General Hillclimbing and Sprinting the 100hp

Currently reading:
General Hillclimbing and Sprinting the 100hp

Have started to organise some events. First will be Wiscombe Park on 28 April followed by Gurston Down on 23 June. Couple more later in the year also. I'll post some pics and a bit of a write up - if we survive..

Have you entered a championship for this year? The midland speed SA class is for sub 1400cc on standard tyres.

Have you entered a championship for this year? The midland speed SA class is for sub 1400cc on standard tyres.

I've entered the ACSMC championship (also has a "standard" class), but don't expect to do enough rounds. Main reason for signing up was to get an entry at Gurston.

I see that you're on the list for HSA, real shame that I can't get to Combe in a couple of weeks time.

I eventually got out in the 100hp to compete a hillclimb at Loton park on the 8th April. I was a standard road car in a modified class so my times compared with the modified car were not that great, however I felt it did a very respectable job all the same.

Some photos in the link below

I hope to get a few more rounds done in 2012, hopefully in a standard production class this time.

I'm still amazed how good this car is consitering its only a 1400cc

Nice video, glad it was a good day out.

Unless there's other "standard" cars present you just have to ignore the times. It could get depressing. Loton could be done in 63 secs in a quick mini! I shall be aiming (not likely..) at the times in column "SA" of the following:

http://www.midlandspeed.org.uk/results/target-times

Wiscombe entry is confirmed for Saturday 28th. Then perhaps a couple more later in the year.

I was spectating - good to see a Panda on the hill - looked very planted in the changeable conditions.

We had to leave soon after the guy in the Triumph GT6 had his big off - was he ok?

We had to leave soon after the guy in the Triumph GT6 had his big off - was he ok?

Yes, he was ok. But a very scary incident. The car will be a right mess and not sure how they'll get it out of the trees. Shortly after an MX5 went off hard at the gate.. several badly damaged cars.

Today's meeting has been cancelled.

A good result, was it a standard or modified class that you were in?

Traction looks good considering the conditions.

I ran in road-going production, so there was some fairly well modified kit in there. One other "standard" car running on normal 1A tyres, and I managed to be ahead of him by a few seconds (think the Smart is in the HSA class).

Photos of the day here:

http://www.teltphotography.com/H-280412-A1.aspx

A very well prepped and driven AX GT won by a fair distance. Never realised that they were less than 800kg in standard trim - so could be made very light! And getting more than 100bhp is very easy. But I managed to keep ahead of the Swift and Corsa, which I thought was a reasonable result. I haven't been to the hill for a few years, and I think there's a couple of seconds still in there (changed up to third way too early at least once!). Everyone very friendly, so will definitely do some more.

Real shame about the accidents.. stumbled across these (free to use by anyone). Luckily it was only damage to the cars.

wiscombe-2012-85-gt6.jpg

wiscombe-2012-33.jpg

Good result well done. You can't compare against modified cars as the 1B tyres will easly cut out a few seconds from the overall time.

Bac out sprinting on May the 26th at MIRA in the 1A class. I'm up against a modded 106 S1 rally which should be intresting.

Bac out sprinting on May the 26th at MIRA in the 1A class. I'm up against a modded 106 S1 rally which should be intresting.

Good luck and hope you get a dry event (wishful thinking!). Series 1 Pug 106 Rallye is a great car and on my list, but no longer depreciating and therefore too expensive - for good reasons.

Last Saturday I took part in the MAC sprint at MIRA. This time the up to 1400cc and up to 2000cc classes were merged so it was going to be difficult to beat any of these guys. The only similar car there was a 106 rallye but on further inspection I realised it was throttle bodied etc so again pushing out more power and I believe that they only weigh 780KG!

Anyway practice and the event went well and I even played around with a bit of left foot braking, my final time was 63.18, 1 second off a RX8 and 2 seconds off the 106. I think if I could extract a bit more front end grip then I might be able to shave a few seconds off for next time. More tyre investigation required I think!. No photos or video this time as MIRA have a ban on this as there are lots of secret cars driving around.

Mira's very fast and with high grip mostly with 3rd and 4th gear corners with difficult braking zones.

I hope to do Harewood and curborough at some point.

Back