Technical fiat panda 2012 mk4.how to remove rear washer jet that has been pushed into the high level break light assembly.

Currently reading:
Technical fiat panda 2012 mk4.how to remove rear washer jet that has been pushed into the high level break light assembly.

doug20021

Hi, Are there any Fiat mechanics on this site who can give me some information on how to access the rear washer jet that some little darling has pushed into the high level break light assembly which i might have to remove to get at the washer jet.The washer still works but sprays into the tail gate door.Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Fiat Panda..2012 new shape (mk4) i think.

The high level brake light can be removed... with the tailgate open, unclip the black plastic panel that provides access to this (the bit with the big 'Panda' logo moulded into it. It is help in place by three spring clips (you can see in the image below). The fixings for the brake light can then be accessed via that opening. Theseare also spring clips that need to be compressed to remove the light. You can see these fixings in the second photo
1644603376025.png

1644604057786.png

Last edited:
The high level brake light can be removed... with the tailgate open, unclip the black plastic panel that provides access to this (the bit with the big 'Panda' logo moulded into it. It is help in place by three spring clips (you can see in the image below). The fixings for the brake light can then be accessed via that opening. Theseare also spring clips that need to be compressed to remove the light. You can see these fixings in the second photo
View attachment 401688

View attachment 401689

Hi, Many thanks for your reply and help.
I have removed the black plastic Panda cover and behind are 4 holes that show 4 clips which i have tried to compress thinking the brake light would pop out but it doesn't,when compressing the 4 clips i have tried to lever them up with a screwdriver but they don't seem to want to move,bit worried about putting to much pressure on them in case i cause more damage,this is really annoying.

Hi again, The brake light on car is the same as your diagram with the 4 clips. I could not expand the diagram to have a closer look as there seems to be other pieces that look like they slot in somewhere, but very helpful information which is appreciated.
doug.

But can't you push the washer jet back out now?

gr J
Hi, the jet has been pushed into the high level brake light assembly which has to be removed to get access to the jet..i have received a photo which shows the light assembly which is a great help,it should be just a case of compressing the clips and it should come out..have tried that but will try it again now i have a better idea of the light assembly..thanks for your reply.
doug

My body shop did remoe my brake light recently. He said squeaze each clip carefully and SLOWLY tease it out a bit at a time moving clip to clip. Most body shops said it would break on removal. If the worst happens Shop4parts do a new genuine Fiat light for c£35. A lot less than Fiat. You may need plastic tools to get it out without damaging the paint work, I bought a kit for taking phones apart for about £3 from eBay that would be ideal.

View attachment 401688

View attachment 401689
View attachment 401688

View attachment 401689

My body shop did remoe my brake light recently. He said squeaze each clip carefully and SLOWLY tease it out a bit at a time moving clip to clip. Most body shops said it would break on removal. If the worst happens Shop4parts do a new genuine Fiat light for c£35. A lot less than Fiat. You may need plastic tools to get it out without damaging the paint work, I bought a kit for taking phones apart for about £3 from eBay that would be ideal.
Hi, Many thanks for your reply.I have tried several times to remove light as per your instructions but it just wont lift up.I have now done what i tried to avoid doing and chipped a piece out of the lens..gggrrrr trying to lever it up from outside of the car..
What are the plastic tools you refer to ?, I thought it was just a case of squeezing the clips and it would pop out,there seems to be something else stopping it from moving but cant see any screws or the likes to stop it from moving.I have run a plastic knife around the light just in case there is a gasket but it still wont budge,I cant believe i cant remove a silly little light.

@doug20021 See if this helps: see the photos too… (I know you’ve done some of this, but whole process shown to help future readers.)

Using plastic trim removal/pry tools (available at Halfords etc), prise away the black cover inside the open tailgate. It's held by three strong clips. This comes away to reveal four very small holes, though which the retaining clips to the lamp can be seen. There is not a hole to access the washer jet.

