f1 2013 prediction thread

Currently reading:
f1 2013 prediction thread

It could be as simple as the reason why rally fans are glad to see the back of loeb...you tune in to watch a race..not one bloke make all the others look like they are driving cars a class below.

That's true, but even though Loeb is clearly the best (surely the best ever with his record?) I never got the impression that he was disrespectful to his team mate. He has also proven he can, and will drive other classes of car and event He just broke the Pikes Peak record by a minute and a half last weekend!!

That's true, but even though Loeb is clearly the best (surely the best ever with his record?) I never got the impression that he was disrespectful to his team mate. He has also proven he can, and will drive other classes of car and event He just broke the Pikes Peak record by a minute and a half last weekend!!

Have nothing against him he is a very talented man...but he killed WRC all you could do watching it was prey for him to break down so that they might be a chance for someone else.

I agree - it was a lot more entertaining when Colin was still around. Who can forget his rally in the Legacy (was it the 1000 Lakes?) that he rolled so many times it was strapped and taped together at the end, but the crowd loved him for it?

Well germany this weekend and I personally am hoping for a race half as good as silverstone .I know the tyres are a concern but they did make for a good race last weekend.as usual I am hoping for a ferrari win bur I suspect the winner could be one of two geemans :)

Good to see Vettel answer his critics by driving imperiously through the field like his fans always say he can rather than his usual method of using the fastest car to run out of drs range and just control the pace. Oh no wait he got stuck behind a much slower car forever...then ruined his own car in the attempt to pass, then nearly stacked it attempting to pass Raikkonen. He better hope his next team mate isn't Alonso or even Raikkonen, he might find himself looking a bit daft.

Nice to see mclaren have a stronger weekend and Lewis finally get a win in the mercedes.

Has anyone watched the Senna film? What are your opinions if you have :)

Interesting if sentimental, you get the impression he could walk on water while watching it but it definitely worth watching with all the period film, especially the confrontation between senna and balestre (sp) in the drivers briefing. I was only just old enough to remember him racing mansell in the mclaren I was watching live when mansell give him a lift on the side pod but good to see a bit more of the back story.

Has anyone watched the Senna film? What are your opinions if you have :)
I am more than old enough to have followed his career from the F3 days. I thought the film was very good, but it did sort of suggest he was something other than a very good racing driver.
He was very clever and more than a bit devious. Eg. because his F3 battle with Martin Brundle was so close, Frank Williams decided to give Senna and Brundle a test in his F1 car. Brundle was quicker than Senna and went home happy. Only to find that Senna had managed to wangle another run by claiming there had been a problem with the car on his run. Brundle learned a lot that day!
Senna was the fore-runner of Schumi in the "you give way or we crash" school of racing.
It is true to say that Prost was also a bit sneaky when required. Just ask Mansell when they were supposed team mates at Ferrari in '89 and '90.
But back to the movie, I also enjoyed the spat with Jean-Marie Balestre. He was an egotistical oaf of the first order who ran F1 like his own fiefdom. Nobody apart from the French were sad to see him ousted by Max Moseley who by comparison was the voice of calm dispassionate reason and logic.

I am more than old enough to have followed his career from the F3 days. I thought the film was very good, but it did sort of suggest he was something other than a very good racing driver.
He was very clever and more than a bit devious. Eg. because his F3 battle with Martin Brundle was so close, Frank Williams decided to give Senna and Brundle a test in his F1 car. Brundle was quicker than Senna and went home happy. Only to find that Senna had managed to wangle another run by claiming there had been a problem with the car on his run. Brundle learned a lot that day!
Senna was the fore-runner of Schumi in the "you give way or we crash" school of racing.
It is true to say that Prost was also a bit sneaky when required. Just ask Mansell when they were supposed team mates at Ferrari in '89 and '90.
But back to the movie, I also enjoyed the spat with Jean-Marie Balestre. He was an egotistical oaf of the first order who ran F1 like his own fiefdom. Nobody apart from the French were sad to see him ousted by Max Moseley who by comparison was the voice of calm dispassionate reason and logic.

Obviously it was way before I was born but I'm trying to learn more about the history of F1, the earliest I remember is Barichello, Coulthard, Fisichella, Hakkinen & Timo Glock!! We're watching it tonight so I'll let you know my opinion :)

I am envious of your youth!
Timo Glock! Eddie Jordan was famous for his wheeling and dealing with drivers, and often sold a drive in one of his cars, which is how he got Schumacher in the first place.
When Timo Glock (German) signed the joke was that the (Irish) Jordan team were going to re-name him Tim O'Glock!

I predict a season where Hamilton whinges...which to be fair is like predicting sunset at 5 past 4, where Button shows flashes of brilliance but ultimately fails to get it done, where vettel wins every thing and where Alonso grimly attempts to get it done despite his car..

Other than the mclaren failing miserably...I was bob on.

Oh well roll on next year with 1.6 turbos should be some spectacular explosions.

I would really like to know how McLaren have managed to lose the plot so much over the last few seasons. How can they be only 25 points ahead of Force India (who use McLaren's simulation programs, same engine and drivetrain) and nearly 200 points behind Lotus (the old Renault)?
Clearly Lewis knew which way things were going a long time before he announced his move to Mercedes in September last year. It had been on the cards for at least 6 months before that.
No doubt they want to get Peter Prodromou from Red Bull and find out what they have been doing for the last 4 years that McLaren haven't, but by then Red Bull will have moved on!

No doubt they want to get Peter Prodromou from Red Bull and find out what they have been doing for the last 4 years that McLaren haven't, but by then Red Bull will have moved on!

Didn't Adrian Newey design mclarens 4 years ago?

Edit: appears he started designing red bulls properly for the 07 season having left mclaren in 06 and was given an already designed car to work on when he got there.

Last edited:
Simply put, it's just boring at the moment in F1. Roll on next season! With Grosjean performing well towards the end, and showing his real talent, coupled with Raikkonen moving to Ferrari, it should be much more open. If Mercedes can turn those poles into podiums, that'd be nice.

So long as vettel doesn't win I'm happy.

So long as vettel doesn't win I'm happy.

That's an odd sentiment when you think about it..its not like Vettel is an awful person, he is talented and compared to Senna/Prost or Schumacher/Hill he's not been particularly villainous yet I can't stand him lol. Maybe its the way he worked with Mark Webber or the year he took Button out the championship in Spa but no ine not even Schumacher after 5 world titles was getting booed on the podium. Don't like him but dunno why...

he's not been particularly villainous yet I can't stand him lol.

You could hear the crowd booing at Singapore!

Personally, I don't like him because of his obviously superior car (not really his fault), but he did acknowledge this fact in the indian Grand Prix when he got out and "bowed" to the car. He's subtly quite smug, he treats mark webber quite badly when mark is actually a genuinely fine fellow.

Summed up by one of the statistics, "He hasn't won a Grand Prix starting from behind 3rd on the grid" or something along those lines.

Back