Technical Broken clutch slave push rod

Currently reading:
Technical Broken clutch slave push rod

jamwar

The clutch went on my wifes Punto Mk2b yesterday, have towed it home & found the slave cylinder pushrod has broken at the ball joint where it meets the release arm. The pushrod is plastic. Is it just old age that has caused the break or should I be looking for a problem that has made it break?! All working properly until it failed. Thanks

Hi , same problem here but before it snapped the clutch was heavy. Should I be able to manually depress clutch lever on box with slave cylinder removed?
57735A2D-422D-4F78-BA31-6F5C1628F34F.jpeg
00A3ED5C-BA38-4885-8AFD-2B702BA73E03.jpeg

Attachments

• 33C1A051-DCA0-415F-B493-607679ACCEE9.jpeg
    33C1A051-DCA0-415F-B493-607679ACCEE9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
I only got around to doing the job this morning, new cylinder fitted, bleed & all seems good. Fingers crossed it was just the plastic gone brittle with age!

Ok, so, on Friday, daughter went away for the weekend in the Punto. Sunday evening, got a call to say that the clutch pedal had 'sunk to the floor' when she went to change gear, and she couldn't get car to go. (she was parked outside friends house, and car had been working fine earlier in the day, with no problems.
As she was away, I wasn't able to get to her, but she has AA as part of her insurance, so called them out on the Monday morning. Guy came round, and reckoned the clutch slave cylinder has broken, at the actuator end. Showed the daughter, and it appears the plastic piston pushrod has snapped off where it goes into the body, and there was fluid everywhere round the area. Towed her to a local garage, and they apparently fitted a new slave cylinder for her, and bled the clutch, but.. the pedal was still 'soft' until about halfway down the travel, despite bleeding twice.
Clutch appeared to work OK, so they advised it was ok to drive home, (45 miles) then get it bled again. Daughter got home OK, but pedal is still very 'spongy' and doesn't 'feel' right.
Not sure whether the garage has done the job properly, but not happy to use car like it is. Assume that as clutch was working OK before she went, (I used the car the day before, and, it passed it's MOT 10 days ago, and no problems then, that it's just a problem with the slave cylinder. (poss fitted an incorrect one??)
Not happy with the garage, seeing as they charged her £150 inc VAT for doing the job!!
Looking to take it to my garage and asking their opinion....
The car is a 53 plate, and assume the old cylinder was original, and gone brittle with age, as mentioned on here, but... can't see why the garage couldn't get it bled correctly!!

This is a common problem in other models too. For example Albea, Linea, Doblo. Those plastic push rods break.
shtok-rabochego-czilindra-sczepleniya-fiat-albea.jpg

There are metal ones available commercially or you can fabricate it DIY. https://www.drive2.ru/l/531582537022046515/
...https://rally36.ru/podborki/slomalsya-shtok-rabochego-cilindra-scepleniya-fiat-albea-95-foto.html

As for air bleeding, the system is almost self-bleeding. As you drive, it should be better each day (it takes 2-3 days max.).
If you need to bleed it periodically = it's a malfunction, wear, fluid leak. Replace the slave cylinder/actuator.

Last edited:
Back