Technical Engine failure

Currently reading:
Technical Engine failure

Flynn50

Hi.

Just had engine failure warning on my 1.2 Eleganza. Still driving and running OK. I was wondering if there are any decent cheap fault code readers available or would it be as well to take it in to the garage?

I have tried to search the forum on the subject but cannot get the search function to work on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet. :shrug:

Thanks.

Andy.

Hi.

Just had engine failure warning on my 1.2 Eleganza. Still driving and running OK. I was wondering if there are any decent cheap fault code readers available or would it be as well to take it in to the garage?

I have tried to search the forum on the subject but cannot get the search function to work on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet. :shrug:

Thanks.

Andy.

Usually around £15 on ebay - reads and resets the light. The error may be spurious - does it have fuel, oil, water and compression? Then....not to worry.

Often an overnight without the battery often cures it - usually after you cancelled the error though.

Ok thanks☺

Any recommendations for the fault code reader?

Just panicking a bit if it is actually a serious issue and continuing to drive it will make things worse. (For worse read expensive ��)

Andy

Ok thanks☺

Any recommendations for the fault code reader?

Just panicking a bit if it is actually a serious issue and continuing to drive it will make things worse. (For worse read expensive ��)

Andy

Got mine from here - it's gone up by £2http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Reader-16-Pin-Alfa-Audi-BMW-Ford-Vauxhall-VW-Citroen-Fiat-/111694143398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1a017d5fa6

OK so I have the code reader and have found fault code P0172....System too Rich (Bank 1).

The car is running no differently to what it has always done, starts and drives fine.

It has done just under 100k and is probably ready for a spark plug and HT lead change as the plugs are about 2 years old and I've never changed the HT leads (4 or 5 years ish).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Andy

For anyone with the same issue:-

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0172
System Too Rich

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0172refers to
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a rich condition (too little oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1 . Note: This DTC is very similar to P0175, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0172
You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a misfire.
Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0172
The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. There could be a vacuum leak. There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem
Possible Solutions

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary Cleanthe MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced. Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

Ok so I've read that copy and paste reply I posted.... V6/V8/10 engine? MAF sensor? On a 1.2 petrol engine? Really? ☺

Anyway I've reset the fault code and it hasn't returned. Fingers crossed.....

Andy

Ok so I've read that copy and paste reply I posted.... V6/V8/10 engine? MAF sensor? On a 1.2 petrol engine? Really? ☺

Anyway I've reset the fault code and it hasn't returned. Fingers crossed.....

Andy

That usually does the trick. Did on my Seicento which threw the error when I was shuffling it in and out of the garage for a few days.

Back