What's the one car you've owned that you miss the most...?

Currently reading:
What's the one car you've owned that you miss the most...?

What's your current fleet? :)

'83 Alfa GTV-6, '88 Pontiac Firebird, '99 Fiat Palio Weekend, '04 Alfa GT jtd.
'69 Garelli Rekord, '73 Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, '85 Ducati MHR Mille, '04 Vespa Ciao....
Some bought new, most bought 2-3 yrs old...

I very much like to buy a Laverda 1000 or 1200 from the Seventies, but my wife is strongly against it, so...

Last edited:
'83 Alfa GTV-6, '88 Pontiac Firebird, '99 Fiat Palio Weeekend, '04 Alfa GT jtd.
'69 Garelli Rekord, '73 Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, '85 Ducati MHR Mille, '04 Vespa Ciao....
Some bought new, most bought 2-3 yrs old...

I very much like to buy a Laverda 1000 or 1200 from the Seventies, but my wife is strongly against it, so...

Liking the Alfas! :)

Hi,
The car I miss the most was a Renault 21 Turbo. Black saloon with all the options. Could take it anywhere, work, wedding, car meet or funeral without embarresment or explanation. Went like stink, but attracted no adverse attention. Didn't sell it, a young driver pulled out of a drive and stuffed the front wheel of their Metro into my wheelarch. I was only doing about 10 MPH approaching a red light, but the torque from my wheel ripped the front suspension out and the insurance wrote it off. Bought another but it had all the known problems that I'd fixed on mine over the years and just could not do all that again.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi,
The car I miss the most was a Renault 21 Turbo. Black saloon with all the options. Could take it anywhere, work, wedding, car meet or funeral without embarresment or explanation. Went like stink, but attracted no adverse attention. Didn't sell it, a young driver pulled out of a drive and stuffed the front wheel of their Metro into my wheelarch. I was only doing about 10 MPH approaching a red light, but the torque from my wheel ripped the front suspension out and the insurance wrote it off. Bought another but it had all the known problems that I'd fixed on mine over the years and just could not do all that again.

Robert G8RPI.

Very cool. I occasionally used to see a red 21 Quadra parked down my road. A brilliant piece of 80s design.

I bought a (new) Broom yellow Fiat Punto mk2 Sporting in March 2000 and commuted 80 miles a day in it for five years before swapping it for a (also new) MINI Cooper S (R53, supercharged). The MINI is a terrific car, but I missed the Punto so much that I bought a secondhand Sporting as well!

I'm starting to understand how I've ended up with all these stupid cars.

[Pooroldcodger: I love the sound of your Chevette! I always wanted the HS2300 version...]

Last edited:
Have you still got it? :)

I sold the second Punto Sporting (a red one) in April, when I bought my Stilo Abarth - otherwise I would have had six cars on the road at the same time, which is a bit much!

Some pics of the second one, all original and very nice condition. I owned it for two years and sold it for £20 less than I paid. I can live with £10 per year depreciation :)

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

Last edited:
Doesn't quite fit the "car I wish I still had", more the "Car I tried to buy but was turned down"! I've had 8 Citroens of various models over the last 40 years, and the small motor repairer I used to service these cars had one of the last Citroen DS23 Pallas fuel injected saloons in black with full leather interior, a stunning car which he kept in the back of his garage, describing it as his 'future pension'. I've always coveted and drooled over the DS, several times I tried to buy it from him and he refused to sell, then 6 months after my last attempt, it appeared on a transporter in the driveway of a guy 3 doors away from me, who, apart from driving a taxi, bought and sold various 'classic' cars as a sideline. I never found out why he'd got it despite my attempts to buy it, but needless to say, he quickly sold it on before I had an opportunity to make an offer, and I was gutted to say the least! Nowadays, a good DS fetches the wrong side of 20k, so I'll never get to own one.

