General Dilemma time

Currently reading:
General Dilemma time

Howdy peeps,

The on going saga with the engine control light:

Those who perused yesterdays blog will know that I have been visited by the infamous 'E.C.F' (engine control fault).

After trotting round for a while this morning, I turned right into Bradley Lane and gave it some hoof to proceed.

Except it didn't.

It didn't do anything, no go, no nothing.

This lasted for about 2 heartbeats and off she went, happy as you like, BUT the E.C.F. had come on again.

Can someone point out what might be occurring please?

I mean, I'm all for a laff n a joke, but this is beginning to wear a bit thin.

As mentioned yesterday, it starts first time, every time.

It goes like **** off a shovel and no unusual quirks.

It only happens on right turns? (the right hand part of doughnuts and right turns)

I thinks it's a wire problem somewhere but I'm not very up on how the sparks work on the bug (I'm good wiv a namma)

Any ideas please shout, I'm lost here, so any input is better than what I've got at the mo.
George

Howdy peeps,

The on going saga with the engine control light:

Those who perused yesterdays blog will know that I have been visited by the infamous 'E.C.F' (engine control fault).

After trotting round for a while this morning, I turned right into Bradley Lane and gave it some hoof to proceed.

Except it didn't.

It didn't do anything, no go, no nothing.

This lasted for about 2 heartbeats and off she went, happy as you like, BUT the E.C.F. had come on again.

Can someone point out what might be occurring please?

I mean, I'm all for a laff n a joke, but this is beginning to wear a bit thin.

As mentioned yesterday, it starts first time, every time.

It goes like **** off a shovel and no unusual quirks.

It only happens on right turns? (the right hand part of doughnuts and right turns)

I thinks it's a wire problem somewhere but I'm not very up on how the sparks work on the bug (I'm good wiv a namma)

Any ideas please shout, I'm lost here, so any input is better than what I've got at the mo.
George
Hi George,
No special knowledge about the problem you are experiencing. You could try tapping /wiggling the relays in box next to battery.

Good luck

Jack

A friend with multipla had the random total lack of power , no engine control fault though, egr valve jammed open .

Unplug your egr valve electrical connector, if fault goes and doesn't return then you have found cause of problem.

If you have pre facelift multi unplugging egr doesn't cause mil to come on.

Jack

Does that mean I'll need one of those oby one canoby things? :confused:

Anybody know where the wires are for the EGR?

All I've managed to find so far is the wires under the airbox that seem to control the turbo (dump valve I think)

I looked on the intake side and I can see a connector but can't see where it goes, there's a sort of corrugated tube which I guess might have somethin to do with the EGR.

I'm pretty sure it's a loose wire or connector that's causing the trouble, it's just finding the sod.

Knowin my luck it's gonna be another broken wire inside the cable - that happened on my very first bug, a 1.6 petrol, it was the crank sensor. Only found that because the geezer I'd bought it from was good enough to have a spare one which he came out with and changed in about 5 mins. Examining the old one showed the break near the pick up head.

Anybody - please help.
George

Does that mean I'll need one of those oby one canoby things? :confused:

Anybody know where the wires are for the EGR?

All I've managed to find so far is the wires under the airbox that seem to control the turbo (dump valve I think)

I looked on the intake side and I can see a connector but can't see where it goes, there's a sort of corrugated tube which I guess might have somethin to do with the EGR.

I'm pretty sure it's a loose wire or connector that's causing the trouble, it's just finding the sod.

Knowin my luck it's gonna be another broken wire inside the cable - that happened on my very first bug, a 1.6 petrol, it was the crank sensor. Only found that because the geezer I'd bought it from was good enough to have a spare one which he came out with and changed in about 5 mins. Examining the old one showed the break near the pick up head.

Anybody - please help.
George
Remove black plastic sound pad from top of motor

Finger pointing at grey electrical plug on egr valve .

If unplugging it doesn't solve your problem then a
jeddi knight thing to read codes you will need. 1593789179339.jpeg

The dirty looking bit of rag on left of photo is in the loop at TOP of dipstick.

