Technical GP 1.2 8v 2007 rough idle, low power issue

Currently reading:
Technical GP 1.2 8v 2007 rough idle, low power issue

Jfoxon

Hello everyone

I have searched high and low to try and solve the issue I am currently having with my 2007 Grande Punto, so Ill start from the top and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to get this sorted. Thank you in advance

So I have owned my Grande Punto for around 9 years from 18k miles and it is now at 89k miles, for the first 7 years it would fly through every mot and probably the best car I have owned, in the last 12 months though it has had new clutch and recon gear box, recently it has developed a few issues these are

Rough idle, sounds like a misfire but I have changed the sparks and ht leads doesnt stall though

low power on acceleration but then like bunny hops with sudden burst of power then back to low power I have cleaned the Air intake, changed air filter, cleaned the throttle body and tried a different throttle body and sensor

white fumes from the exhaust and spitting water out of the exhaust

coolant level was low but not too low so I have topped it up, oil level is fine

I have put a fault reader on it and it is showing no faults and no engine management light

I am starting to think it is head gasket on its way out, would this cause the first 2 problems? it did have a little bit of mayo like stuff under oil cap but my wife has been using the car and drives about 4 miles a day in it so put it down to that

Any advice would be great, I dont wanna scrap the car but its getting close to that

Come on, don't give up.
Total cost of getting another ("new") car will be way more than fixing current one.
New ride will also need attention (oils, filters, brakes, timing belt job, etc.).

It's a simple, primitive design engine (Fiat FIRE family), head gasket job will be fairly cheap (comparing to other brands). DIY is also highly possible, doable.

PS
Valve clearances never been adjusted, right?

White fumes, mayo @ oil cap, water loss, less power ... all signs of a head issue.

One DIY simple trick:

- go by your prefered scrapie and bring back the water vase cap
- drill a hole and install a tyre valve on the cap
- on warm engine (not running) fill compressed air by the valve (0,8 bar)
- check the pressure with the air-gun manometer
- if it's going down your circuit isn't sealed anymore ...

As it's not destructiver, you might even use your own water cap ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Back