Technical Instrument cluster lights problem(partial).

Currently reading:
Technical Instrument cluster lights problem(partial).

Adamgreen409

Hi all,

After searching the forum for a couple of hours I can't find anything relevant so I am hoping someone on here might be able to shed light on a recent problem with my MKIIb instrument cluster problem.

Most of the warning lights work as they should except for the lights on warning light, the bulb monitoring warning light and there is no background illumination when the lights are on.

I have checked all the usual suspects of fuses, relays and connectors. all seem good.
I got a second set of clocks from the local scrapper and plugged it in and it is doing exactly the same.

I checked all the SMDs with a multimeter and they all glow, so I believe its a power issue somewhere. It is only the side/dipped light warning lights and background that are at fault. The main beam light operates correctly.

Prior to this the bulb monitoring light had been lit constantly when ignition was on I have only owned the car for a month.

Other faults that may have some relevance:

Neither fog or driving lights will switch on or their relevant warning light.

Intermittently at low revs with hard steering lock the headlights will switch off momentarily and occasionally when reversing.

Thanks Adam

Sounds like it may need plugging into something like MES (fiat diagnosic tool which you can download yourself) and check out the body computer.

As there are several faults it could be a number of things, the switch for the lights, the ignition switch of the car causing problems. A faulty earth somewhere around the front of the car, or worst case scenario the body computer has a fault, but Keep your fingers crossed its not that.

With the diagnostic software you can turn on and off all the lights on the dash individually and independently from the switches, so you can see if the lights are at fault or if its switches causing the issue.

Its a bit complicated, but what you describe is a complicated issue.

Back