The brake light is held by four white clips, the sides of which squeeeze together to release the ‘barbs’ that hold them in place, and then pass through holes in the car. Use long nose pliers to squeeze them as close as possible to the 'barb' while at the same time pushing them ‘into’ the tailgate - they'll only move in a fraction of a mm. Start at one end and do each in turn.

From the outside, also start at one end (suggest the washer jet end), and ease the light away from car using a plastic pry tool. Note there is a layer of adhesive on the sponge gasket but this will tease away as you steadily work the tool along - this is best done when warm.

You may be able to push the washer jet back out with just this end of the light partly out of the car? It can be seen in one of the photos.

To refit the light, strike it hard with the side of a clenched fist starting at the left end and working across. This compresses the gasket and lets the clips spring back out. Don’t hit the washer jet!!

To replace black trim, this also needs a sharp thump with side of clenched fist to locate the spring clips fully.

The last photo shows the tools needed. The pry tools are made of nylon. This means they are strong, but not hard so less likely to break the parts being removed and also they flex when being used as a lever which helps moderate the force.

Attachments

• 26102193-4CDC-43A1-B71B-0FF821B14AA8.jpeg
    26102193-4CDC-43A1-B71B-0FF821B14AA8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • 954EFCD5-5CF5-4D41-A83E-81C22C4C1A3B.jpeg
    954EFCD5-5CF5-4D41-A83E-81C22C4C1A3B.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 65
  • F6A2A476-8072-44C2-95F9-C7F9F1643000.jpeg
    F6A2A476-8072-44C2-95F9-C7F9F1643000.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 1A4FC3EA-6B6F-4DBE-A729-76DFE134352D.jpeg
    1A4FC3EA-6B6F-4DBE-A729-76DFE134352D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 61204EA8-19B7-4C96-86C7-F2C0F48D5E5E.jpeg
    61204EA8-19B7-4C96-86C7-F2C0F48D5E5E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • B5C7EA09-09AA-4E0B-A910-9BEC26D21965.jpeg
    B5C7EA09-09AA-4E0B-A910-9BEC26D21965.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 6D356091-FC38-4FA2-9384-26B379D7F64D.jpeg
    6D356091-FC38-4FA2-9384-26B379D7F64D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
  • AE9A9786-B71A-4EB1-84F1-4F529183B027.jpeg
    AE9A9786-B71A-4EB1-84F1-4F529183B027.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
@doug20021 See if this helps: see the photos too… (I know you’ve done some of this, but whole process shown to help future readers.)

Using plastic trim removal/pry tools (available at Halfords etc), prise away the black cover inside the open tailgate. It's held by three strong clips. This comes away to reveal four very small holes, though which the retaining clips to the lamp can be seen. There is not a hole to access the washer jet.

The brake light is held by four white clips, the sides of which squeeeze together to release the ‘barbs’ that hold them in place, and then pass through holes in the car. Use long nose pliers to squeeze them as close as possible to the 'barb' while at the same time pushing them ‘into’ the tailgate - they'll only move in a fraction of a mm. Start at one end and do each in turn.

From the outside, also start at one end (suggest the washer jet end), and ease the light away from car using a plastic pry tool. Note there is a layer of adhesive on the sponge gasket but this will tease away as you steadily work the tool along - this is best done when warm.

You may be able to push the washer jet back out with just this end of the light partly out of the car? It can be seen in one of the photos.

To refit the light, strike it hard with the side of a clenched fist starting at the left end and working across. This compresses the gasket and lets the clips spring back out. Don’t hit the washer jet!!

To replace black trim, this also needs a sharp thump with side of clenched fist to locate the spring clips fully.

The last photo shows the tools needed. The pry tools are made of nylon. This means they are strong, but not hard so less likely to break the parts being removed and also they flex when being used as a lever which helps moderate the force.
Hi, Again many thanks for your help and advice..When squeezing the clips they do move up a couple of mm..I though i might be able to then prize the clips up and out of tailgate,but stupidly used a flat blade screw driver and broke a small piece of the assembly on the corner..I went round the edge of the light with a plastic knife just in case it had sealer around the assembly..it was really windy and cold and started to rain so will have another go tomorrow.
I appreciate your advice very much.
Doug.

