is up for renewal and I can add a second car to my policy.

Good luck with the engine, I bet it feels great going from knowing the bare minimum about mechanics to completing an engine conversion with very little help :D

Great work my friend, keep it up :worship:

it does feel great mate, but even better than that i reckon i could have the old engine out and a new engine in by my self in about 12 hours :D

little up date (pics to follow soon)

engine is out with gear box seperated - been painting the gear box and sump with hammerite then going over them in black paint, oh been getting all the rust off too. it taken me nearly 2 days to clean up the gearbox and sump so it a slow process but hopefully worth it in the end.

got some red heat resistant paint and lacqure to paint parts of the engine and thats it so far i think :confused:

oh how hard is it to take the fly wheel off and re-fit it again? ive been told not to do it!

kris (y)

Easy, but its much easier if you whip the sump off so you can lock the crankshaft. When you put it back on, make sure you use threadlock and torque it up to the correct setting.

Why take it off though? Unless youre gonna get it balanced and lightened, in which case, its much much much (I really cant stress it enough) better to balance the whole crank train (pistons, conrods, fly+clutch cover and balancer) rather than just one component!!

although i just the flywheel on mine, you're not too far from me are you 99sei. place in Cannok did my flywheel for a good price :)

pics as promised (if it works :eek: )

dirty punto 60 engine :(
dirty_engine.JPG

semi clean punto 60 engine :D
a_patchy_but_clean_engine.JPG

dirty cinq gear box :(
gear_box.JPG

clean cinq gear box :D
ahhh_a_clean_gear_box.JPG

now i have a question, the engine has had about 3 coats of heat resistant paint so far but still looking very patchy, could i spray it in normal red paint to cover it all and then go over it again in heat resistant pain?

will the paint that i sprayed on peel off even though it is between layers of heat resistant paint?

kris (y)

Back