General how about a warm welcome for our newest 20 valver

Currently reading:
General how about a warm welcome for our newest 20 valver

looks like youve done well there mate, was considering a marea weekend 20v aswell, but te bravo is where its at :p

if you get the exhaust and compression sorted fairly cheaply then you have a good car on your hands. did he say whay the engine was changed at 40000? dont forget the cambelt aswell, ok so he said you have about 10k left, but sooner is better, even if you do have another engine available... thinking about it, if that one is in good nick with the cambelt sorted get that, will prob work out a whole lot cheaper, then fix up the old unit as and when and sell

anyway, best of luck to you mate

i took it for a little spin down the back lane, it sound like its running on 4 cyl as it seems to miss a beat but i'm no sure is that just because its pissing fumes into the engine bay... will have to see, what can i use to temp the gasket to see if it is?

My Coupe was still quite smooth running on 4 cylinders with no (i.e. 0, none at all) compression on one cylinder. You'd better hope it's not too serious!
H

hmallett said:
My Coupe was still quite smooth running on 4 cylinders with no (i.e. 0, none at all) compression on one cylinder. You'd better hope it's not too serious!
H

the fiat report says low compression not no compression, i will take it to local garage for compression test so i can get figures tomorrow

Looking from the front, 1 2 3 4 5. No1 is cam belt end.
The 5 pots make a strange noise compared to a 4 cylinder anyway.

Might be a good buy, definitely worth a go!

edit: Find out how low the compression was on no5. If it was a Fiat garage, they may have reported it even if it was just a little tiny bit lower than 1 to 4 - on an older car that's not necessarily too much to worry about.

edit2: Does it have an all alloy engine top, or a black plastic shroud over the top with 'vis' on it?

Last edited:
fixitagaintomorrow said:
Looking from the front, 1 2 3 4 5. No1 is cam belt end.
The 5 pots make a strange noise compared to a 4 cylinder anyway.

Might be a good buy, definitely worth a go!

edit: Find out how low the compression was on no5. If it was a Fiat garage, they may have reported it even if it was just a little tiny bit lower than 1 to 4 - on an older car that's not necessarily too much to worry about.

edit2: Does it have an all alloy engine top, or a black plastic shroud over the top with 'vis' on it?

dunno about the fiat report

err...alloy top, it sure aint plastic.

and as odd as it sounds i went and got a compression tester (didnt get as far as using it) i was having a tinker, i disconnected the injectors and was switching them and trying to start ot etc. once i put it all back i started it and its running fine now :confused: number 5 seems to be running, the idle has come up from 800ish to 1000ish... isntthat odd, the injector light was off on the dash before and is still off now but its running nicley.... just gotta fix that gasket (y)

Might have been a loose connection or bad wiring. The coil packs do give in ocasionally, too.

Not wanting to wee on your bonfire, but if it's the all alloy topped engine without 'vis' on it, you've got a 147 bhp one not a 155. Still a damn quick motor - there's not much between them, but hope it doesn't cause you an insurance problem.

Well done Ryan (y) nice estate the marea you just need a matress for the back now ;)

PNL said:
Well done Ryan (y) nice estate the marea you just need a matress for the back now ;)
Brings a whole new meaning to 'back seat action' :)

fixitagaintomorrow said:
Might have been a loose connection or bad wiring. The coil packs do give in ocasionally, too.

Not wanting to wee on your bonfire, but if it's the all alloy topped engine without 'vis' on it, you've got a 147 bhp one not a 155. Still a damn quick motor - there's not much between them, but hope it doesn't cause you an insurance problem.

yeah i know its a 147bhp but i figured there wouldnt be much difference, it really does shoot now

Has it got these stylee dials, if it's an S reg?

Attachments

• Moving swiftly on.jpg
    Moving swiftly on.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 31
fixitagaintomorrow said:
Has it got these stylee dials, if it's an S reg?

LOL pete thats very irresponsable using your phone while doing 135mph!

but yes it does have those dials, on the other marea i looked at the one with bent chassis it had these dials but in white? they looked mint

Back