i love Halfords

Currently reading:
i love Halfords

By Irish consumer law at least, you wouldnt have a leg to stand on., you bought something "thinking" it would be the same as something else that isnt a universal part so wont be identical to the one you see, your only option is to sabotage it and say it was faulty.,lol

Last edited:
more importnantly there is nothing wrong with a K&N except the price so ignore the haters. everyone on fiatforum loves the GSR kits and what are they? a K&N replica on a silicone pipe.

you've wasted loads of money on a K&N when you could have bought exactly the same thing for £10 on ebay without the K&N badge on it, but its too late to cry about that now, so fit the damn K&N and enjoy it. but fit it correctly to avoid the issues why people do not like K&N's.

the problem with a K&N is the same problem any similar induction kit has, it will suck in hot air. buy yourself a bit of pipe like you would use on a GSR kit and sort the job out, its easy. make sure you measure up first so you know the length, angle and width you need for the pipe to make sur ethe K&N will sit in a position that will reduce the amount of hot air it suck in, but also prevents it getting wet, such as in one of the wings.

Your right jug. Only thing is the one for that engine isn't a cone its more like a bowl :p

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0455.pdf

As a result isn't really suitable for that idea. I had that exact same engine in my first car and the KandN really wasn't all that bad IMO as long as you get as much cold air to it as possible and do what I did and fabricate a heat shield.

those shape K&N's are easy to fit in your wing, the difficult part is the 90degree bend where your pipe fixes to the throttle body. my golden rule is no bend should be more than 60degrees but in this situation you have no choice.

maybe it would be best to just fit it as its supposed to be fitted and then do your best to ensure a cold air supply to the filter (i use 6" flexible ducting for such jobs)

more importnantly there is nothing wrong with a K&N except the price so ignore the haters. everyone on fiatforum loves the GSR kits and what are they? a K&N replica on a silicone pipe.

:nutter:

the gsr uses a filter with a much bigger surface area, the thing that is wrong with the K&N is where it sits on a fire engine, it takes power away, that is what is wrong with it

as i said relocating the is the way to solve the K&N problem.

surface area is important up to a point, but after that is makes no difference, it depends what your engine's needs are. why give it double the surface area it needs? it doesnt hurt but there is no benefit. if you make universal filters then you need to make them big to suit many different applications (hence only 2 sizes of CDA to suit all engines), but if you make specific filters you can make them only as big as they need to be to save money on materials and save engine bay space. K&N have the resources to determine the requriements of each engine. as if by magic K&N consider flow rates in all their designs, wow they're so clever :rolleyes:

Last edited:
i agree dave, and i would never recommend a K&N to anyone, but since he cant take it back i was trying to suggest an acceptable way of fitting it.

I got my K&N for free. It sounded good. It looked good. The car didn't go any faster. But it looked nice on the engine. Cool! :cool:

Anyway, you can easily make up a flexi-pipe to mount a K&N somewhere else. CinquePunto got some excellent results using a bob from another engine, a washing up bottle (I kid you not - very Blue Peter!) and some insulating tape. End result was a system that looked ok, relocated the filter and cost virtually nothing to construct other than the filter itself.

Use your ingenuity!

get a bonnet vent to get cold air., it might look sh*te but it'll work.,lol, and get that silver heat shield stuff and put it in front of the filter so that it blocks air comming from the front of the engine so the rad fan isnt blowing hot air at it., then it should only get cold air from the bonnet vent., im not really a fan of bonnet vents but they cool if they are real and not just stick on useless cr*p

Back