General Fiat Panda 2004 trunk leak

Currently reading:
General Fiat Panda 2004 trunk leak

Hans888

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a challenging issue and I'm hoping someone here might have some experience or advice to offer. After every heavy rainstorm, I find water in my trunk. This is a recurring problem and I just can't seem to pinpoint where the leak is. I've made some pictures showing where it's leaking. I've searched through various forums but haven't made much progress in identifying the exact cause. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. Fiat Panda dualogic 2004
IMG_5013.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5002.jpeg
    IMG_5002.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47
Hi Hans,

Generally the water will enter at the Top of the car and slowly work downwards,

Over time the Sealant fitted at the factory dries and shrinks

Very common in 2008 puntos, now 500 models 2008+ have started.. So your 2004 has done ok🙂

My 2004 panda was great (and dry) but I sold it in 2010, after 14 years

Look around the 'mastic' sealed areas (joins where body panels meet)

I suppose you Could have a leaky Aerial /antenna as water creeps to both sides

This 500 thread will give you a picture of what could be involved :

Unfortunately, it's been a recurring theme, but the answer isn't always the same

Rear hatch seam
Rear fresh air vent valve
Rear quarter windows
Arial
Sunroof
Light clusters
Hatch glass bond
Rear washer pipe

Along with some I have probably forgoten

If there's nothing obvious

It's down to diagnose the problem

Strip the carpets and trim out, dust talcum powder everywhere and take it the car wash, or sprinkle it with a hose pipe

Sit in the boot with a torch

Last edited:
Hi Hans,

Generally the water will enter at the Top of the car and slowly work downwards,

Over time the Sealant fitted at the factory dries and shrinks

Very common in 2008 puntos, now 500 models 2008+ have started.. So your 2004 has done ok🙂

My 2004 panda was great (and dry) but I sold it in 2010, after 14 years

Look around the 'mastic' sealed areas (joins where body panels meet)

I suppose you Could have a leaky Aerial /antenna as water creeps to both sides

This 500 thread will give you a picture of what could be involved :
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate your help. Could you please share some photos indicating exactly where I should check for potential leaks? It would be immensely helpful to have a visual reference. Thanks again!

One of the areas on the Panda is here

By @Pugglt Auld Jock

By @Pugglt Auld Jock
Very glad to be able to report that Becky is still watertight!

By @Pugglt Auld Jock
Hello Koalar,

Thanks for your response and help. I have used sealant glue to refit the whole trunk rubber. Unfortunately its still leaking. So it must be coming from something else.

Hello Koalar,

Thanks for your response and help. I have used sealant glue to refit the whole trunk rubber. Unfortunately its still leaking. So it must be coming from something else.
As per post 4

There isn't just one cause

Best to take all the trim off

Sit in the boot

While someone pours water of rear

Can someone explain what happens when water enters between the crack (Circle in the photo). Water gets in here when its raining flowing from top to bottom behind the tail light. I intend to seal this part, but I'm uncertain of its effectiveness or what will happen. My car is leaking water from both sides at the bottom, leading me to believe the leak may originate from this area.
IMG_5604.jpeg

You have any clue? Where there others parts you’ve sealed with silicone?
Nope. It was only the seal I applied sealant to. Water leaks can be the very devil to sort out. I've known experienced coachworks spend hours on them - noone likes sorting this sort of stuff out. Good luck.

I had a boot leak a few weeks ago. I tested carefully with a jug of water and found it to be coming from the roof area near the tailgate hinges - I carefully lifted the rear 5cm of the black strips either side that cover the roof/side panel seams and there was a small gap on the left hand side. I sealed it with epoxy resin and tapped the black strips back in place with a nylon hammer. All sorted and watertight again.

Can someone explain what happens when water enters between the crack (Circle in the photo). Water gets in here when its raining flowing from top to bottom behind the tail light. I intend to seal this part, but I'm uncertain of its effectiveness or what will happen. My car is leaking water from both sides at the bottom, leading me to believe the leak may originate from this area.View attachment 437921
From outside
Screenshot_20240210_085710.jpg

From the inside
Screenshot_20240210_085907.jpg

Back