Driving Techniques

Currently reading:
Driving Techniques

Best way to stop brakes seizing if car left for a long time or in cold weather? Advise I’ve found includes applying the handbrake just enough to secure the car, some people even advise leaving the handbrake off

Chocks, blocks, axle stands, storing the car in a hermetically sealed environment ... whatever you have access to...

Air tight termp controlled with minimal humidity
Or just move the car a little every couple of weeks

The above two replies are all good.
Applying the handbrake just enough will allow it to stick, same as if fully applied, so of no value.

If you intend/need to store a car for a long period, it needs to be on level ground, preferably indoors, (although outside where the wind can circulate is actually better than in a damp garage). Raise the car so the wheels are off the ground, to prevent the tyres flat-spotting, and do not apply the handbrake.

"or in cold weather"
If just parking normally when the weather is cold, there is no need for anything unusual. Just use the handbrake as normal. Manufacturers sell their vehicles into all markets, from the hottest to the coldest, without changing the brake specifications.

Know of any good ways of curing driving thread related deja vu?
12-bore to the left ear?
Theirs to make you feel better, yours to end the misery.
Other options may be available.
Meanwhile, stock up on tissues for the tears.

Best way to stop brakes seizing if car left for a long time or in cold weather? Advise I’ve found includes applying the handbrake just enough to secure the car, some people even advise leaving the handbrake off

Leave the handbrake fully off and chock the wheels. Even better, lift off the ground onto suitable axle stands, which will also prevent flat spots on the tyres.

Last edited:
The above two replies are all good.
Applying the handbrake just enough will allow it to stick, same as if fully applied, so of no value.

If you intend/need to store a car for a long period, it needs to be on level ground, preferably indoors, (although outside where the wind can circulate is actually better than in a damp garage). Raise the car so the wheels are off the ground, to prevent the tyres flat-spotting, and do not apply the handbrake.

If just parking normally when the weather is cold, there is no need for anything unusual. Just use the handbrake as normal. Manufacturers sell their vehicles into all markets, from the hottest to the coldest, without changing the brake specifications.

12-bore to the left ear?
Theirs to make you feel better, yours to end the misery.
Other options may be available.
Meanwhile, stock up on tissues for the tears.

I take it normal application of the handbrake would be pressing button in and pulling up as far as it goes?

:confused:
And then releasing the button, without releasing the lever.

Not sure what you mean?

As you release the button, be careful NOT to drop the lever. A lot of people allow the lever to drop one or more notches on the ratchet as they release the button, which can be enough to allow the car to roll away. Keep the lever pulled up as the button is released.

Are there any benefits to parking reverse or nose in? Is reversing into your garage not a good idea?
My garage has a door into our utility room through the back wall. Mrs Jock dries clothes there. There is also a pipe box in the corner which goes to the upstairs. So, reverse into garage, utility room and upstairs full of fumes and the dreadful wrath of Mrs Jock to be endured!

All pretty irrelevant though because I have so much car "stuff" (and a trailer and engine crane) stored there's no hope of getting any more than the front of the car through the entrance anyway!

I always reverse into our garage, makes it far easier and safer to drive out of it, they way our garage is located next to a busy road.

Have to say our garage gate is 4m wide, so easy parking :)

Are there any benefits to parking reverse or nose in? Is reversing into your garage not a good idea?

I am getting concerned about these questions. They are all the sort of questions that should have been answered whilst learning to drive. Your forum name suggests an age of 29 years, yet the questions often do not reflect that.
So some questions for you, Matt.
1. How old are you, really?
2. Do you actually have a driving licence?
3. Is it a full licence or a provisional?
4. If full, how long have you had a full licence?
5. Do you own a car? Running, on the road?

I am getting concerned about these questions. They are all the sort of questions that should have been answered whilst learning to drive. Your forum name suggests an age of 29 years, yet the questions often do not reflect that.
So some questions for you, Matt.
1. How old are you, really?
2. Do you actually have a driving licence?
3. Is it a full licence or a provisional?
4. If full, how long have you had a full licence?
5. Do you own a car? Running, on the road?

1. 31, 1987 is year I was born 2016 is the year i registered),

2. Yes I have and confession time I am also an ADI, my questions have been posted to get opinion not information, and to prove somewhat the varied opinions amongst these topics.

3. Obviously full.

4. 2004.

5. Yes, my personal car is a Punto Easy + 1.4 5 door in rock n roll blue.

2. Yes I have and confession time I am also an ADI, my questions have been posted to get opinion not information, and to prove somewhat the varied opinions amongst these topics.

If true (don’t beleve it for a second) then why ask such stupid questions? You could claim it was to make a point but you’ve never once made a point of proving anything.

I also note looking back you’ve claimed in 2017 that you’re an ORDIT Trainer, then a Month later claimed you were at university.....
You’ve since claimed you work back to back shifts..

You’ve asked in the past, how to open the bonnet, what the dip stick looks like and you’ve asked how to fill up the washer fluid (the latter being the most recent). These questions actually went beyond a simple lack of knolegde as any 17 year old taking a driving test is taught this stuff, but here you are claiming that you’re actually the one teaching students??

Nice try, I think you need to have a name change to Walter Mitty as you don’t seem to know what you do, or indeed how to do the job you claim to do.

If true (don’t beleve it for a second) then why ask such stupid questions? You could claim it was to make a point but you’ve never once made a point of proving anything.

I also note looking back you’ve claimed in 2017 that you’re an ORDIT Trainer, then a Month later claimed you were at university.....
You’ve since claimed you work back to back shifts..

You’ve asked in the past, how to open the bonnet, what the dip stick looks like and you’ve asked how to fill up the washer fluid (the latter being the most recent). These questions actually went beyond a simple lack of knolegde as any 17 year old taking a driving test is taught this stuff, but here you are claiming that you’re actually the one teaching students??

Nice try, I think you need to have a name change to Walter Mitty as you don’t seem to know what you do, or indeed how to do the job you claim to do.

I am all the things I have claime£ to be, although have now graduated so no longera student.

Something for you to think about, do you really think I would even know what an ORDIT trainer was if I didn’t know how to fill up washer fluid myself?

I've said in the past that forums can be strange places at times. I could be an 80 year old woman with an engineering degree still working on vehicles in my retirement...:D Sitting behind a computer screen it's so easy to give advise or tell stories that have happened in the past but in reality are just, well, a fictitious tale. Then again who knows! And that's the thing, you can only make an informed guess.

In the past it's been an eye opener for me when I actually met someone that had been talking about a subject on a forum & when I enquired casually he became all embarrassed & brushed everything aside. No big deal but bemusing all the same. I don't want to go into too much detail as this may still strike a chord with someone.

This is a large forum as forums go & there is a plethora of varied members whose knowledge varies from very little/zero mechanical wise, to the expert,& of course you have the way an individual writes/expresses their style. This is, to me anyway very important as you can come over as fractious, even if not intentional. Ah forums don't you just love 'em!!!:)

I am all the things I have claime£ to be, although have now graduated so no longera student.

Something for you to think about, do you really think I would even know what an ORDIT trainer was if I didn’t know how to fill up washer fluid myself?

Of course you are, you’ve done nothing than provide irrefutable evidence, can’t work out how to open the bonnet of a car, Need help with that, but you’re a driving instructor who has to teach students how to open the bonnet :rolleyes:

If you knew how to fill up the washer fluid on your car, then logically you’d not need to ask.... in your case you asked more than once. ;)

Back