Technical Odd Faults, warning lights etc as result of rear windscreen heater

Currently reading:
Technical Odd Faults, warning lights etc as result of rear windscreen heater

WitleyPanda

So turn ignition on, heat rear windscreen and interior light comes on together with drivers door open warning light comes on. door IS shut. Start vehicle no change. Stop engine, try again same result. Eventually clears and sometimes no faults. 1.3 diesel 4x4 2012/13 Battery replaced several months ago and in good condition, as you would hope. Any ideas? I will hook up the computer and see if any other errors come up at the weekend.

Peter

Corroded contact (prob earth) somewhere? There's a clearly a link between interior light on and door open warning. Can't think why the heated screen though. Try the interior light connections (at the plug on the light) as a start point. Or where the wires go into the door - something breaking where it folds back and forth? Computer may not tell you anything useful - as I've said before here, it only tells you what it *thinks* the sensors etc are trying to say, but isn't always right.

So the mirror head fell off today. Interesting as without it plugged in you cannot lock the vehicle. Also the heated rear windscreen also is the heated mirrors, so hoping if i replace mirror all goes back to normal.

So the mirror head fell off today. Interesting as without it plugged in you cannot lock the vehicle. Also the heated rear windscreen also is the heated mirrors, so hoping if i replace mirror all goes back to normal.
Ah yes - I’d forgotten the ‘connection’ between the door mirrors and the heated screen. Looks like the answer presented itself ! You’ll find another thread in this forum about how to put that back together (seems there’s a very strong spring to contend with)

There has been a GUIDE built for that mirror problem

There has been a GUIDE built for that mirror problem

And in Sept 2020 I added to the post with the tool I had made to undertake such reassembly. Alas fretting and life since have made further reassembly non viable option. Replacement coming from breakers.............. If it were warmer I may try again, but suspect that will have to re-engineer a tube with lock nut and epoxy etc.

Last edited:
Rebuilt, added epoxy resin as a secondary fixing mechanism, as damage to ABS lock ring.

Attachments

• IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 24
Back