Technical Ecu problem

Currently reading:
Technical Ecu problem

Tor1988

Hi, I can’t connect with the Ecu I tried different apps, adapters, even with laptop. I can’t connect to the Ecu and I really don’t know why! If it broken can I just exchange ecu or has it something to do with the key chip?

Hi, I can’t connect with the Ecu I tried different apps, adapters, even with laptop. I can’t connect to the Ecu and I really don’t know why! If it broken can I just exchange ecu or has it something to do with the key chip?
Assuming the vehicle is running with no major issues I suspect the fault lies with the OBD diagnostic port .
It is possible to check power and earthing to certain pins to prove this using a voltmeter, however to prevent potential damage/shorting etc. I suggest some like this, a breakout box which plugs into the OBD port and allows testing of individual pins without damage .
It is possible an earthing point is faulty or even a fuse to the power supply to the OBD port.

Attachments

• DSCF1037.JPG
    DSCF1037.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 43
Hold your horses cowboy. What kind of USB adapter you're using? Do some research first.
Did you knew, some of them are not compatible with Fiats, especially using Fiat specific software like FES or MES?
Then, we have next step. Drivers (USB or BT acting like COM port) and configuration.
And the car itself. Some older cars have K-line communication, there is no CAN. Or the opposite (CAN only).
The protocols are different, OBD2 port pins are different and the software required also (MES should handle both).

Plus, give us the proper info. Is the car running or dead? These are 2 completely different scenarios.

PS
You cannot just swap ECU, it will need Immo signal from the original key (from the donor car). In every country there are companies, workshops who erase the ECUs (so called "virgin" state and/or "immo off"). You can (you must) buy one like that (not just random used one from eBay, unless they claim it's "virginized"). Other option is a full set from donor car (ECU + Body Computer + keys + door lock internals).

Last edited:
Hold your horses cowboy. What kind of USB adapter you're using? Do some research first.
Did you knew, some of them are not compatible with Fiats, especially using Fiat specific software like FES or MES?
Then, we have next step. Drivers (USB or BT acting like COM port) and configuration.
And the car itself. Some older cars have K-line communication, there is no CAN. Or the opposite (CAN only).
The protocols are different, OBD2 port pins are different and the software required also (MES should handle both).

Plus, give us the proper info. Is the car running or dead? These are 2 completely different scenarios.

PS
You cannot just swap ECU, it will need Immo signal from the original key (from the donor car). In every country there are companies, workshops who erase the ECUs (so called "virgin" state and/or "immo off"). You can (you must) buy one like that (not just random used one from eBay, unless they claim it's "virginized"). Other option is a full set from donor car (ECU + Body Computer + keys + door lock internals).
Hi the car is runing but there are some strange things also that i cant connect with ecu i only tried some bluetooth and wifi adapters from 2 euro to 200 euro.. and with some laptop programs.. k-line how to check that?

Either you're doing something very wrong (you cannot handle the setup, software, drivers and so on, you're completely clueless) or all your OBD2 interfaces are incompatible with Fiat.
There are plenty of threads like that, communication problems (no need to start new ones like you did). Just Search. Or buy the interface advertised as "for Fiat".
Example: https://www.ebay.nl/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=elm327+fiat&_sacat=0

In the past people were messing with the PCBs, resistor removal etc. I don't think you still (in 2023) have to do that (just buy the Fiat dedicated hardware).
http://forum.multiecuscan.net/viewtopic.php?t=1493&start=2480
https://www.google.com/search?q=elm327+fiat+resistor+removal

Last option is a ECU failure (CAN lines fried - but the car should not start and drive) or the CAN network is damaged (shorted or broken etc.) partially (or it's intermittent). Or it's just a bad OBD2 port (check the plug/socket in the car)!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back