Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Other laws have been relaxed, may be they could relax that one for qualified instructors only you still have your foot brake that should stop most nasty accidents.
Whilst the driver only holds a provisional licence, they are not yet qualified to drive. The accompanying driver will always legally be responsible for the way the car is driven.
The dual footbrake is rarely used. Can cause more risk than it saves. If the learner is drifting off course, some steering input is usually better than slowing or stopping. If crossing the centre line, I'd rather we returned to the left, than just slowed in front of a truck - just my choice. Other exciting scenarios are available.
Often when the instructor uses the dual brake, the learner will react and press theirs. Needing to lose 5 mph then becomes an emergency stop, not good in flowing traffic. Sadly, despite displaying L plates, which should be a warning to keep well away, following traffic will get way too close. Not good to test these peoples' reflexes.
Dual brake mostly used at very low speeds, such as to prevent a roll back on a hill start.
Are brand new drivers going straight out into big supermarket delivery vans, or is it further training to people already driving?
This is mostly experienced drivers moving into van driving. Some are experienced with vans, occasionally we get ex HGV drivers. We do get some that have only 3 months in a car, but these tend to be the easiest, as they are paying attention. Experienced van drivers can be terrible, HGV drivers tend to observe and plan well, but can find the smaller vehicle more difficult. Always something to learn.
The van (or company car when used for business journeys) is a workplace, so is covered by Health & Safety laws. Any collision can be investigated like any other workplace accident. Questions will be asked about safety rules, training etc. Just because you passed your test in a small hatchback, several years ago, does not mean it is a good idea to send you out in a van the size of a small planet, into narrow streets and culs-de-sac. (Strange plural, not cul-de-sacs as you'd expect) Much of the training is about planning. Not getting into tight spaces, rather than skills to extract afterwards. Will there be space to turn? Should I park here and walk with the trolley? Where should I park to reduce risk? Planning the escape before choosing the parking place. Etc.
Also need to get them to look up, as height becomes a consideration.
Should you turn off the fridge when approaching horses? If it starts up, noisily above the cab, will the horse react badly? Had one guy refuse to turn it off when approaching a skittish horse, fridge cut in, horse reacted. Got a dent in the side of the van, but thankfully horse and rider both ok.
Don't park on gravel on a steep slope, it might move. (There's a house not too far from here, with a steep drive, deep gravel, then a half metre drop to the lawn. The owners park their cars on a concrete area just inside the gate. Instructions to the delivery driver are to reverse the 400 yds down the narrow lane, past a few other posh houses, and to stop outside the gate. On no account place the van wheels on the gravel. They did lose one. Van just slid gently down the drive, like the gravel was liquid, and dropped onto the lawn. Nearly lost the 8-wheeler crane apparently while recovering it, and cost a lot in landscaping.:mad:

I have seen pictures of an early 1960s Austin A40 with two sets of controls, full pedal set, and two steering wheels. With steering boxes, easy to do, more complicated with a steering rack. Used by BSM.
Have seen similar pics of American school cars.
Road sweepers were often like this, until they realised LHD was cheaper and worked fine.
Not done as too expensive, and car is scrap value when done. Current duals mostly fit onto LHD pedal mountings, so no permanent modifications.

Whilst the driver only holds a provisional licence, they are not yet qualified to drive. The accompanying driver will always legally be responsible for the way the car is driven.
The dual footbrake is rarely used. Can cause more risk than it saves. If the learner is drifting off course, some steering input is usually better than slowing or stopping. If crossing the centre line, I'd rather we returned to the left, than just slowed in front of a truck - just my choice. Other exciting scenarios are available.
Often when the instructor uses the dual brake, the learner will react and press theirs. Needing to lose 5 mph then becomes an emergency stop, not good in flowing traffic. Sadly, despite displaying L plates, which should be a warning to keep well away, following traffic will get way too close. Not good to test these peoples' reflexes.
Dual brake mostly used at very low speeds, such as to prevent a roll back on a hill start.

This is mostly experienced drivers moving into van driving. Some are experienced with vans, occasionally we get ex HGV drivers. We do get some that have only 3 months in a car, but these tend to be the easiest, as they are paying attention. Experienced van drivers can be terrible, HGV drivers tend to observe and plan well, but can find the smaller vehicle more difficult. Always something to learn.
The van (or company car when used for business journeys) is a workplace, so is covered by Health & Safety laws. Any collision can be investigated like any other workplace accident. Questions will be asked about safety rules, training etc. Just because you passed your test in a small hatchback, several years ago, does not mean it is a good idea to send you out in a van the size of a small planet, into narrow streets and culs-de-sac. (Strange plural, not cul-de-sacs as you'd expect) Much of the training is about planning. Not getting into tight spaces, rather than skills to extract afterwards. Will there be space to turn? Should I park here and walk with the trolley? Where should I park to reduce risk? Planning the escape before choosing the parking place. Etc.
Also need to get them to look up, as height becomes a consideration.
Should you turn off the fridge when approaching horses? If it starts up, noisily above the cab, will the horse react badly? Had one guy refuse to turn it off when approaching a skittish horse, fridge cut in, horse reacted. Got a dent in the side of the van, but thankfully horse and rider both ok.
Don't park on gravel on a steep slope, it might move. (There's a house not too far from here, with a steep drive, deep gravel, then a half metre drop to the lawn. The owners park their cars on a concrete area just inside the gate. Instructions to the delivery driver are to reverse the 400 yds down the narrow lane, past a few other posh houses, and to stop outside the gate. On no account place the van wheels on the gravel. They did lose one. Van just slid gently down the drive, like the gravel was liquid, and dropped onto the lawn. Nearly lost the 8-wheeler crane apparently while recovering it, and cost a lot in landscaping.:mad:
All that training yet they still park on bends around here.

