That winter rubber thread 2014

Currently reading:
That winter rubber thread 2014

I'm trying out Michelin Alpins this year instead of my usual Continental WinterContacts. I ordered them a few weeks ago and they're sitting ready to go. I'll probably change over in the next week or so simply to collect and pay for them.

Saw an 18 inch set of those on a focus ST. You do have to wonder why you'd go to all the expense of an ST then hobble it with Z grade rubber. Be willing to put money on it having torque steer and understeer characteristics that would have you travelling slower than cooking 1.6 on good tyres.

I brought my car with them on, i honestly hated them
They were seriously unbalanced rubber, even after been balanced
They didnt grip that well or help the car in anyway except been of a legal tread depth....

I'm trying out Michelin Alpins this year instead of my usual Continental WinterContacts. I ordered them a few weeks ago and they're sitting ready to go. I'll probably change over in the next week or so simply to collect and pay for them.

Im currently sat on Uniroyals MS plus 6's
But i might try something else when the time comes, to see what works and what doesn't

I do think any winte tyre is better then no winter tyre tho :)

Ziggy

My winters have arrived...may require some assembly.

Attachments

• 20141117_171547.jpg
    20141117_171547.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Ha!
Thing is you have to get out in wet and cold to put them on.....

Ive put my winter tyres back on the other day when I did my gearbox as front wheels were already off

Ziggy

Tbf I've used them for many years now this is just a new set to fit a new car, they only go on when I'm actually stuck or I hit an uncleared road. I live on a bus route..so unless the gritters haven't been out at all or I decide I'm gonna park in the back street, they'll stay in the boot all winter.

I get the street to myself in winter usually, even the bloke on 4 winters doesn't like to risk it..I'm actually on the kerb, just the snow is deep enough for the car to look level.

Attachments

• IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Where I currently am it's -1 and they don't think it's cold yet.

AFAIK It's also the law that they have to fit them. and they have studs on.
Costs 30 nok to drive in the center of Trondheim with studs.
Our 2" of snow is laughable to the Norwegians :)

Back