Technical Electrical misbehaviour : Heated screen/mirrors

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical misbehaviour : Heated screen/mirrors

WitleyPanda

So, turn on the heated screen/mirrors and the dash indicates that drivers door is open, together with interior light comes on? Drivers door mirror was de-mounted, but wiring and connectors all looked good. ( Spring compressor made, Stem was epoxied in and been good). I do have a replacement but wanted to check if I should look elsewhere before pulling it all apart? How is the door closure sensed? 2012/13 MJ 4x4

Thoughts?

Agree with HH above. My thoughts based on a lot of fiddling and door lock troubles a few years back are that it sounds like a wiring issue in the mirror vicinity. If you have had is apart and its since then it fits. I would look carefully at the connectors in case something is slightly bent out of place and shorting back a live to the door lock which would cause this to happen. A tiny bit of metal in the connector would do it or damage in the pillar to door bellows area but thats not a regular Panda problem area, Maybe even a slightly loose earth wire. Heated screen used a lot of power so any poor earthing of that would cause issues. If the mirror heat and screen heat is on the same circuit and they share a common earth give that earth point a clean. Likely drivers door pillar area. If you look at the screen wiring BE VERY CAREFUL as the wires are easily detached from the screen and this could wreck the screen very easily. The front locks have not caused posts on here that I have seen but if you can remove the door card and moisture barrier and spray the lock with WD40, its a good cleaner and displaces water. If this restores order you will have an answer as whether the lock is involved. My money would be on the connections to the mirror being the most likely thing, the earth in particular. These connectors are not really meant for much more than a single use. If you can find the earth on the heatedmirror plug bridge an extra earth to bare metal and see if that fixes it. While not ideal fixing an additional earth may be easier than rectifying a bad earth contact you cant find.

Ah ha - I knew there had been a similar post before, and now I've found it. But,@WitleyPanda, look who posted it :)
I'd still be checking for dirty connections or a broken wire between the door and the car, as its more likely to be in an area that moves (the hinge) or gets wet (inside the door or mirror), rather than in the warm and dry car interior. Does the wiring connecter between the door and the frame unplug? If so, I'd start there... Probably an earthing issue with the heated mirror and finding a route to earth back via the door lock switch and inside light. All these items, and the heated screens too, are actually turned on and off by the body computer (alongside the internal fuse box), so any small false current can lead to all sorts of oddness.

Last edited:
Ah ha - I knew there had been a similar post before, and now I've found it. But,@WitleyPanda, look who posted it :)
I'd still be checking for dirty connections or a broken wire between the door and the car, as its more likely to be in an area that moves (the hinge) or gets wet (inside the door or mirror), rather than in the warm and dry car interior. Does the wiring connecter between the door and the frame unplug? If so, I'd start there... Probably an earthing issue with the heated mirror and finding a route to earth back via the door lock switch and inside light. All these items, and the heated screens too, are actually turned on and off by the body computer (alongside the internal fuse box), so any small false current can lead to all sorts of oddness.
HA HA HA :) Well when I sorted it back in Feb23, it was Ok.
Oncoming transit with unsecured load took out mirror in the summer, but was able to remount and make good. I did buy a spare mirror assembly but as family member needed car for work, the next morning repaired and all seemed good. Tested the heating function?

When vehicle available to review will strip and check connections, contact cleaning/protection spray rather than WD40. Thanks.

On my Discovery 1, if the rear window wiper fuse pulled it prevents a leakage current from the BCU enabling the door locking, so used to track poor connections, corroded contacts, expecting weird stuff. THANKS

If you had never disturbed the mirror I would go for the door hinge wiring.. Especially if it's Drivers failing 1st...😉
Will go for the mirror wiring as simpler than removing the door card and with the disturbance to head.

Rubber grommet in door aperture..

A 5 minute job 😉
Not a 5 minute job, least not when cold. The rubber grommet is not actually "in" the door aperture, it merely sits flush to the aperture, least on this one. I did with lolly stick extract the door end, but obviously nothing of interest at that end. There appears to be a large white multiway connector under the body end on the dog bone rubber moulding. Not working out how it latches? In daylight/dry will investigate further...............

I will look at my 500 in daylight.. I seem to recall it's a circular off-white fitting

But my previous failure was on a 199 punto
This was the plug arrangement
20200912_135103 (1).jpg

Back