General Drivers side door handle HANGING OFF!!!!!! :(

Currently reading:
General Drivers side door handle HANGING OFF!!!!!! :(

I'm glad to have got rid of my 500 with its catalogue of problems, the door handle falling off was just the start. All my Fiat parts had to come from the Fiat dealership so I paid a premium.

As regards the gear shift cables the asshole who follows me about on this forum has been wrong in every aspect of his criticism, the shift cable broke because the pivot point seized up.

I'm glad to get rid of this car and it's endless problems.

By the way, the VW stop start works every time, and too the poster with the diesel where the door handle fell off, go look at the sump,pan. It'll be corroded. Get it treated before you loose all the oil.

I'm glad to have got rid of my 500 with its catalogue of problems, the door handle falling off was just the start. All my Fiat parts had to come from the Fiat dealership so I paid a premium.

As regards the gear shift cables the asshole who follows me about on this forum has been wrong in every aspect of his criticism, the shift cable broke because the pivot point seized up.

I'm glad to get rid of this car and it's endless problems.

By the way, the VW stop start works every time, and too the poster with the diesel where the door handle fell off, go look at the sump,pan. It'll be corroded. Get it treated before you loose all the oil.

So did you come back especially to tell everyone how crap the 500 is? Why bother?

No I did-not, you lot are very childish in the way you respond. Always fighting and conflict.

The Fiat 500 is an incredible little car, I have friends with them had very few problems other than the classic problems illustrated at the various threads on this forum.

I have friends with other Fiat cars that had zero problems.

Some of my problems appear to be because it's the diesel version.

My purpose for posting these comments is so other owners can make decisions and judgments. Maybe not to buy the diesel. My partner was very sad to see the 500 go and I have to say that for a small car it's a performer in the diesel version.

I'll leave it alone now because you-all can't cope with comment that doesn't suit your view, get back into bed with each other and your little boys toys.

So did you come back especially to tell everyone how crap the 500 is? Why bother?
the truth hurts doesnt it! maybe we should apply fiat's approach and say what!? nothing is wrong with the car! learn how to drive it properly!

its exactly that attitude that has made Fiat a legend to poor customer service.

See what I mean about silly, and childish.

Where did how the car is driven ever come into the conversation or topic ? Fiat 500 has been the best small car I ever owned, I'm just glad to get rid because of the constant expense and poor dealership performance.

Now collect all those toys you threw out of your pram and put your handbag away before you go to the naughty room.

See what I mean about silly, and childish.

Where did how the car is driven ever come into the conversation or topic ? Fiat 500 has been the best small car I ever owned, I'm just glad to get rid because of the constant expense and poor dealership performance.

Now collect all those toys you threw out of your pram and put your handbag away before you go to the naughty room.
Sorry you have had a bad experience with your 500 ,the problem is patchy dealerships they all need to be uniformed by hq but do not seem to be, mine has been great but others are not which is wrong how can a part be covered say at my dealership but not at another :bang: i did have a 500 1.3 diesel my was faultless mainly motorways but i only had here 2 years(2008-10) so did not get the faults yours did ,unfortunately it seems as cost cutting goes on parts become cheaper =less quality as the handles issue is ripe it needs addressing hq should read these reports on here and amend shame they dont :bang:hope your vw lasts better for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sensible response, the biggest problem with the dealership was they had an opportunity to deal with the gearbox/cables problem within warranty. They dealt with the handle falling off and the shift gaiter falling to bits.

Our 500 had done 68000 miles in five years mostly up and down the M4, the engine was very eager though as you point out a lot of the parts have suffered cost-cutting so they fail.

We had VW's for many years with zero problems though our dealership was so poor until recently that we bought our cars in Somerset and had them serviced by a local garage.

Back to the Fiat dealership, very attentive and kept us informed of new models and excellent service, at the 11th hour I made a visit to the new service manager who was also the bloke that did the serving. Nothing short of rude, unhelpful and kept looking over the top of my head as I asked questions on various issues before I made the final decision to get rid of the car.

And to reiterate, it has been cheap motoring if you ignore the constant threat of failure, I also have a Fiat powered motorhome. I don't bitch about that because I have nothing to compare with but I do share my experiences, it's what this forum is for and it's about time the moderators did something about the fanboys/keyboard-warriors who pervade this forum.

Away from the bickering and back to Dtchbrd's query from yesterday - it's annoying for you that your doorhandle has broken, it really should be stronger. However, I don't think the prices you've been quoted are too awful at £123 fitted. Just get your mechanic to lubricate the mechanism while he's got it apart!

Last edited:
Thanks TrevC and jrkitching for your responses. I agree £132 isn't too bad. I am thinking ahead (in case my passenger side door handle comes off too. I do feel its a shame the door handle came off and I also feel that it should not really happen. In my opinion a door handle should be strong enough to do the job it is meant to do.

Thanks TrevC and jrkitching for your responses. I agree £132 isn't too bad. I am thinking ahead (in case my passenger side door handle comes off too. I do feel its a shame the door handle came off and I also feel that it should not really happen. In my opinion a door handle should be strong enough to do the job it is meant to do.

Actually I think £132 is a **** of a lot to fix something that's a known inherent defect on the car. I think you were particularly unlucky to have broken the part of the handle that's specific to the byDiesel; had it just been the hinge, the repair would have been much cheaper. Something to think about if you are considering the other side - it might just be worth replacing the hinge (and lubricating it properly) before the whole handle fails.

I've been saying since this very common issue was first reported that Fiat should redesign this part (or at least lubricate it properly during production) and replace failures free irrespective of warranty status. These are failing due to c**p design, pure & simple.

Last edited:
I think the By Diesel brushed chrome handle may well be the same as the current S model, might be worth checking in case they're charging a premium for the by diesel version.

Hi

Both of mine fell off , purchased new ones of eBay for £36
Still shocked it happened

Haha this reminded me of this thread! ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1432655150.546942.jpg

Hi guys
Looking for help here. The drivers door handle of my wife's fiat 500 fell off. After reading the forum I ordered the hinge repair kit and replaced the hinge. The black sliding peg at the back of the handle, (the bit nearest the door lock), came out with the handle so although the handle is back on it still will not open from the outside. Is there a fix for this part or do I need to order a new handle?

Thanks

Fiat have now started making a handle repair kit it costs £12.99.
you can buy it from the link below on ebay or from your dealer but as usual they will probably charge more.

$(KGrHqZHJEUFC,!SnSuQBQvRGeleV!~~60_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-500-DOOR-HANDLE-REPAIR-KIT-2008-PRESENT-/170953442540?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3A500&hash=item27cd9e84ec
I'v e just bought one of these from you on Ebay. Can I fit this without taking the door handle off? Here's a picture of what mine looks like. I've sold the car tonight, got the money in my bank. Just went out and cleaned the car and the bloody handle on the right hand side came off. It's still attached on the left and the door still opens. Help please, they're picking it up in 2 days time. I need to be able to at least tell them I can fix it for them.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 25
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Post number 140 in this thread has a guide to replacing the handle, having read it, i think you
would need to remove the door card.

I've downloaded your guide, and it's really good. I have ordered the part but as my buyer is picking up the car on Wednesday morning, I'm going to go to Fiat dealers tomorrow and see if they have any in stock so I can do it when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

Fingers crossed!!!

Back