Technical Fixing blower fan not working - Jet Black 2

Currently reading:
Technical Fixing blower fan not working - Jet Black 2

Hi,
the blower fan in my Jet Black 2 stopped working and I didn't find any threads here related to this problem. I'm hoping to diagnose further the problem and fix it with your help.
So far, I got access to the heating resistor which shows that the cabling has been damaged.
HeaterResistorCabling_2014JetBlack2_Punto.jpeg

Question 1: So the first question is where can I get replacement connectors so that I can rewire them?

I presume that this was caused by the thermal resistor and so I removed it from the blower housing. The connectors are also charred so I figure it probably caused the fault. So I will look for a replacement. For those that want to see the part, it looks like this: Video of replacing the thermal resistor (French). It is in French but you can see all the steps to take it out.

What I would like to know is whether I should remove the blower motor for any reason? Why did this happen to the connectors? I would have thought that a fuse should have blown before this occurred.

Thanks for your help,
Conrad

Update - I was also able to find these helpful discussions and instructions on the site:
1. Something to try before removing everything: Heater blower stopped working.
2. If you also want to clean the blower motor while working: leaf and debris removal

Last edited:
Hi Conrad

The Grande and Corsa had these fail commonly.. on the 1,2,3 +4 fan controls

My 2012 has climate..I think your might also be 'push button', rather than twisty knobs

Masses of info from the Grande days

Info here should help :)

Thanks for the links @varesecrazy , always helpful in understanding and troubleshooting the car.
Yes mine is the 'more expensive' one... I recently changed a heating resistor on an older Fiat. Just to keep the thread informative, this part seems to be called a 'regulator' and it looks like this when removed.
Regulator_Top_2014JetBlack2_Punto.jpeg
Regulator_Botton_2014JetBlack2_Punto.jpeg

Hi,
the blower fan in my Jet Black 2 stopped working and I didn't find any threads here related to this problem. I'm hoping to diagnose further the problem and fix it with your help.
So far, I got access to the heating resistor which shows that the cabling has been damaged.
View attachment 420921
Question 1: So the first question is where can I get replacement connectors so that I can rewire them?

I presume that this was caused by the thermal resistor and so I removed it from the blower housing. The connectors are also charred so I figure it probably caused the fault. So I will look for a replacement. For those that want to see the part, it looks like this: Video of replacing the thermal resistor (French). It is in French but you can see all the steps to take it out.

What I would like to know is whether I should remove the blower motor for any reason? Why did this happen to the connectors? I would have thought that a fuse should have blown before this occurred.

Thanks for your help,
Conrad

Update - I was also able to find these helpful discussions and instructions on the site:
1. Something to try before removing everything: Heater blower stopped working.
2. If you also want to clean the blower motor while working: leaf and debris removal
You have a couple of options, 1 phone your local fiat dealer and see if they do a repair loom for this problem.
Electrical problems in this area are so common that manufacturers make repair looms rather than having to change a whole dash board.

You could call around some breakers and see if someone will sell you a piece of loom that has the plugs and a length of wiring on it to affect a repair.
You could uses some crimp connectors to make a new connection.

I have posted recently about this every problem for someone else. its usually caused by chronic failure to maintain the cabin filter, the filter gets clogged and the fan struggles to move air, this leads to a lot more current being drawn by the fan leading to the wiring which is rated for normal operation not being able to cope with the current required to keep the fan moving against a blocked filter. Fuses are designed to blow when the current draw goes way over and above the blow limit. But if you have a fuse designed to blow at say 20 amps and your fan would normally only use 10amps but because of a blocked filter its now drawing 19amps this is a big increase in the current and causes a lot of heat but won't blow the fuse. Over many months sometimes years the constant heating up when the car is used eventually melts the plug. This is not something that happens in a one off incident.

So remove the fan make sure there is nothing inside the housing and also check the bearings and that it spins freely.
Take the cabin filter out and replace it with a brand new clean one and continue to do this every year.

The device you post above is pretty simple, it has a high current input and an output to the fan then a digital line (the smaller plug) that a signal is sent on to switch the power on and off rapidly to regulate the speed of the fan by pulsing the power on and off. This also means that the current draw might not blow the fuse but will heat up the wiring.

Thanks @AndyRKett ,
I came across your post and then thought that it may have been caused by putting the filter in the wrong way! We changed the filter last year and I think that when it said to put it in the 'airflow direction', I was assuming that the arrow should point forward toward the engine. However, I recently picked up the Hayne's manual, and it said that it should point towards the rear. So I can imagine that this would also 'block' airflow even with a new filter.

When my son comes back next week I will replace the parts. Got a loom from eBay and an aftermarket part. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

Just for a final update and question.
Fixed the wiring with the clip kit that I found on eBay and the aftermarket regulator (also from eBay seller). All together was just under 50 GBP. So the blower now works again. I also realised that the air filter was not changed for quite some time (it was black with stuff stuck to it). I'm sure this helped in creating the issue.

What I would like to know however, is where the air is coming in from? I was surprised to find a few dry leaves in the blower motor and at the filter. Is it through the air intake on the engine? If not, then I'd like to find the intake and clean that as well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back