Hi, Again many thanks for your help and advice..When squeezing the clips they do move up a couple of mm..I though i might be able to then prize the clips up and out of tailgate,but stupidly used a flat blade screw driver and broke a small piece of the assembly on the corner..I went round the edge of the light with a plastic knife just in case it had sealer around the assembly..it was really windy and cold and started to rain so will have another go tomorrow.
I appreciate your advice very much.
Doug.
This weather try pouring some warm water over the outside to soften things (gasket) not so hot that stuff is destroyed!

There is a gasket thats part of the light fitting. spft foamy thing. Take care not to rip it. Plastic tools to work from the outside to gently lever the light out as you squeeze each clip. Squeeze / lever / wedge the and move to next clip and then the finel clip. A couple of mm at a time. A little at a time. It may well take half an hour of fiddling and its easier with two people one inside and one outside. plastic pry tools help reduce the poss of paint damage.

There is a gasket thats part of the light fitting. spft foamy thing. Take care not to rip it. Plastic tools to work from the outside to gently lever the light out as you squeeze each clip. Squeeze / lever / wedge the and move to next clip and then the finel clip. A couple of mm at a time. A little at a time. It may well take half an hour of fiddling and its easier with two people one inside and one outside. plastic pry tools help reduce the poss of paint damage.
Seems to tally quite well with the earlier post…
https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/f...evel-break-light-assembly.492242/post-4628072
I didn’t take it fully out but got a good way there in just a couple of minutes…

Seems to tally quite well with the earlier post…
https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/f...evel-break-light-assembly.492242/post-4628072
I didn’t take it fully out but got a good way there in just a couple of minutes…
Gentlemen..Thanks very much for your assistance it was greatly appreciated..I have now removed assembly but have had to cut through the gasket seal which was stopping the assembly from popping out..having cut through the gasket the light assembly came out easy and was able to get at the washer jet which clips into the assembly.
Thank you guys, I hope our chats will be of use to anyone who has this problem.

Engaging in a bit of thread necromancy here, but I am seriously eager to meet the genius behind the idea of the one-piece center light-washer combo without a service hole. I would love to have a discussion with him about user interface design, preferably in a dimly lit alley, alone (...and if you are an mkIII Panda owner, consider yourself invited).

Yesterday, I spent two hours trying to figure out how to resolve the above mention issue, in 10 Celsius degrees outside. My goal was to do this without damaging the foam tape sealing around the light assembly. Ultimately, I resorted to fishing around for the jet tube using a wire and my cheap endoscope.

For those curious about how this goddamn thing looks like from the inside, here are some images. Ignore the "warts" on the nozzle's tip; those are battle scars from my initial attempts to drag this thing out with my wife's thinnest crochet hook. Will sand them off once I get this effing thing out.

View media item 140623
View media item 140624
View media item 140625
View media item 140626
View media item 140627
I managed to manipulate the tube back to its original position (which is right behind the right-most hole where the black plastic panel with the "Panda" logo clips into ) using a large paperclip I bent to shape. Then I used a thin plier (and the camera) to aim the thing at the hole.

View media item 140629
Short video of my failed attempt to liberate this thing:

View media item 140628
Unfortunately, there was no happy ending; I could not succeed in forcing the stoppers through the small walls on the side - or rotate the tube properly. With the temperature dropping rapidly outside, I decided to call it a retreat. If I succeed in extracting the nozzle, I will update my post.

P.S. I am still baffled by how someone could push in the jet given the two stoppers on the side of the nozzle. Whoever designed this, and whoever pushed this in, deserve some sort of a reward.

Last edited:
Engaging in a bit of thread necromancy here, but I am seriously eager to meet the genius behind the idea of the one-piece center light-washer combo without a service hole. I would love to have a discussion with him about user interface design, preferably in a dimly lit alley, alone (...and if you are an mkIII Panda owner, consider yourself invited).

