Flat batteries again getting boring

Currently reading:
Flat batteries again getting boring

Hi All
There is a lot of posts on here over the last few months about flat batteries and cars and vans not starting because of lack of use....WHY?
Its never been against the law to drive!
Why don't people just drive there vehicle on trip of a minimum of four miles and get the engine to operating temperature once or twice a week and the problem goes away
If there are two cars alternate the trips you do between the two!
Cars just sitting there week after week does them no good especially at this time of the year, what with condensation build up and then damp issues ..Just drive the thing it really is as simple as that
Rant over
Luigi

Its never been against the law to drive!

Err actually it is!

You must stay at home except for essential journeys, thankfully it seems those getting flat battery’s are adhering to this (y)

You’d be far better off just disconnecting the battery or leaving a solar maintainer connected to maintain the battery rather than undertaking needless journeys and placing yourself and others at risk (breakdowns, accidents etc, all of which will result in otherwise avoidable contact with someone).

So yo never go shopping?
You don't have to go to work?
It is essential to have a working vehicle in my book
The government have never said abandon your cars and walk everywhere

Shopping - can walk or get delivery
Work from home like many

Clearly people have been managing this without using the car, hence why they’re sitting unused.

You don’t have to drive it to keep it working (y)

The government have been very clear, it’s people doing needless journeys like this which causes half of the issues.

In places the Police have been checking the purpose of peoples journeys and issuing fines when none compliant. Your jolly twice a week to top the battery up would likely, and rightly, be classed as none compliant (y)

And as for contact....
Your less likely to in your car!
There have been more cases of injury to to unfit people doing so called exercise running ect more so now than ever
I'm safer in my van than in morrisons!
Luigi

Work from home like many

Clearly people have been managing this without using the car, hence why they’re sitting unused.

The government have been very clear, it’s people doing needless journeys like this which causes half of the issues.

In places the Police have been checking the purpose of peoples journeys and issuing fines when none compliant. Your jolly twice a week to top the battery up would likely, and rightly, be classed as none compliant (y)
I have been stopped, just say going shopping which is 8 miles from home, cant get delivery dates round here unless you want to wait three weeks

I have been stopped, just say going shopping which is 8 miles from home, cant get delivery dates round here unless you want to wait three weeks

So just use the car when you go shopping then, why go on needless journeys?

If you don’t need the car for shopping then just disconnect the battery or connect a maintainer as mentioned above if worried about the battery.

So just use the car when you go shopping then, why go on needless journeys?

If you don’t need the car for shopping then just disconnect the battery or connect a maintainer as mentioned above if worried about the battery.
What about condensation and then damp?
Rusting brake discs?
We have a Corsa c and i left it for three weeks and when i releast the handbrake the shoes were stuck to the drums and had to drop the clutch to relies it now i just leave it in gear with the handbrake off
Cars need to be driven not just started up and left to run on idle on the drive or whatever

Work from home like many

Most people don't live close enough to walk with shopping unless only getting a couple of bits

And very few people are working from home 95% are either on furlough or still working

What about condensation and then damp?
Rusting brake discs?

So you're now changing the reason.

Condensation and damp shouldn't be an issue with a car, if they are then you need to get the cause looked at.

Brakes shouldn't be too much of an issue. Don't leave it parked with the handbrake on and you'll be fine.

Lots of vehicles, be them weekend cars or toys, or campervans etc, sit for extended periods of time without issue.

Simply don't buy this cars need to be driven. Agreed vehicles shouldn't just be started and left to idle. They should either be used or left. A month or two at a time shouldn't be an issue, especially with very limited prep, such as disconnecting the battery or hooking up a batter maintainer, and leaving the handbrake off like you say.

Most people don't live close enough to walk with shopping unless only getting a couple of bits

Many in urban areas do, but are just too lazy - managed it without issue 30-40 years ago before everyone had a car and dotcom existed.

And very few people are working from home 95% are either on furlough or still working

Care to citate that rather than just make figures up to suit yourself.

A large number of office based workers are home working currently, in line with government requirements. Especially for large corporate clients.

I've tried to citate figures but can't, however I suspect this is a lot more than a mere 5%, based on the shear number of office based jobs out there, and knowing how many of the companies I deal with on a daily basis as part of my line of work where everyone is currently WFH.

So you're now changing the reason.

Condensation and damp shouldn't be an issue with a car, if they are then you need to get the cause looked at.

Brakes shouldn't be too much of an issue. Don't leave it parked with the handbrake on and you'll be fine.

Lots of vehicles, be them weekend cars or toys, or campervans etc, sit for extended periods of time without issue.

Simply don't buy this cars need to be driven. Agreed vehicles shouldn't just be started and left to idle. They should either be used or left. A month or two at a time shouldn't be an issue, especially with very limited prep, such as disconnecting the battery or hooking up a batter maintainer, and leaving the handbrake off like you say.

Many in urban areas do, but are just too lazy - managed it without issue 30-40 years ago before everyone had a car and dotcom existed.

Care to citate that rather than just make figures up to suit yourself.

A large number of office based workers are home working currently, in line with government requirements. Especially for large corporate clients.

I've tried to citate figures but can't, however I suspect this is a lot more than a mere 5%, based on the shear number of office based jobs out there, and knowing how many of the companies I deal with on a daily basis as part of my line of work where everyone is currently WFH.
jesus you are really up one today

Back to flat batteries..

Ive had vehicles that I have just run periodically..
My old JTD estate just never got used.. solar panel in front window.. sat on dash worked fine.. the x1/9 got a battery isolator.. they were both less than £20

My old camper stayed 'on the road' all year round.. when heavy kit is parked too long.. you have perished tyre MOT fails every 3 years.. :eek:

My old mum has a 2002 merc A.class :(

Battery is always going flat through lack of use.. but with the battery hidden under the floor.. an isolator would be deeply inconvenient.

Driving is good.. IF you can.. but there are other options to keep things in a servicable state

My ancient mj has been parked up since Feb 20.. and it still starts and runs every couple of months..

Blue and Me appears to feature heavily with current flat battery issues..

Something to keep an eye on

Last edited:
I’m a bit confused by this thread.

If the battery is a problem either disconnect it or put it on a battery maintainer.

Unfortunately with the fairly crappy weather we’ve been having it can get damp that’s just the nature of the climate we live in. If it’s that big an issue other put it in a heater garage, seal it in a hermetic bubble or put up with it like we all generally have to.

Brakes always rust over generally very quickly in a matter of hours sometimes but they will soon clean off once you get driving it.

As MEP pointed out if it’s that much of an issue take the car to the shops, GP, hospital appointments, do what you can to keep things in good shape for when life returns to normal.

It’s only been a month since the start of the current lock down it’s now like a car will completely fall apart after a month, they stand for much longer than that in car dealerships, back in circa 2004 when I worked in car dealerships we had one car that stayed on the forecourt for over a year

Back