General Had my car broken into tonight!!!

Currently reading:
General Had my car broken into tonight!!!

Instead of messing with all the locks just have an alarm installed or just put the stickers to say your car is alarmed on the window, that may deter them.

Either that or wire up the lock to give a nasty electric shock from it, just make sure you're wearing marigolds whenever you open her yourself :p

sounds like a great idea, is this possible as i would do it? :D

lol I'm sure there's a way, just don't wire it to your car battery if you do! They'd drain it!
BTW it was only a joke suggestion but would be funny to see.

I have actually seen someone wire up cameras in the car so you can get whoever is doing it on camera and have it feeding to somewhere hidden so they can't nick the recording :p Again I wouldn't wire it to your car battery though

digging up abit of an old post, but guys, they keep coming back through the same hole! and the hole getting bigger and bigger :mad: what do the f***ers want! my car has nothing in it worth robbing!

whats the best way to secure it?

Biggest hairy mate laid in the boot with a big stick when you go to the gym or one of these...

:devil:

Cheap car alarms are not worth having - usually causing more trouble than they solve. Decent alarms cost £mega. The door lock idea is the lowest cost option.

People also ignore alarms. Ive seen cars driving along with the alarm screaming yet people hardly even look up. "Oh yeah another false alarm." I was too far a way to read the plate or I would have at least phoned the plod.

If you do fit an alarm put the siren under the dash high up and hard to get at. The noise will be so loud inside the cabin a scumbag wont even be able to get near the stereo before his ears bleed.

Cheap alarms are ok if you dont use them for the shock sensor but wire it to the door opening, specially if the cars parked outside your house. Wont stop them getting in but I'd rather know when someones broke into my car and give me a chance to catch them. Also reduces the chance of them taking things or even parts off you car too.

Last edited:
All this delocking will deter an opportunist thief, but a determined criminal is coming in regardless, be that by cutting the metal around the lock, bending the door or smashing a window, which is far worse. I consider my locks to be sacrificial protection only. I just keep a bag of lock barrels and know how to fit them at a cost of ~£14 a time. Unless the thieves want a fire extinguisher, there's nothing of value, and I leave the glovebox open to show them that. Even the locking wheelnut is carried around on my keys so there is at least a good chance that I have some rubber to roll home on.

Dead right - nothing will stop the pros. But when they have your car you WILL NEVER see it again so make sure its properly insured.

I still think the cheapest option is to de-lock the car and fit "armoured" plates to the door skins over the lock mechanism with neat covers over the lock holes.

This will deter the joyriders and they wont bend your panel trying to jemmy the lock. Smashed glass is covered on my insurance and the NCD isnt affected.

Is joyriding really an issue with the Puntos? I thought the Fiat CODE immobiliser was pretty tough. Only if the thief has a spare ECU to hand can they actually drive the car.

You'd need ecu + fusebox, much easier to nick your keys ( mk2 )

Confused as to the advice here, happened to my back in the day. PUNTOS ARE ****ING **** and i wish i never got one. Anyway, my lock was fine and my dad suggested putting solid washers on both sides to reinforce the area around the lock.

Confused by the de=armouering?

Confused as to the advice here, happened to my back in the day. PUNTOS ARE ****ING **** and i wish i never got one. Anyway, my lock was fine and my dad suggested putting solid washers on both sides to reinforce the area around the lock.

Confused by the de=armouering?

I take it you have a mk1 then, and whats so **** about it anyways then? Or is it just because you don't look after a car?

MK2.

Well the fact that the sides are easy to get in. No1 told me that when i bought it. alot of my mates have been in the same way. The car i had before was an old corsa and i had a great stereo on that, left in dodgy places and was never touched.

Apart from that, the ecu went and seems to go every few years and the battery is a pile of ****. I dont think anyone with a half a brain would try and steal the actual car. Mine probably wouldnt start. Its more detering / stopping people from breaking in.

MK2.

Well the fact that the sides are easy to get in. No1 told me that when i bought it. alot of my mates have been in the same way. The car i had before was an old corsa and i had a great stereo on that, left in dodgy places and was never touched.

Apart from that, the ecu went and seems to go every few years and the battery is a pile of ****. I dont think anyone with a half a brain would try and steal the actual car. Mine probably wouldnt start. Its more detering / stopping people from breaking in.

Most cars of that age are easy to get into not just fiat..... can get into a certain car with a 9v battery a torx screwdriver and a bit of wire without causing any damage or making any noise... (no im not saying which one but they are very common)

if the battery is a pile of **** why not replace it they only last about 4-5 years anyway on most cars if you have a lot of ICE perhaps an alternator upgrade and battery upsize is in order

you alternator working correctly and drive belt tensioned correctly?

MK2.

my mk2 has over 81,000 on it, nearly 8 years old and never missed a beat, never brokedown.

Anyway I can easily get into any car in 2 seconds wether its a fiat, vauxhall, audi, bmw or even a f*cking rolls royce.....its called a brick!

p.s. nobody touched your corsa for a reason.....streetcred;)

Fiats are no worse than any other make and lots better than many. If they were so bad, why would other makers use Fiats as the base for their smaller models.

e.g. Corsa and Ka and I strongly suspect Fiesta.

BTW, the VW TDI was a joint effort with Fiat and for all we know it probably still is.

I had a VW Sharan (I had kids and dogs back then). It was constantly breaking down and not especially well built. It did handle well and was economical with that Fiat inspired diesel engine.

Back