I miss my 205GTi

Currently reading:
I miss my 205GTi

If I'm honest I find the new 208 to be a bit fugly. There seem to be very few cars that can touch the 500 for looks around at the moment

I had a 206 GTI 180 back in 2003 It was ok 0-60 in 7.4 but nothing special.
Here is a photo of it.
16329084_ffdf84aa8d_o.jpg

I love Peugeots and miss my old 205GTi, could this be the answer ?

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/concept-cars-showroom/208-gti/concept-car/#!

I know sorry it was off topic, I will take all slack on this :)

oh the 500 TA is doing great so nothing to post on that :D

Better off leaving it as a memory.
Looking at wiki there's are only 3 cylinder petrol engines or diesels in the 208.
A current day Swift GTI is probably the nearest to it to drive and it has airbags.;)
The 206GTI has the engine out of the Cooper S and they're going cheapish but seem to be a bit troublesome.
Can't help thinking that you might have preferred a A500 to that TA.:idea:

Better off leaving it as a memory.
Looking at wiki there's are only 3 cylinder petrol engines or diesels in the 208.
A current day Swift GTI is probably the nearest to it to drive and it has airbags.;)
The 206GTI has the engine out of the Cooper S and they're going cheapish but seem to be a bit troublesome.
Can't help thinking that you might have preferred a A500 to that TA.:idea:

yes leave it as a memory... but its that damn memory that makes me wish I still had one of those. No offense to 500s, but the 205 stuck to the road like train on tracks, is its the same with A500 / SSs :confused:

yes leave it as a memory... but its that damn memory that makes me wish I still had one of those. No offense to 500s, but the 205 stuck to the road like train on tracks, is its the same with A500 / SSs :confused:

I was in a mates 205GTI that spun mid-corner when he eased off on the throttle - it was in the 1.9 which wasn't as balanced as the 1.6. So I lost my faith in them for 'staying on the road'.

The A500 felt great but the SS model with the harder suspension seemed to hover a bit and seemed to spin the outside wheel if you were pressing on. You can see from the attachment which one 'they' voted for. I wouldn't mention the magazine but many will recognise where it came from. A A500c with a manual would be a nice car for an Alpine tour.

Attachments

• Best 500.jpg
    Best 500.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 31
I think for value for money, looks and great chaps on this forum it would end up being the A500. How's it going with yours, will you come back to fiat ?

I think for value for money, looks and great chaps on this forum it would end up being the A500. How's it going with yours, will you come back to fiat ?

Funnily enough I am still with Fiat. The Alfa MiTo 155TB is an Abarth Grand Punto with a different body. Only very recently are true Alfa heads considering the Mito and they're looking at the QV model which is the multi-air one with 170bhp but it reality it only has 163bhp because the airbox restricts the power. They have been some GP MJ drivers switching to the MA135 and others who have bought the 'basic' MiTo for the OH but they would drive a 'true' V6 Alfa.
The engine in it has the same burble off the A500 but the power lasts a little longer but comes on a bit later. I'm amazed at the 'economy' it gives and reckon that the same T-jet engine in an A500 with 16 inch wheels (not the continental 2s) would give the same mpg. I have attached the figures for it from later on last week on a round trip with the OH on a 2 day excursion over some pretty bad roads and some 'open tolled motorways' when it was very impressive. The T-jet engine still gives the new breed of multi-air engines a 'run for their money'.
If a resonably priced A500 came up I would jump at it but with the current exchange rates for the Euro at 77p plans to import one have been shelved for the time being. If I was based in the UK I would have no hesitation in buying one but I would be tempted to get a 'c'.

Attachments

• IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 17
So you are driving an Abarth in disguise. The mileage is very good, have you bettered that ?

On a previous trip to a funeral I had 34mpg on the outbound but from the round trip ended up with 42mpg. That was 50mpg on the 'in-bound' journey. The 2 extremes of licencing losing and eco driving. 6th gear on the MiTo is supposedly the same as the 5th on the A500 but it feels higher. I would 'shuttle' between Normal & Dynamic and use Dynamic for extra torque / boost without having to 'over press' the throttle. It would be 3-4mpg higher than other MiTo 155TB drivers but I have the Densos, crankcase breather, 98 octane, K&N and most crucially the 16 inch wheels. Figs above are on the readout so you would need to take 1-3 mpg off for a real figure.
Around the town readout varies between 34-37mpg.

On a previous trip to a funeral I had 34mpg on the outbound but from the round trip ended up with 42mpg. That was 50mpg on the 'in-bound' journey. The 2 extremes of licencing losing and eco driving. 6th gear on the MiTo is supposedly the same as the 5th on the A500 but it feels higher. I would 'shuttle' between Normal & Dynamic and use Dynamic for extra torque / boost without having to 'over press' the throttle. It would be 3-4mpg higher than other MiTo 155TB drivers but I have the Densos, crankcase breather, 98 octane, K&N and most crucially the 16 inch wheels. Figs above are on the readout so you would need to take 1-3 mpg off for a real figure.
Around the town readout varies between 34-37mpg.

you are loosing me dude without looking up the items, only thing I know is K&N from motorbike.

I always loved the 205GTi when I was younger, never driven one, I always just loved them as the underdog to the Golf GTi, I always wanted the car that was a little less common.
I don't like the 208 though, its too.... flat at the front?

I know what your are saying re 208, but its better than the 206/207... its the GTI that caught my eye :)

I had the 205GTi as a company car when I moved London, made some great trips on the M40 back up north to bring wife down !!

...but I have the Densos, crankcase breather, 98 octane, K&N and most crucially the 16 inch wheels.

you are loosing me dude without looking up the items, only thing I know is K&N from motorbike.

I've attached a picture of what a crankcase breather looks like and it works well on a turbo charged engine - idea for the TA ? This particular filter is off a motorbike.
The Densos refer to iridium spark plugs made by Denso and are better but more expensive than the OEM iridium NGKs. I did check out the ones used on the TA and they have a platinum tip but there's currently no iridium equivalents in either NGK or Denso.
The K&N is very similar to the BMC cotton gauze filter used in the esseesse model.
All those mods added together don't give any more that 2 bhp but they improve the efficiency of the engine which might explain the better fuel consumption.

Attachments

• Pipercross 28mm Crankcase breather.JPG
    Pipercross 28mm Crankcase breather.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 16
Back