y10gtie2_800.jpg

Panda (Classic) GerTie the GTie

Introduction

Thought it was about time I introduced Gertie the Posh not Wrecked Panda properly :)

Shonky 'bay photo's on which basis the purchase was made :eek:

y19front.JPG
y10rhs.JPG

y10int.JPG

Arriving VmanC's after he kindly arranged collection. :slayer:

John_s_Y10_0011.jpg

A little taster of whats to sort....

John_s_Y10_009.jpg
John_s_Y10_008.jpg
John_s_Y10_007.jpg
John_s_Y10_006.jpg
John_s_Y10_005.jpg
John_s_Y10_004.jpg
John_s_Y10_003.jpg
John_s_Y10_002.jpg

And the inspiration

y10gtie2_800.jpg

Vernon will be getting GerTie back on the road restoring him to his former glory :worship:

Keeping it simple and stylish, planning on a decent stereo (seeing as it is hidden in it's own little compartment) and a set of custom carpet mats (tastefully embroidered with the GTie legend) are the only mods planned at present. :)

Feel free to fill in a few more details Vernon (y)
Will be spending time dating all my cars tyres tomorrow, I really don't want to have another incident.
Can't remember ever having a puncture on a motorway before, then I have 2 in a row.
I was planning on replacing most of the steel wheels with refurbed alloys and new tyres just not got around to it yet!

Ermm I can't find codes on 2 tyres, are they always 4 digits?

Anyway ordered some same size replacement Dunlop tyres to replace the front and moving the sigar/sigmund? tigers? to the back.

Interestingly the scruffy black clx has two uniroyal rain tyres on the front, the selecta has Barum's on the front and all others look acceptable.

I'll be leaving the 4x4 on the off road tyres from now on too.

after year 2000 all tyre dots consist of 4 numbers, three numbers and small triangle were in the 90s ,and three numbers without small triangle in the 80s :)

Last edited:
Ending this short offtopic about tyre dots, look what I have found,a genuine DOT from the 80s:slayer::slayer: beauties made arround june 1987.guess where? on the front axle of my panda:idea::bang: Ok, I swapped them today for a pair of "almost" new semperits wearing proudly 3 digit dots with arrows;) 10 years younger, from 97! :D
DSC_05822.JPG

ttttttttttt.JPG

Well new front tyres are fitted, old one binned as cracking between treads evident, has cured the vibration on the steering wheel at speed.

Now Gerties thrown a bit of a strop, she has decided that starting without 2 minutes of keeping the key turned, really feels like fuel isn't getting through.

Once started if you stomp hard on the throttle whilst stationary she revs to 3.5 - 4 and goes no higher, but if you very slowly press the pedal she will eventually rev up to 5.

Driving she feels like the choke needs to be put on, no power and spluttery if not driven very gently through the gears - up to 4,000 rpm only though.

Hills or brute force accelleration will kill the power completely and actually stalled her once on the M62.

I was picking up wheels in Tibshelf 30mins from Dragon man John so I popped over for an opinion, apart from a split air hose which was fixed TPS checked, nothing seems to be amiss leaving us baffled.

No warning lights are present on the dash and unplugging the ECU didn't make a difference either.

I did learn today that she has a mass air sensor wotsit and multipoint fuel injection, oh and that dawdling along in a GT car sucks :(

Any help appreciated!

yes indeed it is a very strange system.

it has a Magneti Marelli ECU looking thing with built in MAP sensor that controls spark from a crank position sensor and manifold absolute pressure sensor for timing adjust, but still has a distributor and single coil.. rather than the more simple twin coil system the later fiats had.. (no offence but give me panda 4x4 distributor system any day.)

but then it also has a Bosch ECU combined mass airflow sensor (Which works by how much air blows open a spring loaded flap :eek: talk about low tech!) which i guess does all of the fuel injecting side of things.

i did the usual look over for split hoses and pipes looking for vacuum leaks. there was a nice split in between the mass air flow "Bosch ECU" bit and the strange manifold.. thing that comes over the top of the engine. so i patched that up with some tiger seal.

i did not want to take off the strange manifold thing.. so i was unable to check for any air leaks between manifold and engine block. though i could not hear any leaks.

also found out that the "electrical fault" lights to do with the headlamps were caused because the side light bulb and bulb holders are missing!

sadly i was not able to see the full potential of the engine, but the thing drove awesome when it came to cornering. it was just like driving my old cinquecento.. but somehow it was a panda at the same time.

kinda a shame they have the lanica badge.. that thing makes insurance go so high

Last edited:
What I can't understand is why it's run perfectly for 500 miles then gone to poo.

Would the crank sensor going faulty cause these symptoms?

Thanks for your input guys (y)

It would give the hesitation to start symptoms.

Any chance you can give the full engine spec/ code ?

Get it checked with timing light first.

It would give the hesitation to start symptoms.

Any chance you can give the full engine spec/ code ?

Get it checked with timing light first.

If I had a timing light I wouldn't know what to do with it!

motor 156b.000
version 156ab53a
spares 5259465

other numbers

02113t

zaa156000*05052144

Oh and if anyone has a workshop manual I could borrow/scan I think it might prove useful!

Last edited:
Back