Technical Handbrake adjustment....plz help

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake adjustment....plz help

sr3309

My car handbrake has became s**t, you can push my car when the handbrake is on. Has been getting worse gradually. I took the car to get the brakes tested and the guy said that the rear brakes were fine but the handbrake wasn't (yes, thats why i brought it to you!!!!!!). Anyway i was reading about adjusting the cable and it shows that you turn the adjusting secrew handle thing, but my car doesn't have the handle just a screw that i cant get a grip of to turn. Is this normal? Is there anyway i can turn the screw to tighten in without the handle?

By handle I am unsure what you mean??

To adjust the cable you turn the small 'key' bar clockwise to tighten the cable and anti clock wise to loosen the cable. Using a decent set of pliers or a shifting spanner should give enough hold to turn the 'key'

Note that you don't need full access to the turning of the key as only a small few turns are usually ever needed to adjust the cable properly. If your cable needs a lot of adjustment I'd recommend a new cable coz it's obviously done.

Adjusting the cable does adjust the handbrake in holding the car. If the cable is so loose that when you pull the handbrake all the way up the cable is still loose then the brakes shoes aren't gonna be tight against the drum hence no holding power.

Adjust the cable to the desired tension and it should work!!

My handbrake was quite bad when pulled up (right up) car would sometimes roll a bit when I put the clutch down when on a hill.

Took it to a garage and they clipped and tightened it for me. Now it only needs a few clicks when pulled up and holds all the time.

Thanks for your help, i'm gonna try adjusting it today and see if it helps. If it doesn't help think i'll just need to take it to a garage and get them to sort it. I'll let u guys know how it goes.

There is a limit to how far you can adjust it - I mean they stretch a little and you can adjust it but eventually they can just snap, like I had happen to me in a uno. No harm in giving adjusting it a try before you try anything more drastic.

Back