Years ago the T bit and the end of a cul-de-sac was a turning area and kept clear. nowaday people seem to think the T bit is a parking area.

All that training yet they still park on bends around here.

They should be trying to find the best answer to the situation they're presented with. A busy bend, not good, but a quiet residential street, where speeds should be low, on a bend might be better than a long walk. They should be assessing potential parking as they arrive, not after they've found the house. We can hope.

There's always a danger they will meet their instructor, which is fun as they look embarrassed.

Royal Mail can park almost wherever they like, if necessary, although not on crossing zig-zags. They are encouraged to park as close as possible to boxes when making collections. They are not exempt from seatbelt rules, despite it being rare to see them worn.

Legally they are permitted to drive up to 50 metres between stops without wearing a seatbelt (as are all drivers of goods vehicles on deliveries).

True, but they do not seem to be able to measure 50m. It is not very far. Like two houses. That rule was originally intended for people like milkmen. If a postman has two deliveries that close together, they should walk it.

bloke on the radio said you have to do it in shifts, so if there are 6 in the house hold and 6 more visit some would need to stay in the house and some in the cars take in in turns to be the six in the garden, In reality its not going to happen as it isnt already, loads have just been meeting up with loads of people, big green near my unit has loads of people on it all seem to know each other,
Everyday isn't a weekend for me everyday is a monday.

I see a taxi place on facebook has had screens fitted between front and rear seats, council approved, could driving instructors not have something like this between pupil and instructor?

Nope law requires person instructing the driver be in the passenger seat so they can take control of the steering wheel if needed

Also most driving school cars are dual control so kind of hard to use from the rear seat

Nope law requires person instructing the driver be in the passenger seat so they can take control of the steering wheel if needed

Also most driving school cars are dual control so kind of hard to use from the rear seat
you cant seriously have though i was saying the instructor sits in the back?:rolleyes:

Could you not do things mr bean style with an arm chair on the roof and some broom handles and such to operate the controls??

We should have been tracking and tracing from the start. This will not only help isolate the virus, but also give us valuable data on how it transmits. The smartphone will show if we've been in close proximity to infected others, but even before this we could have gathered data on wheter it was transmitted by close contact or not.

It might be reasonably safe to be around others, as long as no-one coughs or sneezes, if transmission has mostly been by hugging and shaking hands etc. This data shoud be being gathered worldwide.

On another thought, how did so many in Africa get it? On the telly there are stories of so many poor people needing help, yet none of those will have been jetting around the world on holiday or business. Was the disease caried to them by their aid workers?

Google and Apple are making a tracing app for it, through Bluetooth.

... may as well get Huawei to do it

Aren't they already?:devil:

If the app uses bluetooth to identify who is close and for how long, it needs several criteria to be operational at once.

First the app needs to be running - using battery power.
It needs bluetooth on. Mine is on, but invisible to others, only connects to either car or my earwig. Whilst others may be able to see that there is a bluetooth device nearby, it will not be able to connect to it, but could record its ID. Tracing that needs those IDs to be held somewhere. Do they already know, or will we be required to give that info.
If Bluetooth is visible, it leaves phones wide open to hackers, who will be piggybacking on the apps very quickly. Passwords, bank data, etc. So we can warn you of Covid exposure, while emptying your bank account. All sanctioned by government.

If it needs a data connection, many phones will be excluded. I have data turned off most of the time, usingit for a few minutes a few times a year. It's a phone! (Did you know they can also make phone calls?)

I will frequently go out without the phone.

Normal
This word has been seen alot ...... So whats your opinions on "getting back to normal" this is just a general comment nothing to in depth
Some one might have made this comment on her "normal was the problem in the first place"
and then of course theres "the new normal"
Just wondered what your thoughts were .....keep it polite .......and if you got a time machine like me !!!!!! lol

Whatever normal was for you personally, something will have changed and will likely remain changed for some time yet - queueing for shops for example, still gonna happen for a while if the shops have any sense. Working from home (where feasible), still gonna happen for a while if the employers have any sense (luckily mine does and aren't even thinking about letting most of us back to the office until at least Sept). Going to visit family? Getting closer to normal, but I'm still not gonna risk going to see my old mum just yet.

Back