...Citroen DS23 Pallas fuel injected saloons in black with full leather...I never found out why he'd got it despite my attempts to buy it, but needless to say, he quickly sold it on before I had an opportunity to make an offer, and I was gutted to say the least! Nowadays, a good DS fetches the wrong side of 20k, so I'll never get to own one.

Co-incidentally, I've been drooling over a stunning DS that's on Car & Classic at the moment - but there's a lot of other amazing cars you can buy for £85k...that's right, it's £85k! :eek:

A 1967 Volvo P1800S - a red one.
(like the one Roger Moore drove in "the saint", but red, not white, and mine was a Swedish built "S" version not one of the earlier badly put together ones built by Jensen in the UK)
Although I do believe that one of them once held the world record for the most miles ever on one car, clocking over 3 million miles...
Similar to this one - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Volvo-P1800.jpg
I still have a photo of it in my wallet with my then girlfriend, now wife, standing next to it...

I didn't know about the Jensen link - thanks.

US college professor in So.Cal - 200 mile each-way commute - IIRC only the BLOCK of engine was original:rolleyes:

thanks for sharing,
Charlie

A 1967 Volvo P1800S - a red one.
(like the one Roger Moore drove in "the saint", but red, not white, and mine was a Swedish built "S" version not one of the earlier badly put together ones built by Jensen in the UK)
I had it 1985-1990...
A great looking car, and one that would cruise at 80mph all day in absolute comfort. Unfortunately it had to go as I was doing over 2000 miles every month and it was destroying it... Old cars take a lot of looking after when you're doing that sort of mileage... :(
Although I do believe that one of them once held the world record for the most miles ever on one car, clocking over 3 million miles...
Similar to this one - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Volvo-P1800.jpg
I still have a photo of it in my wallet with my then girlfriend, now wife, standing next to it...

That was the reason I got into the motor trade when I was 16. Dad and I had the same car, same model, even the same colour. The wings were no longer available and were an inch longer on the 'S'. I spent 4 years apprenticeship in panel beating back in those days, all because of that Volvo. Still maintain it was the only car they built with any real character.

Other cars I miss; Firenza Droopsnoot - saved my life that car.....killed it by high speed impact with a tree. Well it survived, was repaired and never got over the incident with it developing an engine knock a few months later.

The 3100 Capri I wish survived as they are telephone numbers now. The mint 3.0s I bought years later as an investment was stolen by banger boys.

I would have another 260 Nissan Patrol any day - and remains my highest miler at 576k when I sold it, and it still looked and drove perfectly!

BMW 328I. Sold it to my friend because he loves it but can't afford for a new one. It is still in good shape and won girls pretty easy.

My 1988 range rover vogue efi..... ruinously expensive to run but a proper 4x4 that you park could outside the ritz or lidl and no one would say a word.. made you feel like lord of the manor and felt like it would outlive continental drift.

Sold to fund a wedding dress for my beautiful (second) wife.. :D

Last edited:
My 1988 range rover vogue efi..... ruinously expensive to run but a proper 4x4 that you park could outside the ritz or lidl and no one would say a word.. made you feel like lord of the manor and felt like it would outlive continental drift.

Sold to fund a wedding dress for my beautiful (second) wife.. :D

That's one hell of a dilemma!
How do the running costs of the wife compare with the Range Rover? No need to answer that, just being silly.

My first car - a 2.0GL Capri in Tibetan gold (metallic brown) reg KMG282W which was written off sadly. I nearly cried when it left.

D reg Mitsubishi Galant with the Diamond pack. Well ahead of its time. It was our family car, then my brother's then was my first car. 12 years old when finally moved on :-( Did treat some rust on the driver's door otherwise was very clean too.

It had speed sensitive infinitely adjustable wipers I have never found since. Far better than rain sensors. Cruise control. A real soaker for miles.

Last edited:
So why did you sell it..??
What are you driving now..?
It got quite old (1998 model) and had almost 200.000km so I decided that it was time to let go. It's been less than a year since I sold it and got a grande punto t jet.

Back