Howdy Jack, I got that plug off (it's a fiddly little bugger) but it made no difference at all.
My mate says he's got a oby one canoby gizmo and we'll plug it in tomorrow.
This is gonna get interestin, never had a gizmo on me bug yet, bet it'll come up with all sorts of junk.
I'll keep you posted.

By the way: do you (or anyone) know what is actually hooked up to the Engine Control Fault circuit?

Thinking about it (now I know why I got that headache earlier)...

If I can find out what circuits it shows Engine Control Fault for, I can check em out and tick em off till I find the culprit.

5 liters and a match don't cost too much do they?

George

Hi George,

It was a long shot but worth a go.

It could be a huge number of things causing the fault to come up on display.
Keep your fingers crossed that obi wan gives you a clue of what to track down.
Post up here what codes come up.
Lots of people interested in what's going on and helping.

Cheers Jack

And the saga continues:

Had to go to Chester to take my Jet Ski to my mates who has just bought it.

Got everything ready and ship shape, checked the tyres and lights etc. all was well for a early shunt on Sunday morning.

Starts up, E.C.F. shining nice an bright - getting used to that now. . .

Car going well, no issues as we rolled along the A41.

I stopped near Telford to check the trailer wheel bearings were running cool and grab a brew at the tea wagon.

Bacon butty and a brew later, got back into the shed and started up -

Hang on their's something missing - ah - NO E.C.F.!

Went to Chester, stayed all day arriving back home about 10.30 pm, and NO sign of the E.C.F.

Can anyone try to explain this for me, cuz it's got me bewildered.

All running well again (?)

George

Last edited:
And the saga continues:

Had to go to Chester to take my Jet Ski to my mates who has just bought it.

Got everything ready and ship shape, checked the tyres and lights etc. all was well for a early shunt on Sunday morning.

Starts up, E.C.F. shining nice an bright - getting used to that now. . .

Car going well, no issues as we rolled along the A41.

I stopped near Telford to check the trailer wheel bearings were running cool and grab a brew at the tea wagon.

Bacon butty and a brew later, got back into the shed and started up -

Hang on their's something missing - ah - NO E.C.F.!

Went to Chester, stayed all day arriving back home about 10.30 pm, and NO sign of the E.C.F.

Can anyone try to explain this for me, cuz it's got me bewildered.

All running well again (?)

George
Perhaps the electrical gremlins swapped vehicles during your brew swap and are now on to pastures new.

Check for stored fault codes when your mate with obdii reader around.

Jack

AHHHHHHHHHHH!, I didn't know you could do that without a fault present.

Am I a dildo or what.

Back up next weekend - might even have the E.C.F. alight again by then haha

George

Hi George.

Good news its gone out ( yes your mates tool should still find a stored code)

I was worried you had some other big failure.. unlikely in a JTD I know ;)

Did it stop all the messing about on roundabouts too..?

I know towing the trailer wouldve steadied you up a bit.. :)

Charlie

Yeah, the light went out on the way to Chester and it ain't been back (yet) but I've just ordered a oby wan k'noby box fron Amazon, so if, or when, it shows up I'll have a tool to find out what the bloody hell is going on.
That'll be a relief.
George

It's called:

AUTOPHIX OM126P

OBDII & EOBD+CAN

according to reviews and write ups it ay a bad bitta kit.

I'll say more once I've used it.

I paid about £33 from Amazon

George

Which oby wan did you go for,as it's something I really should invest in?

Its all down to you ..and what you want to do

OBD is an On Board Diagnostic Standard

Been on all vehicle for 15+ years

From £8 you get devices that read standard ENGINE codes

On ALL obd 2 cars.. so Fiat VW..JAPANES even French stuff ;)

But Remember its ..ENGINE only

For Airbag lights.. ABS faults you need a LOT more money.. garage stuff is £400+

Luckily the FIAT:Alfa line have some software you can run on a Windows laptop.. or i.phone

Licence is €50 then you want a few cables.. £10/£40 depending on what you want

Thanks for the info, as long as it'll point me in the right direction when that engine light comes on again that'll do for me.

Which, BTW hasn't shown itself since last week - don't know where it's hiding, but it's in there, somewhere :confused:
George

Back