Technical "Springy" hand brake

Currently reading:
Technical "Springy" hand brake

Jeags

Hi all,

First post so hope it's in the right place.
My partner pulled the hand brake on her MK2 a little too enthusiastically yesterday and now it seems to have lost tension when in the off position. When down, it rises up to the point the warning light comes on.
I took the housing off yesterday to see what's up and it looks like a retaining clip which holds the black cable going to the rear of the car through the hole has snapped and that's my issue. Any recommendations on how to fix this or does it require a whole new cable?
Hoping my description is good enough but if pics are needed I can take some today.

Cheers,
Joe

Hi all,

First post so hope it's in the right place.
My partner pulled the hand brake on her MK2 a little too enthusiastically yesterday and now it seems to have lost tension when in the off position. When down, it rises up to the point the warning light comes on.
I took the housing off yesterday to see what's up and it looks like a retaining clip which holds the black cable going to the rear of the car through the hole has snapped and that's my issue. Any recommendations on how to fix this or does it require a whole new cable?
Hoping my description is good enough but if pics are needed I can take some today.

Cheers,
Joe
Without seeing a photo of the damage , I would expect the cable has snapped and wants ideally both cables replaced, probably involving rear brake drums off to inspect shoes etc. Then replace any worn of damaged components.
It may be there is a single cable going to a yoke and then the two from there going to each brake drum.
The single cable doesn't commonly fail unless stressed by faults further back meaning extra strain is put on the weak part.

I agree with Mike

YOUR HANDBRAKE MAY NOT BE WORKING

See image below.
The handbrake works as it should, 5 clicks and you can't drive with it on. Holds well. It's just when it is off there is no tension holding it down. See image for the black clip snapped I mentioned. Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_120812955.jpg
    PXL_20240428_120812955.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
Ah it's all clear now , the left hand cable has pulled through the body work .
You probably need a new left hand cable, fingers xed the hole it passes through is not enlarged

Last edited:
I agree with @jackwhoo , the photo makes it clearer.
It is not common for those cables to pull through so I suspect there is something causing extra strain on the system which may be worth looking at.:)

Back