General Drivers side door handle HANGING OFF!!!!!! :(

Currently reading:
General Drivers side door handle HANGING OFF!!!!!! :(

I've never owned another marque of vehicle where door handles routinely come off after a period of time. And this includes the boot micro switches failing! Two Fiat 500's owned, two years between them from build and both cars affected in the same way, utterly ridiculous. :bang:

I should be thankful they both came off when the car was still under warranty as it didn't cost me a penny to have them replaced/repaired. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if your car is out of warranty, Fiat should do the decent thing and replace them for free when they do come off.

All you people suffering from this problem (in the UK at least) - why not take a picture and post it on Fiat UK's Facebook page.

There's a fairly recent post from last week on there with several people suffering the same problem.

Was talking to my wife about it last night, and if it happens to hers later down the line she is going to kick off about it, warranty or no warranty:):D I won't argue with that (cowers behind the sofa)(y)

Hi all, I have a similar or identical problem with my drivers door handle, it still works I just have to be careful with it and lever it from opening end, I would like to replace the hinge, can anyone link a site to get them or is a main dealer good as any to get the part I need, I've read through the guide just thought I'd share this image here,

Lee.

IMG_20150813_122923.jpg

I'd wondered how widespread this problem was, as my car is now over 4 years old and it hasn't happened yet. However, the sales figures on Ebay, if accurate, suggest that it is very widespread. It's obviously a rubbish design, and Fiat should fix it, but as they won't I may buy a repair kit from Ebay and pre-emptively fit it, with plenty of lubrication.

Hi all, I have a similar or identical problem with my drivers door handle, it still works I just have to be careful with it and lever it from opening end, I would like to replace the hinge, can anyone link a site to get them or is a main dealer good as any to get the part I need, I've read through the guide just thought I'd share this image here,

Lee.

IMG_20150813_122923.jpg

Someone saved a few quid/thousand handle assemblies by making the pin out of non-stainless steel (n)

All you people suffering from this problem (in the UK at least) - why not take a picture and post it on Fiat UK's Facebook page.

There's a fairly recent post from last week on there with several people suffering the same problem.

Was talking to my wife about it last night, and if it happens to hers later down the line she is going to kick off about it, warranty or no warranty:):D I won't argue with that (cowers behind the sofa)(y)
I will be doing just that. I bought the part on eBay but the buyer picked the car up the following day so I managed to get one at my local dealers. Gave the buyer £50 back along with a print out of how to do it with the part, he did it the next day. Thanks everyone for all the advice and the guide on how to do it. I got the part from eBay today, so will keep that for my next project!

This question has been asked before but still no answers...
Has anyone replaced the "whole handle", not just the hinge kit?
The guide in post 140, is great to a point but I'm worried about the plastic mechanism on the LHS. It would be nice of FIAT to make a useful contribution instead of relying on the good work of a few well natured individuals.

This question has been asked before but still no answers...
Has anyone replaced the "whole handle", not just the hinge kit?
The guide in post 140, is great to a point but I'm worried about the plastic mechanism on the LHS. It would be nice of FIAT to make a useful contribution instead of relying on the good work of a few well natured individuals.

Hi, and welcome, :)
this MAY be of some help..

https://www.fiatforum.com/500-guides/316198-broken-door-handle-articulator-hinge-repair.html

Charlie

Thanks for the quick reply, Charlie. I have downloaded the pdf guide on post no. 140, but this is for the hinge replacement on the RHS of the handle.
I took the car to the garage to get the alternator replaced and forgot to warn them that the hinge was knackered, so the handle was in the passenger seat when I went to pick it up, completely snapped off. I need to replace the handle including the mechanism on the LHS. So if anyone has any information about the LHS plastic mechanism and its interconnections that travels through the door I would be most grateful.

Thanks for the quick reply, Charlie. I have downloaded the pdf guide on post no. 140, but this is for the hinge replacement on the RHS of the handle.
I took the car to the garage to get the alternator replaced and forgot to warn them that the hinge was knackered, so the handle was in the passenger seat when I went to pick it up, completely snapped off. I need to replace the handle including the mechanism on the LHS. So if anyone has any information about the LHS plastic mechanism and its interconnections that travels through the door I would be most grateful.

the elderly Bravo/a door handles are manky rubber :yuck:, a common upgrade is fitting a 500 handle..,
I'll try and post a link - HERE is the Brava thread..there is alink at bottom to a photo GUIDE..with downloadable PDF

let us know how you get on.

https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo-brava/22862-door-handle-2.html

https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo-bra...at-500-door-handles-1995-2001-fiat-bravo.html

Charlie

Last edited:
So, after picking up a 500 Abarth (63 plate) at the weekend, all seemed well with the car, got home to Bristol and the very next morning (in the middle of the Beast from the East part 2) the handle came loose!
Will be attempting to fix this either tonight or over the weekend with the wonderful PDF on post #140 , will see how i get along with this with my limited DIY skills!

I think every car has some fault's designed in to make dealer work

I know VW's have common problems with the rear door lock solenoid
Part is only available as part of the entire locking and windows regulator mechanism at considerable £££

Know 3 people with Passat's Bora's ect that have had them fail

So, after picking up a 500 Abarth (63 plate) at the weekend, all seemed well with the car, got home to Bristol and the very next morning (in the middle of the Beast from the East part 2) the handle came loose!

Will be attempting to fix this either tonight or over the weekend with the wonderful PDF on post #140 , will see how i get along with this with my limited DIY skills!

It’s a fiddly job. Are you just replacing the hinge or the whole handle?

It’s just the hinge I’ll be replacing, I watched a 10 minute video on YouTube last night to get the crux of it and (whilst fiddly) I think I’ll be able to get it done
Failing that I’ve booked a service for a weeks time at Bristol Abarth and may throw it in their direction, though that’s not the preferred option

It’s just the hinge I’ll be replacing, I watched a 10 minute video on YouTube last night to get the crux of it and (whilst fiddly) I think I’ll be able to get it done

Failing that I’ve booked a service for a weeks time at Bristol Abarth and may throw it in their direction, though that’s not the preferred option

That’s not too bad then. Top tip. When you undo the bolt on the front side of the handle which holds the hinge on. Use that hole in the door from inside to undo the Philips screw that holds the hinge onto the handle. Position the new hinge and again, do the screw up from inside. Much easier than trying to do it from outside as there’s not much room to get a stubby screwdriver in.

I'd wondered how widespread this problem was,

I had a 500 for five years. got rid of it three years ago. Im not going into too much detail about endemic problems because of the wrath of the Fiat-Fan-Boys.

Back then door handles were falling of, mine fell of within 12 months then the rear electrics failed where they get trapped by the rear hatch. Stop start never worked and it was nothing to do with battery regardless of what you read on this forum.

Back