Technical Gear problem 5th and reverse

Currently reading:
Technical Gear problem 5th and reverse

Firewarrior

Stilo Possee
Hi all just encountered a problem with the cinq.
Was reversing, and went to put the car back into reverse and i had no reverse gear, tried 5th aswel and it seemed non existant (doesnt even pop in or pop out)
Paniced for a bit and thought ohh well, then i could get 5th and reverse?!
it seems an intermitant problem, sometimes there feels like no reverse or 5th at all then there is. Ive notcied when i cant get it into reverse if i lift up on the clutch pedal slightly it will pop in.
I have also noticed a noise coming from the passengers side (like a rubbing or mild grinding noise) which disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed.
Any ideas guys and girls?
cheers
sam

Last edited:
iv been messing about recently fitting a aftermarket gear knob, and the cable for reverse when pulled allows you to select reverse but not 5th, and when not pulled allows you to select 5th but not reverse so maybe theres a problem with that somewhere

can you select all other gears ok and is clutch adjusted properly?

Firewarrior said:
all other gears are fine buddy

I got the answer -

Right. if you look ( facing the car ) on the right hand side of the engine, on top of the gear box you will see a lever with acable attached with a ball joint onto the lever. The ball joint will have a retaining nut on it. This cable adjust the side to side movement from the gear lever to the gear box. it seems on yours the gear lever (inside) isn't moving the gear selector over enough to select 5th and reverse.

Pop the ball joint off the lever (grab a pliers and twist it off toward you)

Undo the retaining nut, screw it about 3-4mm further down the thread (away from the end) then screw the ball joint in too.

Tighten it all up - pop the ball joint on the level and try getting 5th and reverse again.

It's only takes a slight movement to make all the difference so try a couple of turns at a time until it's right.

Hope this helps -

Attachments

• here.JPG
    here.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 38
Any other ideas? spoke to L&m motoring who said a synchro could of blown in the box

it sounds to me like a problem with the reverse inhibator cable. Stuck / jammed. When you push down the stick, it lets you into reverse and blocks 5th. With the stick in the normal posistion it lets you into 5th, but blocks reverse. To me, it does sound like a cable fault.

Syncro knackered i wouldnt think is likely. They normally go on the lower forwawrds gears.

cheers for that, dont suppose you have a part number for it?
i rang fiat and they have no idea what im on about despite explaining it to them quite well

I've just looked on eper. Attached is the screen dump from eper. I think its part number 3. Which is an entire assembly and costs £38. seems odd that the cable can't be had seperately.

There may not be a problem with the cable, just where it connects in. But i'd be looking at the reverse inhibiator mech before suspecting blown synchro

I've also attached a couple of photos of where the reverse inhibator attaches to the gearbag.

It could still just as easily be what Slippy has suggested, have you tried that yet?

Attachments

• rev_eper.jpg
    rev_eper.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 35
  • rev_close.jpg
    rev_close.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 40
  • rev_further_back.jpg
    rev_further_back.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 86
thanks for that mate, just rang up motorvogue (urgh) and its £54, think im going to do the clutch cable aswel (as i dont know when this was done) and done really want to run the risk of it breaking on me.
Is it a fairly simple process to fit the gear inhibiator cable if it is broken/damaged?

it is easy to remove it from the box. its just the bolt next to it, and then it pulls out.

but don't go buying parts yet. It could just be a loose fitting, or the cable adjustment as Slippy has said!

good point, cheers for saving me from my spending madness!
ill take a lookise at it tonight when i get home
cheers for all the help

Back