Yesterday, I spent two hours trying to figure out how to resolve the above mention issue, in 10 Celsius degrees outside. My goal was to do this without damaging the foam tape sealing around the light assembly. Ultimately, I resorted to fishing around for the jet tube using a wire and my cheap endoscope.

For those curious about how this goddamn thing looks like from the inside, here are some images. Ignore the "warts" on the nozzle's tip; those are battle scars from my initial attempts to drag this thing out with my wife's thinnest crochet hook. Will sand them off once I get this effing thing out.

View media item 140623
View media item 140624
View media item 140625
View media item 140626
View media item 140627
I managed to manipulate the tube back to its original position (which is right behind the right-most hole where the black plastic panel with the "Panda" logo clips into ) using a large paperclip I bent to shape. Then I used a thin plier (and the camera) to aim the thing at the hole.

View media item 140629
Short video of my failed attempt to liberate this thing:

View media item 140628
Unfortunately, there was no happy ending; I could not succeed in forcing the stoppers through the small walls on the side - or rotate the tube properly. With the temperature dropping rapidly outside, I decided to call it a retreat. If I succeed in extracting the nozzle, I will update my post.

P.S. I am still baffled by how someone could push in the jet given the two stoppers on the side of the nozzle. Whoever designed this, and whoever pushed this in, deserve some sort of a reward.
Excellent/valiant attempt and great to have the endoscopy results - were they "real-time" or did you have to review after the event?

From what I can see there is a location notch at 6 o'clock (see still from your video) that is presumably intended to ensure the jet outlet points downwards?! This needs to be aligned to allow the clips at 3 and 9 o'clock to engage. Clearly these clips are quite stiff since you can see the whole brake light moulding flexing towards you outside the car, with your third hand you could perhaps press the moulding inwards towards the boot lid while pulling on the jet itself (I assume that's your MO?).

In situations like this (especially with reducing ambient temperatures) I would suggest applying some heat to the brake light assembly. Normally for plastic parts I would use near boiling water but clearly you don't want to flood the boot lid internally so I would suggest a domestic hair dryer (not a hot air gun/paint stripper as this has the potential to cause way more damage). So with things on the main light moulding nicely warmed (give it 10 minutes or so) then, as you were; try to engage the jet while pushing inwards on the surrounding moulding and orientating the notch; easy really (says the guy who has never taken this on)!

And in answer to your question "..who puts this together?" I suspect it is preassembled and then bonded in place by the foam gasket around the 3rd brake light? Good luck and apologies if I am sating the obvious!
1699900442596.png

Excellent/valiant attempt and great to have the endoscopy results - were they "real-time" or did you have to review after the event?

I was watching the feed real time. I am using a cheap Chinese wi-fi endoscope that can connect to Android smartphones/tablets (I think this one). The quality of the video is better, but I had to compress the video to potato-quality because of the Fiat Forum's limitations.

Unfortunately, the rotation angle clockwise or counterclockwise was very limited to a few degrees due to the size of the pliers I was using - which were quite small already. I was using this kind, the entire thing is about 10cm long:

1699901891148.png

I have two backup plans:

1) I will try to get even thinner pliers or strong tweezers and try again

2) I will apply petroleum jelly to the hole (no pun intended). Sand off the thick end of a chopstick, apply superglue to it, then stick it to the top of the nozzle (which is flat and can be accessed once it is in position). Afterward, I can rotate the nozzle head into position and use the pliers, as before, to push the entire thing while gently pulling the chopstick outwards. If this works, I have superglue dissolver to remove the chopstick and any residue from the top of the nozzle. If necessary, I will sand off and repaint the nozzle head.

In situations like this (especially with reducing ambient temperatures) I would suggest applying some heat to the brake light assembly.
Thank you for the suggestion, but honestly, the issue lies with the 'extra bits' that need to be rotated in place and clip into their respective gaps. The hole itself is wide enough to allow the nozzle head to pass through.

Back